Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Movie Review of the day! Updated May June 14 | 2014

All non-CFL football related discussion

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby bigg jay » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:30 am

I watched Hantsel & Gretel: Witch Hunters last night and it's an hour and a half I wish I had back. It's not even worth doing a real review on so I'll just say that if you enjoyed Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman a few years ago, you 'll like this as it's basically the same movie with slightly better visual effects.
bigg jay

Postby BVD » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:12 am

Watched Broken City last night, it was a decent movie that had a good idea and good plot but I thought the movie had some wasteful filler throughout it. They should of cut out his wife and that whole side story it was unnecessary and they didn't even say what happened in the end. They should of simply had him and his assistant together. I also found the middle section of the movie a bit confusing and I really didn't understand what the big deal with Crowe selling out the slums. Katz does it all of time with his buddies so what's the big deal :P
BVD

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Watched warm bodies, interesting. Kind of reminded me of zombieland (cuz the sarcasticly humored portrayal of life post zombie apocalypse) and Romeo and Juliet . Overall I'd say it was a decent watch, but I felt 3/4 of the way I was losing some interest. Dunno what more can be said so I'll go 6/10
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby viperj » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:00 am

Snitch

For the sake of sanity or even keeping an open mind, Snitch for most parts was a pretty good movie despite not a whole heck of a lot really going on. Character wise, Dwayne Johnson is believable and spot on. He is the star of this film, and it's obvious as soon as he finds out his son goes to jail. However, the story is fairly flmsy in the sense that because it's supposed to be "based on a true story" I think there could've been more action I think another fairly large name to balance out "The Rock." I like some of the side plots involving his partner helping him out, including all the family stuff that was going on with his partner and his kid. I saw him in a few things before where he was on the comedic side of things, but never in a serious role, and he pulled it off. He helped make this movie what it was, because I don't think Johnson could do it all by himself. All in all, we see a vulnerable Dwayne Johnson, but we also see a script that could use some fine tuning.

Plot: 6
Cast: 7
Dialogue: 6
Scenes: 7
Entertainment: 7.5

Overall: 6.7

Parker
Parker is another movie starring Jason Statham. Overall, it wasn't very good or exciting in any shape or form. There are some good action scenes and some good fight scenes, but there was nothing enduring whatsoever. I don't know who's idea it was to cast Jennifer Lopez and throw in some really dumb 3 way love romance needs to have their head adjusted. It was just weak as it comes in terms of an action movie. There was a cool scene though when a knife goes through Statham's hand; it's a little gross, but it got extra points. I guess it's a bad sign if I have to pick that as something that saved this film. All in all, the story is not very good, and its just bland and one dimensional. There's lots of blood if that floats your boat, but that alone cannot save a movie. Do I smell another Transporter movie?

Plot: 5
Cast: 6
Dialogue: 4
Scenes: 5
Entertainment: 4

Overall: 4.8

21 & Over

Now listen up folks, don't judge me for this one, but I really enjoyed this movie. I got the feeling after watching American Reunion that this was the type of movie it should've been. 21 and Over is a fun movie, a movie with a ton of swears, but done fairly good and a story that is a little reminicent of the Hangover movies. Starring unknown Miles Teller and a singer from that accapella movie, 21 and Over really just brings home the fact that sometimes it's fun to party and to have a good time; that is what life is all about I think. When we get older and have kids and settle down, a lot of the time the "fun" happens with the kids and not so much your close buddies...this movie made me want to go out with a couple of my buddies that I haven't had the chance to party with, and go out and have a great time. I actually missed it, and it shouldn't take a movie to make it hit like home. There are a lot of shenanigans that work and don't work well, but as I look at the overall package, all in all, I just really had a good time and I'm glad I took the time to see this.

Plot: 7
Cast: 8
Dialogue: 9
Scenes: 9
Entertainment: 8.5

Overall: 8.3

The Purge

The Purge believe or not, is a really good quality and under budget movie. First of all, this is a type of movie that I don't care to watch for, but it was a movie night with my wife, so I thought let's give it a try. Starring Ethan Hawke, The Purge is so well done, that I might have to re-watch it again to see if I missed anything. The Purge screams low budget, due to the movie being mostly done in the dark, you can tell that not a lot of money went into this thing. Sometimes, this is good, sometimes it's bad, but in this case everything worked out perfectly. I like the story, I could relate to it, not that this has happened to me, but you get the feeling of this family trapped in a house, I had no idea what was going to happen next. I love the blood, and I love the guts, I just loved the taking on these bad guys in your own house. The end ended up being a little predictable, but I think due to it's success I think I could see a second movie coming, I don't know how that will turn out, or if it would be a straight to DVD, but all in all, it was a good concept of a film that had me following a flash light and I was still blown away...no pun intended.

Plot: 9
Dialogue: 7
Scenes: 9
Entertainment: 10

Overall: 8.4
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:01 am

Not sure what to watch now, I have the call, warm bodies, the hobbit and Oz that I need to watch, I dont know in what order though.
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby BlueBallz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:36 pm

viperj wrote:Not sure what to watch now, I have the call, warm bodies, the hobbit and Oz that I need to watch, I dont know in what order though.

Watch The Hobbit, well worth it. IMO rivaled The Rings trilogy, awesome cinematography, good story line, followed the book pretty well.

As for 'The Purge'...watching the preview it reminded me too much of 'The Strangers' so I was and still am pretty leery of it.
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"

Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
BlueBallz

Postby viperj » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:20 pm

I didnt think I'd like the Purge, but i was pleasantly surprised man! Give it a shot!
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby BVD » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:09 pm

I watched -

Wreck It Ralph - Enjoyed it up until the candy land parts then it kind of dragged. I think it would of been neater had they travelled through more different games. It's still better then the B level cartoons, but definitely not a classic 7/10

Hansel and Gretel - Just like Van Helsing, it was entertaining and had lots of action. It's worth watching if you have nothing else to catch up. 7/10

Snitch - The Rock steals this movie, unfortunately the movie is dull and slow moving at parts and has some unnecessary parts in it. 6/10

A good day to die hard - Loved how over the top the movie was , great action scenes and never a dull moment. It was mcuh better then the previous Die Hard and I`d have no issues if they do another movie with John and his son. 9 on 10.
BVD

Postby wpg_all_day » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Watched:
Prometheus - good movie, better than expected considering lukewarm reviews. Thinking persons scifi movie.
Iron man 3 - good not great. Ending is over the top and excessive.
Dark knight rises - tour de force. Just like the other 2 movies of this trilogy, first rate in every department. For my money, the best comic book/superhero movie franchise ever made.
wpg_all_day

Postby DeeBoy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:42 am

FWIW -
Superman - Man of Steel. I really liked the premise of this movie and the use of R. Crowe in the story. However, when the action started, the explosions began and went on and on and on. At one point, I thought they were going for a record.
This took away from the main battle with the villain and diminished the movie in my eyes.

The Heat - S. Bullock, M. McCarthy. A raunchous funny, funny movie. Well scripted and good interaction. Completely unbelievable but highly worthwhile, Really, a must see!
The truth is that you always know the right thing to do.....The hard part is doing it.
DeeBoy

Postby viperj » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 am

Admission
A Princeton admissions officer who is up for a major promotion takes a professional risk after she meets a college-bound alternative school kid who just might be the son she gave up years ago in a secret adoption. Starring Paul Rudd and Tina Fey, I can see why this movie was a total bust. It's not to say the movie is downright terrible, but its just mediocre with only a few laughs. There's a lot of sub plot stuff that goes on during the film, when we are introudced to Michael Sheen, his character goes through his own development, and it just looks and acts fairly dumb. The way that was given time to the movie and how it was done was just dumb as heck, if you haven't seen it, or still want to see it, you'll know what I mean. All in all, I just dont think Admission was very good. It was almost a little too weird and wanted to go out and do more than it was capable of. I liked a lot of this film don't get me wrong, I think I would've preferred the film had it just been a serious movie and not a drama trying really hard to be funny. If I know one thing about movies, it's that Paul Rudd is at his best when he's the funny guy, and not the one trying to save this.

Cast: 5.5
Scenes: 5
Entertainment: 5.5

Overall: 5.6

Fast 6

As I finished the 6th movie in this franchise, I couldn't help but think about how far this series has come. In most cases the more movies in a series, the less money it makes. In this case, the money keeps rolling in! Staring Vin Diesel, The Rock and Paul Walker, what you have come to expect with this franchise is still the same and hasn't changed at all. Fast 6 is the same dynamic movie you've come to expect. I think the last installment was the best in the series, but this one is close to being in the middle. Fast 6 is just a pure octane popcorn movie, there's not much more than that. The movie preaches it's not a serious movie and that once filming, there needs to be a lot of stunt man. Overall great movie with a great cast and great action scenes. If I could find 1 terrible aspect to this film; it definitely has to do with Gina Carano...****, girl cannot act for the life of her; I swear I had just seen a robot. All in all, Fast 6 is not the best "Fast" in the series, but it's up there for a good time and a great ride.

Plot: 7
Cast: 9
Dialogue: 8
Scenes: 10
Entertainment: 10

Overall: 8.8
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby viperj » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:41 am

I kinda want to see the Heat, along with Man of Steel; ive yet to see both!
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby bigg jay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:29 am

I saw Man of Steel on the weekend. It was pretty good and definitely worth seeing but it reminded me a lot of the latest Spiderman movie in the fact that keeping his identity a secret doesn't seem to be that high of a priority.

I'd give it a 7 (maybe 7.5) out of 10.
bigg jay

Postby viperj » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:16 am

This is the End

Cast: James Franco, Jay Baruchel, Seth Rogan, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride...

Easily for the most part, one of the funniest movies of the year hands down. It’s a fresh movie, there’s a lot of jokes, a lot of great and solid one liners, and it stars a cast that is top notch without blinking an eye. The plot does go a little bit downhill about ¾ the way, but overall the movie is one hilarious roller coaster ride of weirdness but yet tranquility.

In the End: Don’t let your kids watch unless they are at least over 14, it’s not a kids movie by any means. If you like CGI, I was fairly amazed at the strong quality during some of the “monster” scenes. This movie is hands down the funniest movies of the year so far, I can't think of anything that was closely compared.

Plot: 8
Cast: 10
Dialogue: 9
Scenes: 9.5
Entertainment: 9.5

Overall: 9.2

Olympus has Fallen

Starring : Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, Angela Bassett, Melissa Leo, Robert Forster, Rick Yune, Radha Mitchell, Ashley Judd,

Personally, I think the story was a little extreme and a little too violent, because the movie had a strong White House theme, I just thought it was a little too much with the blood and the unrelentless violence. Gerard Butler absolutely saved his career with this film; after way too many misfires.

In the End: Olympus has Fallen’s demographic has to be 18-39 males, any kid under 18 will be horrified, and anyone over 39 will easily have a stroke. “Fallen” is just an unwarranted film that only gives ammunition to terrorists. Call me crazy, this effort is mediocre at best, there are moments where you are on the edge of your seat don’t get me wrong, this is an effort worth taking note, and I think had some of the “killings” been a little toned down, then I would’ve enjoyed it more.

Scenes: 5.5
Entertainment: 6

G.I Joe:Retaliation

Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Jonathan Pryce, D.J. Cotrona, Adrianne Palicki, Bruce Willis, Byung-hun Lee, Channing Tatum, Ray Stevenson, Ray Park, RZA, Elodie Yung, Joseph Mazzello

Retaliation is a joke; straight up! One critic said, "If you're buying a ticket for G.I. Joe: Retaliation because Channing Tatum is showcased in preview trailers, be seated at show time because he's out of the picture after 15 minutes. If you're going as a Bruce Willis fan, take your time. He doesn't show up for 45 minutes, and if you're running late don't rush because after one scene he disappears for another half-hour. That's basically the overall feeling I have to this film; it's just missing any credibility and in the end it feels like a giant paycheck for all involved.

In the End: In the end, this movie is not good; and feels like we're being pushed along like most action movies. Call me a cynic, but you might feel the same way. Retaliation screams in the demographic of young boys and middle 20's, I think anything over that would be lucky. Retaliation didn;t do too well at the box office and I can see why. There were some cool fight scenes, but the acting and the story is just out to lunch.

Plot: 5
Cast: 6
Scenes: 6
Entertainment: 6.5

Overall: 5.9
The Movie Man
viperj

Postby BVD » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Not surprising with GI JOE, they pushed the movie back a full year, did a tonne of reshoots , so clearly they knew it wasn't going to be a great movie.
BVD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts