Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Labor Day Classic Gamethread

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:04 am

Well boys, the big day is here, we go to Regina to take on our rivals in the much-anticipated Labor Day Classic.

Noticed they bumped the kickoff up about an hour earlier than usual, I guess because no games are in front of it, so good for them.

A little disappointed they aren't airing this game on the ESPN TV networks, they did last year and the year before, not sure why not this year. You can still get it in the US though on ESPN3, the online ESPN network.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby J_Zilla » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:42 am

Bombers 42 Riders 17
J_Zilla

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm gonna predict quite a bit closer, Bombers 33 Riders 32

They'll be ready to play for this one, and I'm never overconfident coming into Regina. But I think in the end we make all the necessary plays to win.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Love that TD strike to McDuffie. Well, as its true records don't matter in this game, but so far the Riders look like the Riders we all know and the Bombers look like a team on the 4-game win streak.

Big fg miss return by Leggett
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Awww man, Dressler almost had his first TD as a Bomber in Mosaic on that play.

But still, 13-0 us on them. Gotta win this one for Jerry.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:27 pm

It's been an entertaining first half for sure, can't complain about a 16-3 lead when you haven't won this game in 12 years.

Only bad thing is we've had a few dropped TD passes that could be missed opportunities.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby J_Zilla » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:58 pm

BOMBERS WIN!!!
J_Zilla

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Amen and it's a day of joy, not complaining. I know yes it was closer than many were hoping, but it was the first time in 12 years (almost a lifetime ago) that we actually won this game. I know the Rider fans are going to blame the refs for losing this, but they were lucky to be in it period. But it doesn't matter because we have improved to 6-4, and possibly only 3 games away from clinching the playoffs.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby 1962BB » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Most Rider fans just screaming mad about the PI call saying the refs won the game for the Blue . Certainly a very close call but....... The Blue have suffered numerous bad calls against them over the past five or so years so say I because I am a Blue fan . Get my point ! This game should never have been this close however the Blue didn't do it when they should have . However give the Riders credit for not giving up to the point they could have won . But they didn't just like so very many times the Blue have come close but for some reason lost the game . Gee maybe it has something to do with talent . Today maybe some karma as well ?
1962BB

Postby In Motion » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:34 pm

One of the most exciting last 5 minutes I've ever seen the Bombers play in my 54 years
of following football. This game was fun!

I heard on the radio prior to the game that Sask's long snapper went down a few days ago,
so the one they had today was flown in like just 3 days ago. It put their
field goal kicker off his rhythm I believe. I saw that on two occasions when the snap
went wide though the holder did a good job of pulling it in and placing it.

Bob Irving said things can go wrong when you have a replacement long snapper in there.
So true!

I blame the Rider coach for gambling too much on 3rd and short. Also for the challenge
on the Roosevelt catch which hit the ground. Not smart calls in my opinion.

Not sure how the Bomber special teams could not cover that final punt. They were way too
aggressive in my opinion, charging willy nilly instead of just staying in their lanes. When chaos is happening
on the field, you have to keep your cool.

Also, not sure why the Bombers risked running out of time at the end? I saw Sask trying to hold
Harris upright to kill the clock, and they almost succeeded in doing so. Whew!!

I loved Harris' effort, but wondered why he was holding the ball in one hand only like a loaf of bread
on the last few plays instead of covering it with both hands/arms. This made him vulnerable to fumbling. The coaches
also have to teach our DBs how to protect the ball after they intercept it. They have it out there for
the opposition to knock out of their hand, as Durant did today. Luckily Adams got it back.

Lots to love about the Bombers now, but so much can still be improved (such as not taking roughing
penalties when the game is on the line!).

Great win though!! I'm happy. :D
In Motion

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:53 pm

1962BB wrote:Most Rider fans just screaming mad about the PI call saying the refs won the game for the Blue . Certainly a very close call but....... The Blue have suffered numerous bad calls against them over the past five or so years so say I because I am a Blue fan . Get my point ! This game should never have been this close however the Blue didn't do it when they should have . However give the Riders credit for not giving up to the point they could have won . But they didn't just like so very many times the Blue have come close but for some reason lost the game . Gee maybe it has something to do with talent . Today maybe some karma as well ?

Not surprised that PI call became a point of emphasis in Riderville, but honestly the person they should be mad it as their kicker, he missed 2 chip shots and an extra point that blew 7 points off the board right there for them.

CRAP - igna, yup literally
NorthCarolinaBomber

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts