Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

CFL going Corporate

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 pm

I can see where recent salary escalation across the CFL is going to put the days of affordable family outings in the past.

$200,000 contracts will soon be $350,000. Sooner than later someone is going to be a million dollar man.

Teams will need revenue to pay so the beers go up. Wasn't that long ago two could go to a game for $50 and have a good time. C est la Vie i suppose.

As usual in my rants I need to find a way to paint Wade Miller as the villain and in no small way do I not consider the Bombers guilty of overpaying time and again and driving up market prices. Overpaid and extended themselves pretty quick as well so they had that one figured out.

Fiscal irresponsibility is the root cause of the need to increase revenue. Player salaries are the primary driver.

In laymans terms "if they had a clue they might be dangerous"

Its not the contracts we hear about but the signing bonus's that we don't. Stanley Bryant signing first day of free agency for $160,000, right. Maybe a little smoke and mirrors thing going on with Okpalaugo as well but we'll never hear it from them.

Even if they just paid the good players well but like the NHL everyone is getting in and many are being overpaid.

One of these days the season tickets that were $300 are over $500 and eventually it becomes an unsustainable priority in peoples lives.

Ironic that the Argos are selling $4 beers at their tailgate deal to try and attract fans.

Anyway... who knows. I could be wrong.
Bennie Thompson

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts