Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Brian Dobie

All non-CFL football related discussion

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby FrostyWinnipeg » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:00 pm

All right Brian Dobie naysayers, he is now the winningest coach in IG Field history.

And you didn't want him to coach the Bombers :P
A proud citizen of Willypeg
FrostyWinnipeg

Postby Achilles » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:49 pm

No.
Achilles

Postby BomberBum » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:46 pm

You are kidding right ?
BomberBum

Postby WpgFan47 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:33 pm

Love it! Winningest coach in IG Field History!
Word to Big Bird
WpgFan47

Postby billfrank » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:45 am

FrostyWinnipeg wrote:All right Brian Dobie naysayers, he is now the winningest coach in IG Field history.

And you didn't want him to coach the Bombers :P

I don't usually follow the Bisons, but I listened to part of the game on radio, and was surprised how enjoyable it was. It was a pleasant experience to see the home team in front, and having success offensively. I'd almost forgotten what it was like.
billfrank

Postby The Unknown Poster » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:46 am

My only experience with Dobie was very negative. Doesn't have the maturity or smarts to be a pro coach
Quite frankly, Glenn's balls looked terrific.
The Unknown Poster

Postby bluebeard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:29 pm

Big jump from CIS to the CFL, especially to come in as a head coach. Doubt that he would make it.
bluebeard

Postby bear_pants » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:16 am

Dobie's greatest asset is that he's a great recruiter. He finds players from jr football all over the country (including this Jordan Yantz kid who I hear might have a CFL shot after a few years of CIS) and convinces them to come to university. He has a great gig that he loves. Not only would no CFL team be interested in him but he would have interest in the CFL if they came knocking.
"I've seen suck before but these guys were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked" -Homer Simpson
bear_pants

Postby blueandgold2k » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:06 pm

bear_pants wrote:Dobie's greatest asset is that he's a great recruiter. He finds players from jr football all over the country (including this Jordan Yantz kid who I hear might have a CFL shot after a few years of CIS) and convinces them to come to university. He has a great gig that he loves. Not only would no CFL team be interested in him but he would have interest in the CFL if they came knocking.

He tells kids what they want to hear. For every Jordan Yantz kid on that team there's a good number of others who have been sold one thing and found out in reality it was another.

Also, it seems to be no coincidence that Dobie hasn't really done anything in terms of fielding a contender since they changed the eligibility rules. Back when the Bisons won the Vanier Cup, the average age of the Bisons players was something like 25.6, the Grey Cup winning Montreal Allouettes that year had an average age of 24.3...the Vanier Cup team was on average older than the Grey Cup team. The reason was a gap in the eligibility rules...Junior eligibility and College eligibility weren't combined. So Dobie would round up guys coming out of their final year of Junior, and put them on his team, and they'd technicially have the 4 years of eligibility. So they'd take 21 or 22 year old kids out of Junior and then keep them till they were anywhere from 24 - 27.

The CIS then fixed that loophole, now counting a player's years in Junior against their college eligibility. Since they did that and Dobie couldn't recruit kids in their early 20's and keep them till their mid to late 20's he's not been able to contend, Coinicidence?
"Kevin Glenn goes long to Milt Stegall.....and he's got it......AND HE'S GONE....." -Bob Irving (during his near heart attack at Commonwealth)
blueandgold2k

Return to General Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts