Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Drew Willy's Job On The Line - Start Nichols

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:26 am

Looks like the experiment is about over. I'd been saying all preseason how badly indecisive he was and a change was in order. It manifested itself again out on that field, and Willy is just not getting it done. I'm for making Nichols the guy, he's shown a lot more promise than Willy has.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby road griller » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:07 am

The Bomber brain trust has screwed up yet again. Willy stinks, way too long to make decision and runs like a sloth.
Winners win, losers lose.
road griller

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:54 am

Thinking you might be on to something. What is the plan to get the 3 Amigos in charge on board?

I do not dislike Willy but have not been impressed by his on field performance since he joined the team. What I would like to see is more in-game substitutions without the who's the starter drama rather than go 2 and out for extended periods. Seems like years since we have consistently moved the ball with authority.

My feel is Nichols does more to try and win games. Willy may have a better technical skill set. The team needs better results. O'Shea ? Lapo? Walters? Miller?

Hope Dressler is not done. Seemed like a "we hardly knew ya" moment when he rolled over. Not sure if he was fighting for a first down but if not bad call. I thought it was a fumble as well so that went the Bombers way.

Jayce Davis made one nice catch and Chris Randle was strong all night.

Final score made it sound closer than it was
Bennie Thompson

Postby road griller » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:35 am

Pure garbage. They need to clean house, starting at the top. They were out of excuses last season, the bleeding has just begun. Wait until they go 0-7, they are already the coldest ticket in town after week 1.
road griller

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:55 am

None are so deaf as those that will not hear
Bennie Thompson

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:56 am

If he's getting another start Lapo had better be calling a ton of screens and shovel passes because that seems to be the one pass he's hitting consistently.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby road griller » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Of course oshay will keep starting willy. And keep him in there no matter how much he struggles. oshay is done imo, way to many poor games. Top three need to be changed sooner rather than later.
road griller

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Yeah, I'm starting to think O'Shea is in over his head at this point. He was good early in 2014 when he was a breath of fresh air and new to the team, giving a little bit of a spark there, but you gotta do more than that as a head coach. You gotta be able to:

1. Constantly bring new game plans to the table every new week - I think he's failed to do that, and the results are showing by staying mostly the same and giving poor performing offensive displays against good defenses, and it doesn't seem to matter who the OC is.

2. Willy's had his time and not getting any better it doesn't look like, and O'Shea really should be willing to make the tough move to pull him when he's struggling and give Nichols a shot.

3. Player discipline looks like a real problem right now, and I just don't see him doing things to fix it. But on top of that, this team is badly underperforming and it's not because they don't have talent, it's because the talent is being minimized not maximized by the coaches.

Now if O'Shea goes Walters will too no doubt, though if it were left up to me I'd take an unpopular route of keeping him. The reason is because he has gone out and brought in by far the best talent available, which is what you want in a GM. Where he failed was in the Willy signing to big money, which may be the tipping point here, but he has given talent around him, or at least plenty to make things work. Problem is Mike O'Shea and the assistant coaches don't know how to make it work it seems, but unfortunately Kyle Walters is anchored to O'Shea so if one of them goes down, the other will too.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby Bennie Thompson » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Watched a little tape and came away with a few thoughts.

Willy was most ineffective early in the game. On a couple of occasions excellent first down plays setting up second and short were not converted. Getting stuffed on short yardage was the problem and I can see where O'shea would not be thinking change the quarterback at that point even though it dragged through to the half. Second half was a lot better for putting plays together. Good enough to make the stats look pretty good.

Davis, Adams, and Smith all had nice catches. Dressler came out flying. McDuffie looked good on returns. Andrew Harris is a beast and hitting a 58 yard field goal can boost the team on its own.

Reality though is the score should have been 33 - 0 at the half. Clearly there is work to do.

Just thought I would pass along my thoughts. As is sometimes the case things are not so bad as they first seem. We'll see what next week brings
Bennie Thompson

Postby road griller » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:09 pm

They have once again tried to sell the fans a handful of majic beans. Unfortunately they won't bite this time. This town is all in for the Jets and the Bombers are second/third fiddle. They have driven a steak into the heart of this team, it's just of matter of time now.

Good job boys, take a bow on the way out. This is your legacy.
road griller

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:47 am

Yeah, 2nd and short has been a problem area that this O-line and playcalling in general needs to improve on. I'm thinking we need to get a bit more creative, maybe not too fancy but at least change some things up to keep defenses from simply stacking up the middle on that down so we can convert more short yardage and stop the 2 and outs.

The one problem I'm having with this team's management is though is that I think they've done a bad job with QB management, or with sinking too much money and good will into a QB without any contingency plans in case they fail. This is what happened with Buck Pierce. 2013 especially, those of us who had seen that he was having injury problems and potentially regressing off the previous year, wanted to see a change and give one of our development youngsters, or somebody else with some upside a chance to win the starting job. But Old "Mack" daddy wasn't having that and he and his Burke/Crowton buddies decided it was live or die by the Buck, and we all know how that disaster turned out.

It just seems we may have made the same mistake with Willy, as because right now this starting job just seems to be closed and he's been paid a bit too hefty a check to go with it. When he's struggling or when you got hits being put on him, or what appears to be regression, you gotta leave the door open for someone like Nichols to compete for his job if you have the possibility to build continuity and chemistry with a guy like him.

John Hufnagel didn't sink the whole ship into Drew Tate when he recognized his injury problems, even despite Tate having an oustanding year as starter. I know the Stampeder fans are glad he let Bo Levi Mitchell go after that job and take it from him. The Leos also didn't go shoving Lulay's backups aside telling them they couldn't go out and get it when Lulay was struggling. He had his share of injuries, got a demotion and as a result Jennings is getting his chance to do it. And same thing in Montreal, they didn't just go sinking money into Troy Smith or Jonathan Crompton. Door's been wide open there.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:03 pm

Can't believe how many easy peasy throws he misses. Ridiculous. He needs to be benched as soon as he misses a wide open guy next game.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby road griller » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:46 am

Need to happen this game, we had this one. He missed Dressler for an easy TD right in front of us. Three more yards on the throw and he trots into the end zone. To quote my brother, how bad is nickels if they won't play him after this, how can he do any worse?

The boos were deafening. The fans have lost faith in the team, the stands were pretty bare as it is.

Real trouble ahead for the team, no way I will return to the stadium (minus Banjo Bowl, love that game). I can find other ways to spend that 300 I am sure.
road griller

Postby Bennie Thompson » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:38 pm

The play I found funny was the outlet to Darvin Adams where he didn't turn quickly enough to see the ball and Willy comes up with the WTF hand motion. Adams probably saved a loss by not catching the ball.

Should have everyone start doing that after every play.

In my opinion Willy is trying but the results are just not there. Maybe it is the system.

Time for a reboot is near. The whole organization is a mess.
Bennie Thompson

Postby road griller » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:07 pm

I remember that that play, first thing I said was willy needs to let that play develop. He looked like a tool throwing his hands up.

Stop being a chicken and play football. He is not the answer.
road griller

Next

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts