Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Local Winnipeg Restaurant Reviews

All non-CFL football related discussion

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby BVD » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:51 pm

5 guys burger and fries - 1576 Regent Ave W

An American burger and fries chain that literally only has burger and fries for sale.

Food quality - I was surprised that they only have burger, fries, hot dogs and veggie sandwich on their menu. I was expecting a variety of burgers and other greasy spoon type items on the menu (no chili wtf?) . With such a limited menu I would expect that the burgers are masterful and perfect. Apparently I was wrong. The burgers are absolute shite, they tasted as bad as the burgers you get at Bomber stadium. Processed cheese, zero chili in the burger, the patties are flavorless with no seasoning. Honestly it tasted exactly like what you get at the Stadium. For 9 dollars I expect something gourmet like what you get at Montanas. I would rank every other greasy spoon way higher then the crap burgers they serve here. McDonalds is light years better.

The fries were soggy but they definitely were tasty with the cajun seasoning and the quantity you get it's very reasonable for the price.

Service: I was quite amazed that they had 13 employees working in the kitchen on the counter... unfortunately 11 of them were joking and laughing and talking with each other. Tables were all dirty, floor was dirty. My burger and fries came up pretty fast and the kids were friendly to the customers. I'm still trying to understand why they have so much staff working when all they need to do is drop fries and make burgers?

Value: Burgers 1/10 for the value, I can't believe they charge 8 dollars for a plain old hamburger and just under 10 if you want cheese and bacon. I would guess it's equivalent to a 1/4 pounder from mcds but I see nothing special at all. They do offer a few toppings other places don't (mushrooms, green peppers) but I see zero value for your buck. I think they should maybe only have half the amount of staff working and cut the prices down to 4 dollars because that is all that it is worth. The prices on the burgers here are highway robbery because they use fake cheese and have nothing gourmet about them. At GBF or Georges you pay half the price and get twice the burger.

The fries at 4 dollars is reasonable because they give a huge portion and they do taste nice.

Overall: Highly highly over rated restaurant, I think this place will fizzle out and maybe even close after a year because the prices are way out of line. For me and the wife, 2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 drinks was roughly 35 dollars!!!! Meanwhile I can get twice the amount of food that taste better and a much larger variety of items on the menu at Zaxx and only pay 20 dollars....This is a cheap town and once the honeymoon period is over I think this location which is out of the way will tank.

I say stop and share a small fries with a friend and nothing more. This place is definitely not worth going for.
BVD

Postby Super Duper Negatron » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Not a restaurant exactly, but we had an event catered by Tailgators BBQ over the weekend and the food was fantastic. The smoked chicken was some of the best I have ever had, the pulled pork was tender and flavourful with or without sauce, and the beans were awesome.

Highly recommended.
I don't know who told you pouting was an option for you, but all you're making me feel right now is hatred of Renee Zellweger.
Super Duper Negatron

Postby bigg jay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:48 am

Famous Dave's BBQ is now open (Reenders & Lagimodiere)! I haven't been yet since it just opened yesterday & there was a fairly big crowd but once I get over there, I'll put in a review.
bigg jay

Postby bigg jay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 am

RE: Five Guys.

I can't say I disagree with BVD. I went on opening day & haven't been back. I was pretty disappointed given the reviews I had heard going in.

There were no less than 16 employees behind the counter but it didn't speed thing up at all. It took 20 minutes for 2 burgers & one order of fries so I had time to count how many people they had back there!

The burgers themselves weren't bad but for the price/time it definately wasn't worth it. Next time, I'll go the extra half-block & eat at Burger Factory.
bigg jay

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:35 pm

I was meaning to try the five guys restaurant in grande prairie alberta last week when i was there but being hung over didnt follow thru, will have to next time im out there next week. I have however tried a donair here in Grande Cache and it was sooooo fn amazing. it dawned on me i heard obby khan on power 97 back in feb talking about his post cfl career in that he opened up 1 or 2 donair specialty restaurants, has anyone tried it? if its anything like what ive had here oooommmmggg i know where im going when i visit winnipeg next time. seriously ive had a donair everyday since places like subway and the local restaraunts aint got nothing on em!!
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby Chaosmonkey » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Taynted_Fayth wrote:I was meaning to try the five guys restaurant in grande prairie alberta last week when i was there but being hung over didnt follow thru, will have to next time im out there next week. I have however tried a donair here in Grande Cache and it was sooooo fn amazing. it dawned on me i heard obby khan on power 97 back in feb talking about his post cfl career in that he opened up 1 or 2 donair specialty restaurants, has anyone tried it? if its anything like what ive had here oooommmmggg i know where im going when i visit winnipeg next time. seriously ive had a donair everyday since places like subway and the local restaraunts aint got nothing on em!!

Obby is opening up a Shawarma place, not ready yet though. There are two places in Winnipeg to get Shawama now, one on ellice at maryland, (Shawarma time) and one up main, forget the name.
We are the angry mob, we read the papers every day. We like what we like, we hate what we hate, but we're also easily swayed.
Chaosmonkey

Postby bigg jay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:29 pm

A donair is very similar to shwarma but I believe the sauce is different.
bigg jay

Postby viperj » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:56 pm

looking forward to reading a famous daves review soon!!
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby BVD » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Famous Dave's - Unit 70-11 Reenders Drive

A BBQ Smokehouse famous for its award winning ribs.

Food quality - I tried out a wide variety of dishes as everyone at our table of 8 each ordered something different. The St Louis Ribs were very meaty and flavourful and was cooked perfectly. They are very good, definitely better then what I've had at Loveys , Montanas and other places like Applebees. The rib tips were charred very nice, the baby back ribs were a bit to burned for my liking and I would definitely steer people away from them. Stick with the St Louis Ribs. The brisket was moist and delicious and the pulled pork was very good but this I found it to not be as good as what you get at Loveys.

The sides are good they have a fun jalapeno mac and cheese, beans, mashed potatoes,cornbread and a few other goodies. They give you 6 different kinds of bbq sauce at your table, they are all very good and either sweet or tangy, the hot sauce I found to be incredibly mild though.

Overall the food does taste very good and I probably would recommend folks going here for ribs and brisket and would recommend people to go to Loveys for pulled pork and fries.

Service:
They have a lot of servers, most of them are very young and I found the service to be a bit lacking and slow. Also found it weird that they had about 4 waiters and 1 manager who seemed to be very emo which seemed out of place for a bbq restaurant. Overall though it wasn't bad and we did not have to wait for our table. One thing I think that would of benefitted would be for them to have larger tables, the tables seemed a bit to small and cramped compared to Montanas. We had to keep stacking dishes and nagging our server to pick them up to give us room.

Value: The prices I found to be very fair, they are on par with most other chain restaurants and I didn't find them to be out of line. Expect to pay 20 - 30 dollars per head if you decide to get ribs.... 15 dollars if you go for a sandwich. The cut of meat was good and very tender and lean. The ribs as I said before taste and looked like a high quality cut.... it's definitely light years better then the puny crappy stuff you get at Applebees. The table next to us ordered the "beast feast" where it can easily feed 6 - 8 people for about 70 dollars. Very fair prices here.

Overall I enjoyed the food quite a bit, the ribs are definitely worth the drive and the sides are unique and have a lot of taste to them. My only gripe would be the smaller table and the bad viewing angles for the tvs (the lights glared on the screen making it hard to watch the game). Overall I think this place is a solid 9/10 and you should make the trip and check them out.
BVD

Postby bigg jay » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:00 am

Yep, it can vary from place to place but for the most part the Donair/Shawarma/Gyro are all very similar. The sauces & fillers (ie veggies) will be the biggest differences.

Donair: Image

Shawarma: Image

Gyro: Image
bigg jay

Postby Fraser » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:20 pm

frankly I don't understand how anyone could get confused.
Dear ******,

I didn't know that you were a ****** but then I phoned you and you were. - Larry David.
Fraser

Postby Super Duper Negatron » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Just went to Taco Del Mar on Kenaston, and holy hell was it awful. Soggy and generally flavourless.

Seriously, just terrible.
I don't know who told you pouting was an option for you, but all you're making me feel right now is hatred of Renee Zellweger.
Super Duper Negatron

Postby SPuDS » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:46 pm

dont get the five guys hate. 2 burgers (singles or doubles) and 1 small fry feed 2 people easily.. and clocks in under 20.00

drinks, sure.. add 5 bucks. regardless, they are fresh made, super tasty and you make em to your specifications a la subway.. plus, peanut oil french fries and malt vinegar are easily some of the best fries around..

its pricey but you get what you pay for..
-Television. Television is the explanation for this - you see this in bad television...

-Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch..

(boondock saints)
SPuDS

Postby BVD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:51 pm

I just thought that the burgers tasted like crap at 5 guys and very pricey. Sometimes quantity doesn't always beat out quality.

Does anyone know when Wild Wings is opening up near the Famous Dave's?
BVD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts