Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Free Agency

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby Bennie Thompson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 am

Maybe the calm before the storm but like many others I am surprised that teams around the league have not already resigned some of the players heading to free agency. No doubt changes allowing one year contracts are playing a part.

Wonder now if Euclid Cummings is thinking that it might have been better to sign for two.

Not the end of the world for Bombers to lose Bass. He might fit in BC as a replacement for Bighill and Wally seems to like guys who have last names starting with B. My preference would be for the Bombers to resign and use him in the WIL spot if for no other reason than to keep BC from getting better.

Lots of receivers available makes me wonder if the Bombers couldn't have done better than Kenny Stafford.

No hole to fill at running back for the Bombers with Andrew Harris but with all the Lafrance talk going on I wonder if Matt Walter might not be a nice alternative addition. Did not notice him in Sask last year but thought he always gave us trouble when called upon during his Calgary days.

Also seems like lots of interest in Shakir Bell. If the Riders don't land him I can see Toronto stepping up. Anthony Allen maybe to TO if they lose out on Bell.

Less than a week to go
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 am

What is not to like about this guy?

High level national at a position of need. Still young at 26. NFL hopes over for now.

Former line mate of Tristan Okpalaugo when they were Argos

No doubt on every teams list but a strong addition if Walters can sign him to be a Bomber.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:13 am

Thinking about it more it seems highly unlikely Laing will ever be a Bomber.

With Ted Laurent making over $200,000 Laing will not come cheap.

Good player but not a fit for the Bombers with their current salary structure.

Rupert Butcher, come on down
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:02 am

No money for Bass suggests no money for a Cory Greenwood or Max Venable

Knox is in. Hopefully he becomes the next version of Greg Battle and shows us he is a player.

Would think low ball offers are on the table for Hurl, Sherman, and Briggs. All good special team guys who have been with the team for a couple of years and can fill in should someone go down during a game. Hoping they get a feel for their market value next week and come back to the Bombers to sign although no big rush at this point unless they do sign with another team. Chat on the Eskimo forum implies some interest in Sherman at safety and it wasn't Hurls fault Walters handed him the big deal that never panned out as planned

Would think the versatility and knowledge of the system would be some kind of a plus for them.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Here's one no one will like.

Reuniting Perrett and Bourke and going 4 nationals on the O line. 5 nats if Couture is ready and can step up. Intzandt and the guy we draft this year back up.

Both played pretty well in 2015 for the Als and should be hungry to prove their doubters wrong. I think both guys were being paid too much to fit into the new plans for 2016 and believe they would be better together than apart.

5 Int receivers.

Trade Stanley B to the Esks for Franklin and Eddie Steele.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Why are the Bombers not looking at Greenwood ?

Could be the stud MLB they have been looking for.

Nichols had bad injuries as well so forget that argument of convenience.
Bennie Thompson

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts