Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

What a disgusting budget....

All non-CFL football related discussion

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby 17to85 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm

EastSideRocks wrote:
iso_55 wrote:I was thinking of going to visit my cousins up there this summer. I had no idea the road is that bad, wow. You know what will happen. There'll be some huge accident with multiple fatalities & then the government will do something. Always the way.

I drive winnipeg to lake manitoba narrows 30 times a year. The highway isn't that busy and it is an easy drive... Nothing wrong with #6 and #68.

To say there's nothing wrong with it is an understatement. It's drivable but I'd leave it at that. I drive all over Alberta for work and I've driven many places in Saskatchewan and BC as well as quite a bit of travelling around Manitoba before I came out west and that stretch of road is the worst I've seen. It's really quite eye opening to see what highways are like out here compared to Manitoba.
"You know me to be a very smart man. Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
17to85

Postby Jaxon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:56 am

The Province already collects .14 per liter gasoline tax, which is supposed to be directed to roads and bridges. The trouble is that this has been raided over the years for a multitude of social engineering projects.

People want better roads and bridges, so the NDP tell us that this tax will pay for what we want. Unfortunately it is a lie.

In reality, we need to shrink the size of government and live within our means. We can have good road and bridges, for the current gas tax revenue. What we can't have is a bloated civil service that makes up to large a percentage of the population. It just isn't sustainable.
I support amateur football.
Jaxon

Postby EastSideRocks » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:17 pm

17to85 wrote:
EastSideRocks wrote:
iso_55 wrote:I was thinking of going to visit my cousins up there this summer. I had no idea the road is that bad, wow. You know what will happen. There'll be some huge accident with multiple fatalities & then the government will do something. Always the way.

I drive winnipeg to lake manitoba narrows 30 times a year. The highway isn't that busy and it is an easy drive... Nothing wrong with #6 and #68.

To say there's nothing wrong with it is an understatement. It's drivable but I'd leave it at that. I drive all over Alberta for work and I've driven many places in Saskatchewan and BC as well as quite a bit of travelling around Manitoba before I came out west and that stretch of road is the worst I've seen. It's really quite eye opening to see what highways are like out here compared to Manitoba.

In terms of Manitoba Highways #6 is pretty nice and over the last 10 years they have re-surfaced a bunch of it. There are highways that are a LOT worse than #6 in this province.
EastSideRocks

Postby peg_city » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:52 am

Jaxon wrote:The Province already collects .14 per liter gasoline tax, which is supposed to be directed to roads and bridges. The trouble is that this has been raided over the years for a multitude of social engineering projects.

People want better roads and bridges, so the NDP tell us that this tax will pay for what we want. Unfortunately it is a lie.

In reality, we need to shrink the size of government and live within our means. We can have good road and bridges, for the current gas tax revenue. What we can't have is a bloated civil service that makes up to large a percentage of the population. It just isn't sustainable.

I'm just wondering if you can provide a link of the growth of the provincial government has been in part as a result of the civil service (I'm not saying you're wrong, because I'm sure you're right, but I can't seem to find anything on the internet within Manitoba).
peg_city

Postby RebusRankin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 pm

2007-2011 1235 more civil servants hired according to Tom Brodbeck. Pay them an average of $50,000 and that's over 60 million per year.
"I pretty much quit playing when that one guy took over for Cal (Murphy)," Bryant said, referring to Jeff Reinebold. "He was just an idiot. I didn't come back because he cut my salary to something ridiculous."
RebusRankin

Postby peg_city » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:34 am

RebusRankin wrote:2007-2011 1235 more civil servants hired according to Tom Brodbeck. Pay them an average of $50,000 and that's over 60 million per year.

This really doesn't mean anything.

From my understanding, the growth in government has been largely the result of increased spending in healthcare and education. Other 'entitlement' programs have also contributed to the growth in government however healthcare and education have been the big 2. It's easy to say that the growth in government is unsustainable, but it's difficult for me to determine where the cuts should be specifically (because of a lack of information).
peg_city

Postby RebusRankin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm

That's civil servants, not doctors, nurses, teachers etc. Easy to cut bureaucrats.
"I pretty much quit playing when that one guy took over for Cal (Murphy)," Bryant said, referring to Jeff Reinebold. "He was just an idiot. I didn't come back because he cut my salary to something ridiculous."
RebusRankin

Postby MXZ800 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 pm

The only real way out of this is to privatize government funded programs. Publically funded services delivered by private organizations. Theybprovide the same services at a more realistic cost to the public. Why should we be paying for inflated governent salaries and pensions that wouldn't be nearly as high in the private sector? You may argue that we need higher paying jobs to elevate our standard of living but u fail to realize that inflating salaries raises the cost of taxes and service fees.

Don't waste money runing powerlines down thebwest side of the lakes. Stop funding screwed up social programs. Stop providing for users abusing welfare and disability.

If you expect your population to spend within their means u can't go out spending like drunken sailors.
---------------------------------------------------------

Chances are I posted this message while pooping
MXZ800

Postby road griller » Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 pm

McJobs for everyone!!!!
Winners win, losers lose.
road griller

Postby peg_city » Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

MXZ800 wrote:The only real way out of this is to privatize government funded programs. Publically funded services delivered by private organizations. Theybprovide the same services at a more realistic cost to the public. Why should we be paying for inflated governent salaries and pensions that wouldn't be nearly as high in the private sector? You may argue that we need higher paying jobs to elevate our standard of living but u fail to realize that inflating salaries raises the cost of taxes and service fees.

I know what you are saying put the privatization (or a portion of it) of healthcare for example needs to be done properly. We don't want something similar to the US where more government revenue goes towards healthcare (per person) then in Canada and gets worse or similar results (not to mention the insurance costs, bankruptcy etc).

I haven't looked into the European two tear systems and how they are.
peg_city

Postby peg_city » Tue May 07, 2013 10:34 pm

So I finally looked into the growth of government in Manitoba during the recent history (1997-1998 to 2011). (because I have no life)

(all are as a % of GDP in Manitoba)

There has been a noticeable growth in the provincial budget during this time. In 1997-1998, government revenue/expenditures accounted for 17% of the Manitoba's GDP, now between 26-27% (Which from my understanding is characteristic of most provinces during this time).

The main growth areas for revenue are federal transfers (4% of the total increase of the around 9% of the total increase in revenue). Income tax (both personal and corporate) account for around a 2% increase.

For expenditures the obvious one is healthcare which accounts for a 6% increase in the growth of expenditures (of the total 10%). Education was 2%, community resource development 1%, Justice 1% and family services 1%.

The only good news was our debt servicing went down 1%.

Make whatever conclusions you want. It probably needs further analysis which I don't know how to do in a timely manner.
peg_city

Postby road griller » Wed May 08, 2013 6:37 am

It means sit back relax, enjoy your time with friends and family. Party, party, party.

This 20th Century version of 'capitalism' is on life support, has been for decades.

We are on the Road To Nowhere, may as well enjoy the ride. Cheers!
Winners win, losers lose.
road griller

Previous

Return to General Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts