Jan 13 - Royal Fork Buffet - 1615 Regent Avenue West
Jan 14 - Mongo's Grill - 1570 Regent Avenue West
Feb 18 - Phuong Nam - 883 William Ave
Feb 18 - Dairy Delight - 467 St Anne's Road
May 2 - Samosa Crown - 1030 Keewatin Street
June 8 - Smoke's Poutinerie - 131 Albert Street
June 29 - JC's Tacos - 187 Henderson Hwy
Sept 8 - Luxalune Gastropub - 734 Osborne St. S

After getting inspiration from Viper's great movie thread, I thought that I would post my thoughts on local Winnipeg restaurants since I tend to go out to eat quite frequently and I do like trying out the local non chain restaurants.

I will post mini reviews and give a brief description of the food quality, service, and overall experience of these places. I do encourage others to post there reviews of those small joints.
Last edited by BVD on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:26 am, edited 14 times in total.
BVD

Postby BVD » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Mercadito Latino - 219 Henderson Hwy

Google maps - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=219% ... a=N&tab=wl

Free press review at -
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/entert ... 52807.html

This lovely South American restaurant is located in the back of a grocery store on Henderson Hwy. It's a very cozy (i.e. small) area in the back of the store but boy is the food great.

Food Quality - This is definitely delicious home made fresh food. It's better then what you get at Folklorama. The menu selection is decent and if you do like your food spicy they do have some delicious salsas and hot sauces that enhance the flavour even more. The taste of the dishes we had was a big thumbs up. We tried out the Pupusas and Empanadas for our visit and the portions are generous in size and taste very fresh.

Service - We were greeted very warmly by the two folks pictured in the Free Press review and they were courteous , helpful in selecting what we wanted and were very fast and attentive.

Value - Expect to pay less then $10 dollars per person , the prices are very fair and for the amount of food that you do get it's a great deal.

Overall - I definitely recommend going to this place if you are with a smaller group of people, you will not be disappointed!
BVD

Postby BVD » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Lovey's BBQ - 208 Marion Street

Website - http://www.loveysbbq.ca/

This is one of the few only BBQ smoke houses that Winnipeg has and after going here (via recommendation from BiggJay) we've gone back at least 10 times in the last year and a half. This place reminded me of one of those places you see on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Most of the people come in for the Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket and Chicken Wings.

Food Quality - We've found that this place varies from being average to really good with each visit. The pulled pork is always money and when smothered in there own BBQ sauce it's definitely my favorite dish to get from them. The ribs are a mixed bag that sometimes taste wonderful and at other times they taste as bad as a McRib from McDonalds. I would not say this is "the best place for ribs in town". The Brisket is a bit bland but when smothered in the BBQ sauce it does have a nice crust on it and is delicious. The fries here are fantastic and greasy and definitely are always great to eat. The cole slaw taste different each time, and it varies from decent to really poor. Overall I say the food taste is a slight step up from what you get at Montana's.

Service - At this place you place the order up front and pick up your food from the counter. Overall the speed of the service is definitely good and I've never had to wait more then 10 minutes for my food. Most of the staff are students and younger folk.

Value - The prices are fair for what you do get. If you do choose to get one of the larger dinner meals (which include corn bread, cole slaw, fries and beans) then expect to pay around 20 - 25$ per person. My lady and I usually share a fries and get the smaller meals and usually pay about $35 dollars together. The prices are about right.

Overall - Considering the lack of competition in the BBQ style of cooking this place is worth a visit. Definitely there is room for improvement and compared to other "competitive BBQ cook off restaurants" that I've had in my travels they definitely are not world beaters. I would say this place is good but not great.
Last edited by BVD on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BVD

Postby Blue17to85 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Great idea on creating this thread!

Casa Grande-984 Sargent Ave

http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4ACAW_ ... CBkQnwIwAA

This is a cozy (small) Italian restaurant. It has two dining levels with their own atmosphere. Whenever we eat on the main floor dining area I’m expecting Robert De Niro or Al Pacino to come bursting in opening firing. It such a little mobster restaurant atmosphere down there complete with dim candle lighting, red and white chequered table clothes and Dean Martin playing quietly in the background. The upstairs is less mobster and more of a family type atmosphere, though it also has a small bar up there.

The Food:
Everything we have had there has been delicious. They have home-made pizza’s and sauces. The garlic bread, salads and antipasto are good as well. The portions are quite large and unless you want leftovers or are a big eater, sharing a dish is an option. Penne primavera being one of our favourites.
Service:
Though not overly friendly, the staff is very efficient and the food is prepared in a reasonable amount of time. Expect to be satisfied with the service.
Value:
Expect to pay around $20.00 per person. Not too bad for the unique atmosphere and delicious food.
Overall:
I recommend this for any Italian food lovers, or people who just want to see what the gangsters feel like going out for a meal.
Blue17to85

Postby BVD » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Dairi - Wip Drive In - 383 Marion Street

Google Maps - http://www.google.ca/maps?q=dairi+wip+w ... 16&iwloc=A

My family has been going to this place for the last 15 years and it is ALWAYS busy at all hours of the day with people coming in and out. It is your prototypical burger , hot dogs, fries joint ... however this one seems to be the most popular one in that area of town. This is a drive in so there is not seating inside.

Food Quality - When it comes to the hot dogs , burgers and shakes this place is absolutely delicious every time. I dare say it has the best burgers in town, the chili they use is fantastic and everything else they use within the burger tastes great. The fries are skinny fries which are enjoyable but are bit over cooked imo. In the 100 times I've gone to this place I've never found one reason to complain about the food. It's always great!

Service - The staff is fast and somehow the cooks can memorize a huge amount of orders at one time. Grumpy guy with the glasses is always fun to deal with since he always looks so serious, this place definitely is all about business and not about lounging around and chit chatting. So expect to bark out your orders and then wait patiently until it's complete.

Value - Prices are a bit on the steep side, while not outrageous you should expect to spend over $10 dollars per person. While it may not be as cheap as McDonalds it definitely tastes a million times better and the prices are justified based on the taste of the food.

Overall - Love this place, I try to go as much as possible and usually two burgers and a shake can fill me up and send me to happy land for the rest of the afternoon. If you have not gone then go right away! 100% recommended!
Last edited by BVD on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BVD

Postby BVD » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Buffet Square - 2188 McPhillips Street

Google Maps - http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?cid=17 ... n=0,0&z=11

I've had the lucky (or unlucky) chance to visit this place every few months over the course of the last two years. It's pretty much The Royal Forks with Asian cuisine and without all the insanely obese people. They have a large selection of different dishes and even an area for sushi and an ice cream bar for dessert.

Food Quality - You get what you pay for pretty much. The food here isn't horrible, but on the same note it's definitely not ranked in the upper echelon of the many different Asian restaurants in Winnipeg. It's serviceable and passable food and I would say it's a small step above the poor food that you get from the food courts in the mall. I have yet to find any baby mice like they had at the Sizzling Wok in St Vitall :lol:

Service - As with most buffets you serve yourselves. The staff is always prompt in cleaning up the tables and serving beverages. The restaurant is massive in size with easily enough space to fit 300 people in it.

Value - I don't remember the exact price but it's roughly about 10-12 dollars per person which is an excellent value considering how much variety and how much quantity of food that you can get. Also due to the large size it's a good place to gather a large group of people together without having to wait at all to get your food.

Overall - This place is exactly what you look for when you choose Quantity over Quality. The food is not exactly going to set you on fire, but it's afforadibility , variety and size makes it ideal if you have cheap friends who want to get chinese.
BVD

Postby viperj » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Love this idea!!!
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby The Brain » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:23 am

I'm not going to write a complete review, but I would like to add that Cafe 22 on Corydon (and recently expanded Provencher @ Tache and Broadway) is the best pizza in Winnipeg, at a ridiculous price. Something like $18 for a 15" with unlimited toppings.
The Brain

Postby BVD » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:01 am

The Brain wrote:I'm not going to write a complete review, but I would like to add that Cafe 22 on Corydon (and recently expanded Provencher @ Tache and Broadway) is the best pizza in Winnipeg, at a ridiculous price. Something like $18 for a 15" with unlimited toppings.

I'll do it for you....

Café 22 / Pizza Hotline

Google Maps - http://www.google.ca/maps?q=cafe+22+cor ... 22295&z=16

Webpage - www.pizzahotline.ca

Tag line - Great pizza at a great price

Café 22 is the same as Pizza Hotline with a few more items on the menu, but it's the same food and same franchise. So 222 - 2222 pizza is what you get when attending Café 22 in any of the locations in town. It's affordable and cheap food served in a bit more fancier setting.

Food Quality - Contrary to what people say, the food quality from Pizza Hotline's pizzas is very good. They use the same ingredients and the same meat and veggies on there pizza that the other pizza chains use. The pizza is very good. The wings on the other hand are subpar, it may be because they are oven baked but they tend to be heavy on the fat and low on the actual meat. The gelato is good but not as solid as Nucci's or Eva's. Overall its better then what you would get at a Pizza Pizza but it isn't as refined as what you would get at a typical Corydon/Italian place like Collissio's.

Service - - When ordering Pizza for delivery or take out it's usually very quick and fairly accurate. The corydon location is probably one of the best of all the Pizza Hotlines across town. However the service from the servers inside the Cafe 22 part are very poor. They are slow, forgetful and unattentive which is odd considering how compact the restaurant is and how laid back and quiet it is. I've had bad service inside for the past 3-4 years that I've gone and while the staff rotates the same problems occur. Definitely the weakest point of this place is just how poor the service inside is.

Value - Great pizza at a great price! The value is fantastic for what you get when ordering pizza's or calzones. The rest of the menu is fairly priced and you can expect to pay around the $10 dollar mark for a full meal that will fill you up.

Overall - Cafe 22 / Pizza Hotline is a staple for us cheap peggers. It's delicious pizza at a really low price. The cafe has a nice atmosphere and feels very cozy, just don't expect good service from your servers and expect to have to go up to the front to ask for refills or to place any more orders on your bill.
BVD

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:55 pm

still gotta say bobbies on st marys next to glenlawn collegiate is one of my all time favs. though their "special" is $35/plate it's weel worth it, and theres so much.

havent been dining out to much recently having only been back in the city a litte while, so i been sticking to same ols like moxies, montanas..ect

has anyone tried Hy's steak house at protage and main? if so how was it?
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby BVD » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Homer's Restaurant - 520 Ellice

Webpage - http://www.homersrestaurant.ca/

Google Maps - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe=i ... 16&iwloc=A

A popular Greek restaurant with elegant decor and wide variety of greek dishes. Located in a fairly rough area down Ellice this is a restaurant that I've frequented a few times on business lunches and on dinner with the lady.

Food Quality - I'm a very large fan of greek cuisine and I can never get enough of a delicious souvlaki. I've been to Homer's about 5 times and it's ranged from tasting sub-standard to good. I've never been wowed by the food at this place. In all honesty I do think the Greek places both at St Vital and Polo Park food courts have equal if not better tasting souvlaki then what I've had at Homers. The Homer's Chicken meal that they serve at lunch has continually been disappointing and after the last function we've had there from work, everyone who had that dish complained about it. The soups are very tasty here and a few of the dinners are above average and worth trying out.

Service - A bit on the slow side, the angry lady (I assume the owner) likes to lurk around and make fake talk with the customers. Overall though I've had no problems and the food has arrived accurately consistently.

Value - At lunch expect to pay $15 and for dinner approximately $30 per meal. The prices are reasonable for the most part and nothing in my opinion seems out of line. The quantity of food which is served with your meal is on average with other normal restaurants... but usually when you go to a Greek place they stuff the plates to the max.

Overall - I would probably not recommend anyone to go out of the way to eat at this place. If you want a simple souvlaki or gyro then I recommend going to the food court at one of the malls. This is one place where the interior of the restaurant and it's beautiful design does not match with the very mediocre food that they serve.
BVD

Postby viperj » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:05 am

My wife and I whenever we can get away from the our kid, we like to go to Montichho's(sp.) It's a small place on osbourne, just before jubilee. Anyway, it's an italian joint, and it's actually really good. It's really hit 90% of the time, but when it's a miss, its just a few small things, nothing major. The Garlic bread knots are to die for, it's very good! If i was to rate it out of 5, i'd say a 4.5 or so.
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby DBrules » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:58 am

Massawa's Ethiopian food is really, really good and i like eating with my hands but the wait is the longest I have ever had to endure. I should have believed what I heard about how long you have to wait.

Baraka Pita Bakery on Main is excellent Lebanese food and very affordable.

The MAgic Wok on mcphillips is an all you can eat sushi restaurant for under 15.00! Sushi there is very good.

A taste of Laos is very good and not very expensive.

Papa Carlo's in Lockport is an undiscovered gem that has very good food and one of the best pizzas i have ever tasted. They also sell the Italian beer Moretti.
DBrules

Postby The Brain » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:50 pm

DBrules wrote:The MAgic Wok on mcphillips is an all you can eat sushi restaurant for under 15.00! Sushi there is very good.

I am curious about this.... I have never heard the words "all you can eat" and "good sushi" together in the same sentence.

For good (cheaper) sushi, I recommend Momo on south Pembina.
The Brain

Postby BVD » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 pm

Empress of China - 1050 Henderson Hwy

Google Maps - http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 6&iwloc=r2

A popular chinese restaurant located in the strip mall on Henderson which offers both dine in and take out.

Food Quality - I've had Empress many times over the last 10 years and the food has been consistent each time that we've had take out. As they advertise the dishes are MSG free and to me they all do taste fresh and original. Certain Asian restaurants tend to taste like the food is frozen and the sauces are out of a can, this always taste fresh to me and the food is light and has flavour. I will say that the food is good, but so far none of the dishes have blown me away. We order from Empress when we want a safe choice and don't want to risk trying a new place which will either blow it away or else fail horribly.

Service - If you are fortunate you will talk with the husband who is absolutely friendly and always fun to talk with. However the wife is definitely the general of the place and she can scare some people off when she is grumpy. Overall the service is good, on busier days though they always over estimate how quick the food will be ready. So when it's new years or mothers day... when they say 45 minutes it's really 75 minutes.

Value - The prices are fair and right on par with what you get at most Chinese places. Usually we pay $50 for 3 people and have left overs for the next day.

Overall - The ginger beef, diced chicken with almonds and several other dishes are always good bets and the rest of the menu is above average. This is a good place to order when you want a safe bet (see my future reviews on other chinese places) and when you don't want your company to be disappointed because of crap food. It's good but not great.
BVD

Next

Return to General Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts