Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Bluto vs. Mike 2011 Season Bet

Moderators: Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby bluto » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:35 am

No Boyd tonight. He practiced all week and is at full speed, but Barker's policy is to practice a full week after injury and then play the following week. Have to agree when it's a crucial player and still early in the season and your backup was just player of the week.

Lemon gets the ball. Our qb situation has been talked over to death and I'd love for it to be over... but until Lemon puts up a couple of wins in a row where his contribution is conspicuous, he'll never be without intense scrutiny upon him.

Kackert worked all week on ball security. Shocking that a guy could get to the pros and have poor ball handling technique, but he said that it was never a problem for him before. I reckon that was because before pro, a guy like him is quite a bit stronger than his tacklers and he could get away with holding the ball low and not covering the ball's "noses". All week long he's had the ball high and tight and covered... hope i can see it tonight, because for sure the Als will be swatting the ball as they try to tackle him... hopefully that lets him break one or two more.

Owens has not been working on ball security. Not sure if it's because they're trying to have him not think about it (ie: if he thinks about fumbles, he'll fumble) or that they figure you can only teach a guy one big project at a time... His current project is route running 101. If you watch him, he runs everything full blast. No patience. Never slow or jukey or deceptive. The only Argo (or CFL player) i ever remember being awesome at kick return and still a good receiver was Rocket Ismail. I think the skills are totally different and it might just be easier for running backs.

We gave up 14 points to shanked punts last week... I hope Shaw doesn't do that to us again tonight because much like Boyd, Pre is practicing but likely will need to wait a week and let our usually steady backup try to redeem himself.

I wonder if we can break our record we set last week of 3 plays in 2 seconds? (that was another 4 points we shouldn't have lost) At any rate, it's time for the Argo Bounce to come back tonight. The Larks are coming off a loss and will be looking to add to our misery, but I'm hopeful that the climb back to .500 should start tonight. Like I've said, we we're 2-5 to start in 2006 and finished 10-8. We spotted the division a lead again in 2007 when we went 2-6 to start and we finished 11-7. It's not like there isn't great talent in that locker room... they just need to play like it and stop doing things that help to defeat themselves.

I'm stuck an hour north of the city right now and will be here until 5:30... then the weekend rush hour will fight me all the way to the lake. I'm hoping that I'm in my seat with a beer by the second quarter.
CHAMP16NS
bluto

Postby bluto » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:54 am

CHAMP16NS
bluto

Postby BVD » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:17 am

If Lemon and Bell fail.... do you think Bishop gets the start next week?
BVD

Postby bluto » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:25 am

BVD wrote:If Lemon and Bell fail.... do you think Bishop gets the start next week?

not a chance.

Lemon hasn't played poorly. Bell is still wet behind the ears and prone to the sort of errors that a qb with only one start will make.

Barker won't call Bishop unless injuries occur.

speaking of which, Jyles has been in pads and throwing balls for a week. hopefully he won't have another setback in his rehab. if not, he'll be carrying the clipboard some time in late August.
CHAMP16NS
bluto

Postby SectionKBlackout » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 am

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops
"From Reinbold to Reinbald...still hoping for that Cup"
SectionKBlackout

Postby bluto » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:39 am

Mike wrote:Is this a wrap yet? :wink:

we'll have to see if the 2011 edition has the same sort of guts that the 2006 and 2007 editions of the team had.

it looks like a hole too deep to come out of in early August though. hopefully it looks better in a month or so... or else I'm buying Bomber merch. (and contributing to the Manitoba delusion that their uniforms don't look godawful)
CHAMP16NS
bluto

Postby bluto » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 am

**** i'd love to beat the TiCats tomorrow...

also: if you are on Facebook and can vote for me for Gibson's Finest Fan (you can vote once per day) i'd appreciate it. my name is Rye M.
CHAMP16NS
bluto

Postby bluto » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 am

Mike wrote:Sure, I'll start making a point of doing it. :D

already promised that if i win the trip to Vancouver and it's the Bombers there (and the Argos aren't) that i'll wear Bomber gear and post a picture of it here.
CHAMP16NS
bluto

Postby bluto » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Mike wrote:Winnipeg: 6-1
Toronto: 2-6

Long climb back, Bluto.

8)

likely too long (barring some major injury). well, we were 2-6 in 2007 and finished 1st. our D then was the best i've ever seen... i don't see us going on a run like that this time.

bluto from argos v rider thread wrote:just a weird game.

we got some ridiculous calls that had AD and i glancing at each other with "did that just happen??" faces. we reckoned that it was ref Glen Johnson's worst nightmare: his two most hated teams and he had to pick one to screw... so the Winnipeg born boy was true to his roots and went against the green.

the "story" of the game for me was of our defence being adequate and their offence being crap for 3 quarters... then in the 4th when our guys thought they could go home early (being unaccustomed to winning this season they had forgotten that you actually have to be ahead after 60 minutes elapses) former coach Marshall turned to Durant and said "c'mon... just one good quarter of offence before they tie the can to me tomorrow...? please?"
...okay it may not have gone exactly like that, but that's how i reckoned it from my seats and had some Rider fans laughing ruefully.
...plus their kicking game woes are just ridiculous.

just happy that the offence has something to offer in the air these days so we have something to cheer for besides the inevitable car crash when the D stacks 9 in the box against Boyd.

no opinion yet on the "Steinauer" D vs. Garber's. the boys may be playing a bit more aggressively for Orlondo, but the plays and setups are the same to me.
3 straight weeks of home cooking is going to be weird for the blue on blue.
CHAMP16NS
bluto

Postby bluto » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:28 am

yeah... it looks dire for the bet (if you're me, that is...)

at this point i'm only concerned about getting some wins and trying to gel for the post season.looks like cpt kirk is in my 'hood tonight, so i'll go looking for a guy at a BC/T.O game wearing blue and yellow looking lost... (just kidding if you're reading this kirkie)

not making a trip to Hamilton on Monday... feels weird man...
CHAMP16NS
bluto

PreviousNext

Return to Smack Talk

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts