Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

What a disgusting budget....

All non-CFL football related discussion

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby road griller » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm

cybergomer wrote:
road griller wrote:Good post iso, goes to show even conservative governments can't stop the bleeding.

We can't afford even the basics roads, fire, police, paramedics, teachers ect. What are we going to do? Cut back on good paying jobs, these families get McJobs lose their homes, they go for sale. They all try and under cut each other and boom. The race to the bottom begins.

It already has, we are just in the early stages. America has a head start on us, but also has not even come close to bottom.

So in the end all stories begin with once upon a time. Once upon a time we could afford and sustain our way of life. But it was a long time ago. For many it was before the day they were born.

Its a done deal, don't sweat the small stuff.

The problem being that to some people this isn't "small stuff". There are people that an extra $20 can go along way to making sure that they eat for the following week.

With Hydro wanting to increase rates 4% a year for the next 10 years, the province taking more PST on things that people have to buy on top of the increased scope of the PST that we got last year, the added fees from the City of WPG to pay for garbage bins and not to mention the prices of food going up, its enough to drive a man to drink, and even that could end up bankrupting some people now.

People may be more willing to accept these increases if their paycheques represented the same increases.

Yup, you are right. And we are an afforable place to live with a decent economy.

Wages will not go up, 0's or rollbacks. People will have less spending power, more jobs will be lost.

This goes far deeper than 300 bucks a year and the borders of Manitoba or Canada for that matter.

Quality of life, the standard of living we are used to is going away. How long we can hold on and how far it will drop are the only questions that remain.

Its enough to drive a person crazy, if they let it.

The 60/70's was like the Titanic steaming out of control, the late 70' early 80's they seen it and took some action. The 90's was closing the compartment doors.

Like the Titanic, our fate was sealed long before they seen the iceberg.
Winners win, losers lose.
road griller

Postby peg_city » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:08 pm

And here is the platform for the next election

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ ... 20321.html

This election will probably be close. The Conservatives will buy enough editorials to keep this an issue for the next two years. The only counter is if the NDP played the demographics well enough.
peg_city

Postby EastSideRocks » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:21 pm

road griller wrote:Ya, the Cons would never pass a bill that changed a law.

(see thirty 8.)

Majority's do what they want to.

My advice, don't worry be happy.

BTW, great post ESR. I guess you disagree with 99.9% of my posts now.

It might be closer to 97% now. I've found a lot of your posts lately pretty entertaining and got a kick out of them.

What is even scarier is that we are on the same page entirely on this topic. It would be quite odd if we became allies... what a formidable team that would be!
EastSideRocks

Postby JuranBoldenRules » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Better to increase consumption taxes than income taxes. At least this increase will be spread throughout the population, not just the middle class without a full-time accountant to hide our money from the taxman. Would be nice if all levels of government head in this direction, recently the Feds are going the other way.

The politics of it are not good though.
Good is the enemy of great.

Show me a good loser and I'll just show you a loser.
JuranBoldenRules

Postby road griller » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm

EastSideRocks wrote:
It might be closer to 97% now. I've found a lot of your posts lately pretty entertaining and got a kick out of them.

What is even scarier is that we are on the same page entirely on this topic. It would be quite odd if we became allies... what a formidable team that would be!

I'm in, with your brains and my uncanny good looks we can't lose.

BTW great post on the Glenn situation.
road griller

Postby EastSideRocks » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 am

road griller wrote:
EastSideRocks wrote:

I like the way in you think... Great minds think alike!

This could be the start of a beautiful relationship. We should join as one to create one id.

Road Griller & East Side Rocks = Road Griller Rocks... That should work.
EastSideRocks

Postby road griller » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:16 pm

EastSideRocks wrote:
road griller wrote:
EastSideRocks wrote:

This could be the start of a beautiful relationship. We should join as one to create one id.

I can hear the first chant at the new stadium now 'RGR! RGR! RGR!'

We totally dominated this thread.
road griller

Postby EastSideRocks » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 pm

road griller wrote:
EastSideRocks wrote:
road griller wrote:
EastSideRocks wrote:

I can hear the first chant at the new stadium now 'RGR! RGR! RGR!'

We totally dominated this thread.

You're right. In think we just beat OB

RGR 1
OB 0
EastSideRocks

Postby 17to85 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Mark H. wrote:
iso_55 wrote: The old highways are crumbling & schools need to be fixed but the money isn't going there to fix them. Just absolute insanity.

I've always thought Alberta roads were pretty good, compared to ones we have in Manitoba!

they are, especially having the paved shoulders everywhere, but some are in better shape than others and some do need some repairs.... I'll say this, driving up the #6 highway in manitoba between winnipeg and where my parents live is absolutely terrifying, that road is a complete piece of **** and it's no wonder there's as many accidents on it as there are. Needs to be widened considerably at the very least.
"You know me to be a very smart man. Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
17to85

Postby iso_55 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:27 pm

17to85 wrote:
Mark H. wrote:
iso_55 wrote: The old highways are crumbling & schools need to be fixed but the money isn't going there to fix them. Just absolute insanity.

I've always thought Alberta roads were pretty good, compared to ones we have in Manitoba!

they are, especially having the paved shoulders everywhere, but some are in better shape than others and some do need some repairs.... I'll say this, driving up the #6 highway in manitoba between winnipeg and where my parents live is absolutely terrifying, that road is a complete piece of **** and it's no wonder there's as many accidents on it as there are. Needs to be widened considerably at the very least.

My family homesteaded in the Ashern-Moosehorn area up Hwy #6... in the early part of the 20th century... Road that bad, eh? I remember when Hwy 6 was gravel all the way from the Perimeter north in the early to mid 60's... Terrible because we'd always go up to see my aunts, uncles & cousins & we couldn't keep the windows open because of the white blinding dust & we'd be dying inside the car because of the summer heat. Never forget that, 17to85...
iso_55

Postby 17to85 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:50 pm

iso_55 wrote:
17to85 wrote:
Mark H. wrote:

My family homesteaded in the Ashern-Moosehorn area up Hwy #6... in the early part of the 20th century... Road that bad, eh? I remember when Hwy 6 was gravel all the way from the Perimeter north in the early to mid 60's... Terrible because we'd always go up to see my aunts, uncles & cousins & we couldn't keep the windows open because of the white blinding dust & we'd be dying inside the car because of the summer heat. Never forget that, 17to85...

well what a coincidence, my family is from Ashern as well. That road has become so busy, especially with truck traffic since the railway came out years ago and it obviously hasn't had the money put into it to maintain it, it's a narrow road and the edge of the lane where it meets the gravelshoulder seems to be eroding away more and more all the time.
"You know me to be a very smart man. Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
17to85

Postby iso_55 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 pm

I was thinking of going to visit my cousins up there this summer. I had no idea the road is that bad, wow. You know what will happen. There'll be some huge accident with multiple fatalities & then the government will do something. Always the way.
iso_55

Postby EastSideRocks » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:53 pm

iso_55 wrote:I was thinking of going to visit my cousins up there this summer. I had no idea the road is that bad, wow. You know what will happen. There'll be some huge accident with multiple fatalities & then the government will do something. Always the way.

I drive winnipeg to lake manitoba narrows 30 times a year. The highway isn't that busy and it is an easy drive... Nothing wrong with #6 and #68.
EastSideRocks

Postby Fraser » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

JuranBoldenRules wrote:Better to increase consumption taxes than income taxes. At least this increase will be spread throughout the population, not just the middle class without a full-time accountant to hide our money from the taxman. Would be nice if all levels of government head in this direction, recently the Feds are going the other way.

The politics of it are not good though.

Actually the new federal budget inceasd consumption tax in the form of increasing practically every import tarriff other than then the few they lauded themselves for eliminating.

To the other people commenting on how "small" this increase is, you seem to be igoring the fact that we are already one of the most heavily taxed provinces in Canada.
Dear ******,

I didn't know that you were a ****** but then I phoned you and you were. - Larry David.
Fraser

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts