Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Receivers

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby Bennie Thompson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:44 am

Good signing adding Stafford.

Adds competition to an area that needed to improve.

Stafford brings some size for sure and showed promise a couple years back in Edmonton that kind of got derailed last year with all that went down in Montreal. Hoping he comes in with the right attitude and is able to contribute in a positive way. Would have probably been better for him to hang out more with Nic Lewis than Duron Carter but maybe all that is water under the bridge.

Disappointing for me that this would seem to indicate little interest in signing CD89 but I am hopeful that the professionalism and ability he showed last year would have been noticed around the league and would like to see him signed somewhere else. I think he still has gas in the tank and caught most everything thrown his way last year. He might fit well in Montreal.

Also like Weston Dressler as a player but even he has to know he is one shot away from being done. Thinking we have Smith ready for that eventuality.

Seems like all that is left is to figure out the parade route.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 pm

24th largest country in the world and yes I had to look it up. Canada #2

Interesting to hear the Bombers are working on getting a deal done. No doubt dollars and market value are the issue.

My take is they are still looking at him in an insurance role and because he was good about last years shenanigans Walters thinks he will roll over and come cheap again. I say pay him fairly based on the receivers in camp. Dressler money is not available but he should be on par with Darvin Adams and Stafford and certainly not less than Smith.

Respect and trust go along way towards a good working relationship and its time for the Bombers to show a little of both.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Still would like to see the Bombers in better shape at receiver.

Hoping for the best but don't feel good about Darvin Adams as the big threat red zone touchdown guy. Good speed but needs to improve on his routes and cut down on the drops.

If I were Kyle Walters I would look at trading Dressler to Montreal asking for Jabar Westerman but secretly hoping to land Michael Klassen to help Jake Thomas on the Dline.

I could actually see Montreal being interested in reuniting Durant and Dressler and they would probably work well together providing injuries don't come along. Imagine Dress and Thick Nic with Ernest Jackson and SJ Green.

To fill the spot I sign Greg Wilson from Calgary who I think is still a free agent at the moment. Younger and cheaper for sure.

Would still have Smith, Stafford, and Denmark to round it out and another good young national DT.

Just an idea.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:04 pm

Ryan Smith done and gone. We barely got to know you.

Best wishes for future endeavors

Would really like to see the Bombers offer a contract to Greg Wilson now that there is a little less congestion at the spot.

Or another plan
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Why is it now that we hear the truth of the Smith deal ? A nice guy but an overpaid bust as a Bomber.

Kind of brings to mind "what exactly were they thinking?". Smith had one good year at an entry level contract.

Does it come down to scouting? Smith is only one of what is becoming a long list of free agent busts for the Bombers under the Bob and Doug, Walters era.
Bottom line is the Bombers have horrid management. They overpay time and again and feed the fans crap that everyone wants to play for big Mikey O in the locker room of love.

All I can do is to wait for the implosion.
Bennie Thompson

Postby road griller » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:38 am

Too bad Smith never had the chance to play with Goltz. Bet they would have awesome together.
Winners win, losers lose.
road griller

Postby Bennie Thompson » Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 am

Not sure what the Bombers are seeing in Julian Feoli - Guidino that makes them think he will be the solution at starting receiver. No question he has made some plays during his time in Winnipeg although seemed to me his first year was his best.

Have not seen or noticed Coates so maybe there is upside there.

Looking around it appears BC might have trouble finding spots for all their guys now that Vandervoort has joined the team. Adekolu, Blaszko, and Shay Johnson were all rated highly going into last year. Believe Adekolu had a big game in the playoffs against Calgary and would definitely be a nice addition.

I'm sure there are others around the league and remain hopeful a gem slips through the cracks to help the Bombers out.

Or not.
Bennie Thompson

Postby Bennie Thompson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:54 am

Darvin Adams is bonafide as per MOS.

I have not seen that yet but good to know.
Bennie Thompson

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts