Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Defence

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby Bennie Thompson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 am

Wonder how Taylor Loffler will do this year

Looks like he could be in line to see a lot of contact. Factor in the warrior mentality and it should be a good test to see how well his body holds up over the whole season.

Could he go to linebacker and then fill safety spot with another Canadian? I would like to see Teague Sherman back.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Put me down as a nay for another brother act with the Westermans.

Jamaal is everything Shologan was including overpaid and older. His passport is his ticket. Jabari has been around for a few years and hasn't shown much. Being a national hasn't hurt him either.

I say lets trade Jamaal to Wally for Lulay and let him deal with the brother act. Stick Corney into Westermans role and fill the hole in the middle with a monster like Nevis or Michael Allen Cash. Makes Jake Thomas a starter so bringing Donny O home could work out.

Thinking back to the Muambas I found it odd that Cauchy was so heavily criticized for his play and only here because of Henoc and then goes on to play another 4 years with another team. Maybe the schmoes didn't know.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:56 am

Seems like a good recruit. Big tall guy with long arms. No harm bringing this guy in.

Will be harder to throw the short pass out to the flat with him lined up. Hopefully beefing up for the NFL has not compromised his quickness.

Do not see this as the end for Cole or Green but they need to come to camp ready to go and still personally not interested in a Westerman reunion with the Bombers. Nationals yes but over hyped.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:36 am

Nice to see Jake Thomas anointed to starter at DT.

Drafted by Joe Mack as well if you can believe it.

Definitely been a give it all he's got kind of guy and a good team player over the years. Happy to see him get some recognition.

Curious to know if Walters was just blowing smoke with the "he is ready" stuff.

From what I found Thomas was listed at league minimum $52,000 salary for 2016 and lining up for 50 % of the snaps seems like a real value play. Drake Nevis and Alan-Michael Cash are listed at $52,000 as well for comparison but of course are internationals. Shologan on the other hand was listed on the same document at $170,000 so definitely a terrific savings to be had is there for them if it works.

Given that they split time it seems reasonable to double the individual stats to reflect on full time starting roles leaving Sholo with 44 tackles and 8 sacks and Thomas with 32 tackles, 0 sacks. Would never work out that way in the real world but this is a forum and it is February.

I have liked Thomas over the years and wish him well but it seems the Bombers are dumping a whole lot of hope on his back. Lining him up beside a rookie in Padric Scott and backing him up with two more in Butcher and Tennant really makes me wonder if the Bombers are being a bit naive about their roster plans. Hope they land a stud MLB.

The very least they can do is to show some respect and renegotiate the Thomas deal to put him on an equal level with the rest of the starting DTs around the league.

Seems to me the Bomber management team is flying by the seat of their pants and my prediction is the drought continues until these guys are gone.

Of course I could be totally wrong.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Not in favor of the brother act coming to town but sounds like I am in the minority. I am okay with that

My logic is Jamaal has one year left on his deal. If he has a great year he will want to be paid for it on the next contract or he will move on. If he has a bad year the Bombers will want to find better value and move on.

Either way, very likely that his time as a Bomber is nearing an end.

If Jabar comes in at his 2016 pay listed at league min $52,000 maybe okay but when big brother is making $165,000 I'm guessing he looks for a raise. Can you pay Jabar and leave Thomas where he is. His stats are not twice as good to warrant it.

Far better value with Cole and Green both listed at $52,000 opposite Okpalaugo and trading Jamaal in hope of shoring up another deficiency else where. Can you say QB?

I say Donny O makes more sense but feel there is zero chance of that happening. Not glamorous enough.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Noticed some talk about Okpalaugo over on the ArgoFans board.

Guys there are disappointed he passed them over to sign in Winnipeg but recognize it is difficult to sign players with no management team in place. Apparently they believe he was offered $130,000 by the Argos

There was mention of a tweet from T.O.'s agent stating that he was now the highest paid defensive end in the CFL and that the tweet had since been removed. Does not surprise me one bit if true.

Funny that Walters didn't spit that out in his "we got our man" speech.

Wade and his boys are sad and getting sadder.

Could be wrong. Time will tell
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:39 pm

I think there may be a big misconception that the Westermans are equal which they are not

Jamaal > Jabar.

Jamaal had an NFL look where Jabar did not.

Jamaal listed at $165,000 on loonie cap vs Jabar at $52,000.

Really hoping Walters doesn't overpay again but not holding my breath.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Poster on Riderfans mentioned Lawless reporting Okpalaugo signing for $135,000.

Hopefully his info is good.

Interesting followup comment that the Bombers have no cap issues so somewhat hard to believe that if the room was there they would not have resigned Cummings.

Many more moves to be made and lots of time to do it so wait and see.

Time to bite my tongue for a bit and give the boys a chance to roll out the plan.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:46 am

Can't say I am surprised but was thinking that Greg Jones might draw some interest from the Bombers.

Not to say they are not / have not discussed the possibility and maybe are just keeping it quiet for now.

I thought he played well for the Argos before going to Sask and don't feel Muamba taking his spot is related to ability.

Probably just going to go with another anointment as per standard O'Shea policy and guessing Kyle Knox will be given every opportunity to be the guy. Hopefully they get it right this time. I did like what he showed on teams last year.

I still like the Herdmans as development options with the hometown connection.

Thinking the Bombers will be okay at MLB whichever way they go. I had a dream Taylor Loffler was the guy and still think it could make sense.

Anyway... hold on tight
Bennie Thompson

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts