Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Movie Review of the day! Updated May June 14 | 2014

All non-CFL football related discussion

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby BVD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:18 pm

Just watched Olympus Has fallen, could not stop laughing at how incredibly dumb this movie is. It's like Die Hard in the Whitehouse. I just could not stop laughing at how dumb and stupid they make the American Gov't act in this movie. It's so laughable far fetched that the whole movie you will be talking to the tv saying "COME ON REALLY"..... I wont say the scenes because it would be major spoilers, but the helicopter blowing up near the end was just sooooo stupid and obvious that it's hilarious that a room of 100 of the government leaders couldn't figure our the ruse yet Gerard Butler and anyone watching the ovie could see it a mile away. I also laugh at the scene where they send 8 attack helicopters to land on the roof of the white house when they know that inside the whitehouse there was less then 20 terrorists left. The attack helicopters get shot down from a turret that magically is insalled in the whitehouse in a matter of 3 hours. They have thousands of special forces on the ground and none of them could of simply used a grappling hook or even walk through the front door to shoot these 20 guys?? They even have a tonne of snipers who have the enemies in their scope yet they don't shoot them..... just so stupid and far fetched. It's entertaining for all the fight scenes and shooting, but you really have to turn the brain off to make it through this one. 4 on 10.
BVD

Postby viperj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 am

Starring: Harrison Ford, Chadwick Boseman

The Lowdown:
42 is basically a great baseball movie, but one that is just a little bit on the safe side. Sure, there are strong language problems especially after hearing the "N" word about fifty times in 5 minutes, but besides that, it's just too much on the safe side. Harrison Ford basically saved this movie with just his mere prescence alone. The story was average as I feel more could've been included, maybe bring up what Jackie went through as a little boy; it just started when he was playing baseball for Montreal. I didn't really feel there was a big major climax in most movies, I felt that the story just went through the motions.

In the End:
In the End, 42 is a good baseball movie, but it didn't satisfy me enough to want to watch it again. It wasn't like Field of Dreams or For Love of the Game, or even the baseball clasics like Mr Baseball and Major League. I like the idea behind making this movie and I'm glad the movie was made. The demographic would be an older male crowd, I don't think a 16 year old will call their friend and ask them to watch this baseball movie. All in all, a solid effort none the less.

Plot: 6.5
Cast: 7.5
Dialogue: 7.5
Scenes: 7
Entertainment: 7.5

Overall: 7.2
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby BVD » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:23 am

Just saw Evil Dead remake and from a huge fan of the original trilogy it kind of fell flat for me.

Way to many ridiculous plot holes , the actors are all very unbelievable and the scares rely mostly on a few seconds of quiet followed by a really loud noise. A few of the scenes had some gritty creepy parts that were good, but for the most part it was just quiet followed by loud scream.

The movie *could* of been a lot better, I would of rather the teens be intelligent enough to realize that the girl is a zombie and not tripping on drugs after she levitates, pukes 1000 litres of blood, has black eyes, burns her face off, shoots her friend, attacks her friend who then rips her own face off etc..... all while the nerdy guys keeps the evil book a secret despite seeing 5 events right out of the book happen in front of his own eyes.....

I'd give the remake a 6/10 and hope that if they make a sequel that a new director and a new writer would pen it because this one was pretty flat.
BVD

Postby viperj » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm not into the horror movies whatsoever, but I really thought about giving evil dead a chance.
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 am

A whole slew of early summer movies has been available, super pumped to see Pain and Gain along with the great gatsby.
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Anyone see Oblivion yet? What ya think? I'm in the midst of watching this.
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:19 am

Oblivion

Starring Tom Cruise and Olga Kurylenko - this movie screams out to the sci fi nerds! I didn't know what to expect at all, as I don't watch much sci fi, but in the end I enjoyed this film. It wasn't a break out or outstanding performance by Cruise, but he was serviceable and believable. His partner in crime Kurylenko was smoking. I've seen her in a few movies, and I've been impressed, she has a natural look to her, and shes a pretty good actress. The plot was fairly fast pacing, it got to a point though that I had no idea what was going on, and even after the movie was over, and I had to check out all the spoilers just in case I missed something. All in all, this was a good movie, with great special effects, a fairly complicated story, and acting that just made it over the average scale. I liked the inclusion of Morgan Freeman, but I don't think he really needed to be in this film, to get through this one.

Plot: 7.5
Cast: 8
Dialogue: 7
Scenes: 8.5
Entertainment: 8

Overall: 7.8
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby BVD » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:33 pm

I just saw We're the Millers, thought it was really funny and enjoyable flick to watch with the wife.
BVD

Postby viperj » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:05 am

Pain and Gain

Starring Mark Whalberg and Duane Johnson, I thought Pain and Gain was just above the mediocre line. It was a Michael Bay movie, so the cinematography was a little different and a little out there, it helped make the movie original, but I just thought it was border line idiotic. The story is a mess only because the true story is a mess, the acting was flat out insane...only because the true story, these characters were out of control. Personally, I would've loved an all out "serious movie, or a "comedy film," I felt like the script was trying to do too many things; too many elements of substance without substance if that makes sense. All in all Pain and Gain is fairly original, with a messed up story, cast and a dialogue that might confuse you if you are supposed to laugh or shudder of utter fear.

Plot: 6
Cast: 6
Dialogue: 6
Scenes: 6.5
Entertainment: 6

Overall: 6.1

Now You See Me

For me personally, one of my favorite movies of the year. Now you See Me is a fresh take on magic that had me hooked from the very beginning. Starring Michael Cain, Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, the brother of James Franco and Morgan Freeman. Honestly, I really enjoyed this film, and I won't go into fan boy mode....It's just a cup of fresh air, its a movie that has a lot of special effects, but you never know what's going to happen, you never know who's up to no good, or if the movie is a scam, but there's always something missing, and I love it. You don't get to dive deep into the characterization of the characters due to the amount of strong characters that make this movie, but at the end of it, you should be excited that they'll be making a second installment in a few years. Again, I loved this movie, it was easily in there for my favorite of the year. Hope you see this and agree with me.

Plot: 10
Cast: 9
Dialogue: 9.5
Scenes: 10
Entertainment: 10

Overall: 9.7

We're the Millers

We're the Millers is another movie that I loved, but I probably shouldn't enjoy but I did. "Millers" is a funny movie, a little on the obscene and crazy side, but altogether it's just a mess of laughter; Starring Jennifer Anniston and Jason Sudekis, these two completely and solely made this movie with their chemistry alone. The plot is flimsy I'll admit it, but from point a to point b, that is where the comedy shine; and I'll disregard the really sad and pathetic ending to the film, but I'll leave that for another day. Bonuses: Jennifer Anniston in a bikini and Ed Helms in a little side role. All in all, this movie has a terrible plot, but balance that with great character work and some funny writing, We're The Millers is not all that bad.

Plot: 6
Cast: 7
Dialogue: 8
Scenes: 8

Overall: 7.3
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:54 am

Jobs

The Lowdown:
"Jobs" got terrible reviews and I understand this, but don't understand this. I never knew the story of Steve Jobs, so what I saw in this movie had been atleast 40% accurate at least! I don't care what was real or what wasn't real, I'm not a history professor! In terms of acting, Ashton Kutcher got the part down really well, he was believable and most of all he looked like Steve Jobs. I loved his acting, because he looked like he really was Jobs and he had all the mannerisms down. During the bad times of this film, you hope that he gets up from his char and reams out anyone with a differing opinion. The pace of the movie was pretty slow, but because the film being very heavy on Kutcher, it didn't bother me that the film was fairly long. I was entertained as well, as both the "action" scenes where Jobs is yelling at everyone was highly exciting and engaging. All in all, this movie is not as deep as I would've liked, but in the end, while not an innovation- it sure was nice to get inside Steve Jobs world for a little bit.

Pros: Kutcher was great, mannerisms were evident, felt like he enjoyed making this film.

Cons: Longer movie, action focused too much on Kutcher without giving more screen time to the supporting cast including Josh Gad, and J.K Simmons.

Plot: 7
Cast: 7.5
Scenes: 7.5

Overall: 7.5
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:40 pm

Hope to have some reviews up soon, ive been really busy! I wish i could watch more movies but with two kids and working nights, it gets pretty tough to find 2 hours to watch something.

I do hope Gravity does well, it looks like such a neat idea.
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby BVD » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Im so far behind i finally had a chance to watch Iron Man 3 lol... it was good!
BVD

Postby viperj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:12 am

What to Expect When You're Expecting

The lowdown:
Basically, the film is an ensemble cast movie just like the Valentines day one, and the New Years one. I am doing this review very quickly, so here's my thoughts basically. In a nutshell, this is easily the best ensemble movie thats been done in the past few years. There's a lot of great character work, and because there's not as many main characters as other films, I felt that each actor actually had a story and that helped its cause. It was a funny and happy movie all wrapped into one, and I can say I really enjoyed it; it's not for everyone, but I don't mind a little romance from time to time. Starring Jennifer Lopez, Anna Kendrick, Cameron Diaz and Chris Rock, there's a lot in here for everyone, hell, i almost wanted another baby, and that's scary.

Plot: 8
Dialogue: 7.5
Entertainment: 8.5

Overall: 7.9
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:17 pm

The Internship

I really liked The Internship because it wasn't a movie that required any thinking whatsoever. I liked it because I was able to watch Vaughn and Wilson do their thing, and sometimes, their long monologues and snappy one liners are something that I look forward to. The movie, while not deep in any way, was just what the doctor ordered. All in all, the movie did come across a little bit as a walking Google advertisement, it didn't bother me, I think I would've loved to have seen them work for a made up company name, but I'm happy with. I thought the supporting cast was more on the sidelines then really playing on the field; I think a little more time developing these characters and it would've enhanced more. I thought the writing was good, you could tell Vaughn had a large part in this; it had his name all over this. All in all, this was a funny movie and a movie not disapointing whatsoever, there was a lot of funny scenes, and the chemistry between Vaughn and Wilson never once hindered. It was a good time despite the movie's flaws.

Cast: 8.5
Entertainment: 8.5

Overall: 7.7
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 pm

White House Down

+Decent movie, lots of good action and some humour.
+Tatum solid, I thought Jamie Foxx playing the President was a little weird; that didn't work for me.
+Better than Olympus has Fallen, less gory for sure which was nice.
+Plot flowed, just when you thought the movie was over, a few more twists and turns.
+Good acting, I was moved by the father and daughter relationship.

Overall: 7.6
The Movie Man
viperj

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts