Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

WHY Play Your First String QB During Garbage Time?

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby In Motion » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:08 pm

I must say I wonder about the IQ of coaches who keep playing their starting QBs when they have a huge lead.
Example: Maas playing the injury-prone Reilly against the Argos with a 24 point lead and just a few minutes left in the game.
Any ideas why they would risk injury for their starter and not give the back-up some playing time??

I can't think of a single reason.
In Motion

Postby Achilles » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:45 pm

I used to wonder about that, too, but then Neil Lumsden discussed it during the Bombers v Toronto game and he brought up the point that we need to know what is written into the player's contract. e.g what stats are required for bonuses to be paid based on season's performance.
I seem to remember a few instances where players have been taken out of a game when close to reaching a record - or kept in when they shouldn't have been because they needed "a few of something" to beat the record.
You sometimes see players mumbling a few things when they are taken out and I doubt if it's,"Thank you coach, I was waiting for that."
Achilles

Postby road griller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:40 am

The Riders would have to sit Durant after the opening kickoff. #always garbage time in sask#jonestownnowservinggreenkoolaid#tirefireinsask.
Winners win, losers lose.
road griller

Postby B-17 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:47 pm

I know one commentator spoke about the thrill for a QB to finish a big game, for his own enjoyment. Kind of like a pitcher going for a no-hitter even though his pitch count is getting high.

Personally, I think there was a time when if a team was down by 20 points in the fourth, you'd let your backup get some reps and valuable playing time. It was good for the league and kept your starter healthier. Less wear and tear, also. Now, it seems that teams are hoping for that three touchdown miracle. Sure it happens sometimes, but if you are being outplayed, your starter is struggling, or there is only five minutes left, use the opportunity to develop your backup. personally, I would have liked to see Willy come in for the last five minutes of the Hamilton game just to help him find his game form again in case Nichols gets hurt.

Maybe bonuses should just be on wins, not yards or playing time. Healthier for the QB and the team
Always my team, even at their worst.
B-17

Postby Achilles » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Another point connected with your original comment. There's a lot of controversy going on with fans re what to do about the Willy situation. Never mind saving Nichols from needless injury, we badly needed to see more of Davis at QB following his promising touches last year and more of Willy with a much better supporting cast, especially at O line.
If Willy happened to leave would you be happy with Nichols and (considering the little we have see) Davis ? I still feel that a really good evaluation of Willy would be to see him playing again for a while with the group we have. Nichols was not that great with the group Willy had . The O line has changed considerably, especially in attitude, and Harris now takes some of the pressure off.. If Willy is just the same as before then it's easier to make a decision
More to it, these days, than just saving Nichols from injury. Time is getting pretty short, though, and I'd want to be up by twenty points having seen some of the exciting comebacks this year. "Garbage" time is perhaps the last 30 seconds !
Achilles

Postby In Motion » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Since when do stats matter to a coach? I know he wants to keep
his top players happy, but to me this trend just reflects the selfishness
of today's player.
In Motion

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts