Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

UFC in Winnipeg June 15th

All non-CFL football related discussion

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby BlueBallz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 pm

SPuDS wrote:
BlueBallz wrote:
bigg jay wrote:Barao is officially off the card. Henderson vs Evans is now the main event. It remains to be seen if Wineland will stay on the card with a different opponent.



Awesome!! UFC Canada just confirmed me for getting a one-on-one interview with Dan Henderson for the 13th...so stoked!!!


congrats man, that is awesome news indeed. should be a blast.


Thanks bro

Happens tomorrow, should be cool meeting Henderson...was at their open work out today at Portage Place, did a story on that....I might get a media pass for the event so holding my fingers.

Awesome how the city is buzzing because the UFC is here...finally :P
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"


Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
User avatar
BlueBallz
 
Posts: 8039
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:41 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby SPuDS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:30 pm

SPuDS wrote:congrats man, that is awesome news indeed. should be a blast.


BlueBallz wrote:thanks bro

Happens tomorrow, should be cool meeting Henderson...was at their open work out today at Portage Place, did a story on that....I might get a media pass for the event so holding my fingers.

Awesome how the city is buzzing because the UFC is here...finally :P


well we have been leading the charge for MMA and hosted a bunch of events so it makes sense that the hype is up. Media pass would be sick! I'll be there in the upper deck lol. I'm definitely jealous of you meetin' one of the sports greats. Closest I got was a picture and autograph with andrei orlovski :D
-Television. Television is the explanation for this - you see this in bad television...

-Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch..

(boondock saints)
User avatar
SPuDS
 
Posts: 17367
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:07 pm

Postby BVD » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Good luck with Henderson, love him as a fighter but from my "contacts" they say as a person Dan is a big time jack ***. Hopefully he treats you with respect for your interview!

Try to interview Pat Barry, that guy is one of the most fan friendly UFC fighters they have!
User avatar
BVD
 
Posts: 12026
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby BVD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:39 am

Fights were pretty darn bad aside from Roy Nelson, the atmosphere was great, only 2 fights in the crowds that I could see.

Lots of hometown decisions to a point that Sherdog radio is now bad mouthing the Winnipeg local judges for some horrendous decisions. 20 minutes into the beatdown after the bell radio podcast..... I've never heard them ever criticize judges this much.... the words wretched , abysmal, incompetent and they said to make note of these judges because of how horrendous they were. Wowza this is not good. The people in the crowd around me were also surprised at the judging.

I didn't think they were super bad, but that first fight was absolutely embarassing. No offense to Bigg Jay, perhaps judges should get video monitors because from watching the big screen there was no chance that Jabouin should of got that decision.

In a whole the event was flat but that was mostly UFC's fault for lining up guys who are known to being boring. Jake Shields is the worst fighter in the UFC to date....Rashad Evans is scared to engage and will get destroyed by Glover Texiera. I hope the next time they come to the Peg that they bring some more guys willing to fight or go for finishes.
User avatar
BVD
 
Posts: 12026
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby EastSideRocks » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:45 am

3rd UFC event I have been to and easily the most boring. Wish I had the $200 back in my pocket.

The judging was terrible and the Stout and Pierson decisions shocked me!

Anyway... Not as good as UFC 83 in Montreal but what is done is done.
User avatar
EastSideRocks
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:29 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby EastSideRocks » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:47 am

BVD wrote:Fights were pretty darn bad aside from Roy Nelson, the atmosphere was great, only 2 fights in the crowds that I could see.

Lots of hometown decisions to a point that Sherdog radio is now bad mouthing the Winnipeg local judges for some horrendous decisions. 20 minutes into the beatdown after the bell radio podcast..... I've never heard them ever criticize judges this much.... the words wretched , abysmal, incompetent and they said to make note of these judges because of how horrendous they were. Wowza this is not good. The people in the crowd around me were also surprised at the judging.

I didn't think they were super bad, but that first fight was absolutely embarassing. No offense to Bigg Jay, perhaps judges should get video monitors because from watching the big screen there was no chance that Jabouin should of got that decision.

In a whole the event was flat but that was mostly UFC's fault for lining up guys who are known to being boring. Jake Shields is the worst fighter in the UFC to date....Rashad Evans is scared to engage and will get destroyed by Glover Texiera. I hope the next time they come to the Peg that they bring some more guys willing to fight or go for finishes.


They should have never had two wrestlers such as Rashad and Henderson as a main event (3 rounds might I add). Those two guys are never going to be that exciting and nobody wants to see them fight anymore.
User avatar
EastSideRocks
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:29 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby BVD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:46 am

The problem with Henderson is that he's one trick pony and Evans is so gun shy that it was inevitable for that outcome.

Thankfully Miocic and Nelson was entertaining as all hell.....
User avatar
BVD
 
Posts: 12026
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby bigg jay » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:46 am

BVD wrote:Fights were pretty darn bad aside from Roy Nelson, the atmosphere was great, only 2 fights in the crowds that I could see.

Lots of hometown decisions to a point that Sherdog radio is now bad mouthing the Winnipeg local judges for some horrendous decisions. 20 minutes into the beatdown after the bell radio podcast..... I've never heard them ever criticize judges this much.... the words wretched , abysmal, incompetent and they said to make note of these judges because of how horrendous they were. Wowza this is not good. The people in the crowd around me were also surprised at the judging.

I didn't think they were super bad, but that first fight was absolutely embarassing. No offense to Bigg Jay, perhaps judges should get video monitors because from watching the big screen there was no chance that Jabouin should of got that decision.

In a whole the event was flat but that was mostly UFC's fault for lining up guys who are known to being boring. Jake Shields is the worst fighter in the UFC to date....Rashad Evans is scared to engage and will get destroyed by Glover Texiera. I hope the next time they come to the Peg that they bring some more guys willing to fight or go for finishes.


I'm not going to get into it too much on here but I'll just say a couple things about the judging...

The UFC actually does provide monitors for the judges. They have small flat screens about the size of a Blackberry Playbook there but basically they are to be used when your view is obstructed (ie the ref is in the way or you're trying to look around a padded cage post). With judging, you have to score it based on what you see & depending on what angle you have, you might not see every punch/kick land or see how deep a submission attempt is. A bad angle is not the same as an obstructed view so you wouldn't be using the monitor as much as people think. If the judges were just going to watch from a monitor, there's no point in having them at ring side... that could be done from a back room somewhere. The Jabouin/Pague fight was definitely one where my view affected the scoring.

As far as local judges vs "imports", the UFC (who is very vocal & critical about judging) only had one issue with the scoring last night & that was with the Shields/Woodley fight which was done by 3 judges brought in from the US.
User avatar
bigg jay
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:05 am

Postby MrBigAllegedly » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Great event since I didn't pay a lot for my ticket. I feel for those who ponied up and then injuries caused the cancellations. Those should be given first crack at the next UFC :-)
MrBigAllegedly
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Previous

Return to General Discussion

cron
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 428 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests