Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Floor Of Expectations For Mike O'Shea In 2016

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

What Should MOS's Minimum Accomplishments Be In 2016 To Stick Around?

Must Make The Playoffs
83%
Must Win The West Semifinal
17%
Must Win The West And Host The West Final
No votes
Must Get To The Grey Cup
No votes
Must Win The Grey Cup
No votes

Total votes : 12

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Well, even though it's still a ways off, 2016 will be here and with it, a whole new set of expectations. Lotta things going in the west and the league in general, but it's now time for this Bomber team to do its job.

Been a supporter of Mike O'Shea so far, but it's time now. We switched out the OC and brought back Lapolice by popular demand, we re-signed Nichols to back up Willy, Westerman is back and Hall's defense is in year 2 and should be improved, it's time to see results. This year, this team MUST make the playoffs and MUST get to at least the West Final to keep the favor on MOS's head. The changes have been made, now it's up to this team to capitalize on them.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby Dragon37 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:00 am

Either post a better than .500 season or pack your bags for that janitor job.
Dragon37

Postby blue in greenland » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:12 am

I think we have got to win at least one playoff game this year...just making the playoffs isnt enough...
blue in greenland

Postby blue in greenland » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:22 pm

I am assuming that OShea and the Management above him have contracts that expire at the end of this year. If we don't see a massive improvement in the win column why would the Bomber board of Directors keep anybody? Unless the board feels that the real problem lies in the scouting department (which at least partially could be the case) they will can the General Manager, and the new General Manager will hire a new scouting staff along with a new head coach. Anything less than, say, 11 wins and a playoff run...why wouldn't there be a new regime here next year? They can't reward further mediocrity...even if some of our failings have to do with injuries...other teams have those too...too many years without a playoff birth in a 9 team league...
blue in greenland

Postby Dee Urban Hermit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Very well said b in g. At the very least, we have to make the playoffs, I think the fans need to see a consistantly competitive team. That's what we haven't had for far too long.
Dee Urban Hermit

Postby road griller » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:16 pm

I expect LaPo to be the HC by week 8.
Winners win, losers lose.
road griller

Postby Colin Unger » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:39 pm

We have to show improvement in all areas and make the playoffs.
Ourbombers.com
Colin Unger
Site Admin

Postby B-17 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Depends on how well the rest of the division plays. Saskatchewan will be in a rebuilding year but they might turn it around fast. Edmonton still has a strong core group of players. BC doesn't seem as strong. Calgary a perennial powerhouse. If the division is close and we lose a tough semifinal after a decent season, I would say maintain momentum and keep O'Shea. We need to at least come in third in the division. Anything less after three years and it's time to move on from the O'Shea experiment. If we are in last place by Labour Day, time to cut him loose.

Especially with the talent Waters is bringing on board plus the coaching changes.
Always my team, even at their worst.
B-17

Postby In Motion » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm not a big fan of O'Shea as head coach. We have to at least make
the play-offs for him to stay.

As we saw last season and in the Super Bowl this Sunday, players taking
unnecessary roughness penalties has become an epidemic. I want to
see a coach who has no tolerance for stupid penalties. If it's a borderline
call OK, let it go... but if it is an ego-based penalty or due to lapsed concentration,
fine the guy and sit him for a few plays. If he's a oft-repeat offender, sit him out for
the next game. You hurt the team, you're out. Players nowadays don't seem
to learn otherwise.

O'Shea has to make his players more accountable. Team before individual ego.
In Motion

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm almost tempted to make the floor as making the Grey Cup. Little reason not to especially with the splashes we made in the FA signings (in particular Dressler and Harris), bringing back Lapolice, and having probably the best number 1 and 2 tandem of QBs in the league at this moment, apart from maybe Burris-Harris in Ottawa. Just feel like this team is about as well positioned talent-wise as any team in the whole league is ever going to be to get there this year.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby road griller » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:09 pm

Grey Cup or GTFO. There is a reason he is headed into to the season a lame duck HC.
Winners win, losers lose.
road griller

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:14 am

I do think that is very doable btw.

The thing that probably isn't talked about that much is that for the first time in forever it feels like, we won't have to learn another new defensive scheme the year right after implementing a new one. Adding Cummings and Shologan to that line too should really help give Westerman and Bass huge years, so add that into the big signings and re-signings on offense and this team is more than ready to go full speed ahead. I will say this, when you have a coach that has actually caused these free agents to want to come here to play for him, that is a very good sign. But what he really needs to do is to tell the players that its their time, and that this season can't just be about being content to make the playoffs, he needs to preach that they have to play to win the Grey Cup.

I know we all talk about expectations/predictions and excitement before a season every year, but I really feel, I really honestly feel we will march into Toronto, seize that Grey Cup, and bring it back here this time. But everyone a part of this organization needs to know that it is imperative this season..
NorthCarolinaBomber

Postby Dee Urban Hermit » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:21 pm

I like your predictions, and I would love to see this season result in bringing the Grey Cup to the "Peg. But I would be happy to see the Bombers as true competitors. I think management and the coaches know what is at stake here. Most of the players, the veterans know that the fans are starving to see this team come out swinging. We need to instil that fear that we had in the 80's. Other teams hated playing those Bomber Teams.

What a season that would be if we took it all the way! But, first let's see what we do have. Anyhow, if you have not read this yet, NCB, it is Weicek's take on why, despite what happens this year, we should keep the whole crew of management and coaches. Basically Weicek feels we need to do this for the sake of stabilty. It's a valid argument, one we had here on a post last season.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 90191.html
Dee Urban Hermit

Postby kpt_krunch » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:31 am

Well NCB - of course that will be O'Shea's message. But don't kid yourself, it's Maas's message too (and I like Reilly a lot better than Willy - Reilly is a winner no matter what he's doing on the field he doesn't give up as he showed against us last year).

Chris Jones - with a healthy DD and a purging of the old players and all the ex Esks joining him, guess what his message is?

Calgary is a powerhouse still - they have the best QB tandem in the league btw - by a country mile - in Drew Tate and Bo Levi Mitchell.

Buono is back in B.C.

I voted for us making the playoffs but it won't be easy. IMO - if the bombers are 'competitive' in the majority of their games (like say 16 of 18 - I'll allow two stinkers almost every team has a stinker or two every year) then I'll be good with Mike keeping is job.

But if it's like last year, we we have multiple stinkers then he must go.

The West is tough. I think it will be a West cross over this year too (I think both Toronto and Montreal will be in the toilet) so we'll have to see.
kpt_krunch

Postby NorthCarolinaBomber » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Dee Urban Hermit wrote:I like your predictions, and I would love to see this season result in bringing the Grey Cup to the "Peg. But I would be happy to see the Bombers as true competitors. I think management and the coaches know what is at stake here. Most of the players, the veterans know that the fans are starving to see this team come out swinging. We need to instil that fear that we had in the 80's. Other teams hated playing those Bomber Teams.

What a season that would be if we took it all the way! But, first let's see what we do have. Anyhow, if you have not read this yet, NCB, it is Weicek's take on why, despite what happens this year, we should keep the whole crew of management and coaches. Basically Weicek feels we need to do this for the sake of stabilty. It's a valid argument, one we had here on a post last season.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 90191.html

That is a fair take, and one that I'll both agree and disagree on. I've advocated for bringing stability and a well-run organization back to the forefront here, and I'm certainly hoping we do got our men here for that, because I certainly would love for this team not to have to do new coaching searches every 2 or 3 years or so. But you do have to balance having that stability with having improvement, because as a head coach, especially one tasked with taking over a team that's been in the bad, your job is to improve the team. Now yes, I think you do gotta give a head coach some time to do it, especially with a team like ours, but it shouldn't take much more than about 3 years to do so.

All that to say, we gotta give MOS and Walters at least this full year (no changes at midseason under any circumstances for me) and see what happens by then. Like I said, I think they can and will improve this team's record and I got faith we will be in the playoffs this year, but I have been disappointed in that regard before so I won't keep my fingers crossed. My hope is that they will be here next year, but just remember we've gone out, we've brought in the free agents, we've given them talent to work with, all that to say I just don't think you can justify continuing down this track if we finish 5-13 again.
NorthCarolinaBomber

Next

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts