Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Do you want the NHL back in Winnipeg?

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Do you want the NHL back in Winnipeg

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 81

Postby peg_city » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:38 pm

No, 20 times a year probably. Depends how much money I will be making when or if they get a team.
peg_city

Postby RemtheGem » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 pm

As a Canadian but not a Winnipeger, I still want Canadian teams to go ahead of American teams for expansion. The Canadian teams are amongst the richest in the NHL and support the imbalance in transfer payments now.

I would like Winnipeg, QC and Hamilton in the NHL before Vegas and KC, but knowing Bettman it may never happen.
RemtheGem

Postby ManitobaMike » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:38 am

peg_city wrote:No, 20 times a year probably. Depends how much money I will be making when or if they get a team.
People like you, I have no respect for. You want the NHL back, but will not buy season tickets. Typical Winnipeg. :roll:
ManitobaMike

Postby peg_city » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:31 pm

ManitobaMike wrote:
peg_city wrote:No, 20 times a year probably. Depends how much money I will be making when or if they get a team.
People like you, I have no respect for. You want the NHL back, but will not buy season tickets. Typical Winnipeg. :roll:

Lets not generalize, calm down, be alittle more supportive of your city, read your Winnipeg Sun and then go out and buy some Moose tickets. I'm sure theres a line for those.
peg_city

Postby BVD » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:11 pm

ManitobaMike wrote:

What do you expect it's Winnipeg... the nose bleed sections would sell out while the bottom bowl would be nice and empty...
BVD

Postby dkehler » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:16 pm

BVD wrote:
ManitobaMike wrote:

What do you expect it's Winnipeg... the nose bleed sections would sell out while the bottom bowl would be nice and empty...

Actually, I think it's been proven many times that it's the more expensive seats that sell at the fastest. Even in Winnipeg.
David
dkehler

Postby BVD » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:31 pm

dkehler wrote:Actually, I think it's been proven many times that it's the more expensive seats that sell at the fastest. Even in Winnipeg.

It was more of a joke trying to show how cheap Peggers are :D
BVD

Postby BlueBallz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:24 pm

dkehler wrote:
BVD wrote:
ManitobaMike wrote:

Actually, I think it's been proven many times that it's the more expensive seats that sell at the fastest. Even in Winnipeg.

Know who's buying the more expensive seats?? The real hockey fans, and the 'suit and tie' crowd.

Why are the cheaper seats always in abundance? Because those are the seats that they depend on the 'casual' and walk up' crowd to pluck up. If they're not filling those seats, then there has to be concern, because those are the seats needed to fill if a team is to be sustained in the long run.
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"

Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
BlueBallz

Postby Dieter5 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:39 pm

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
If you truly enjoy what you do you will never work a day in your life
Dieter5

Postby ManitobaMike » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:35 am

I would love to see how many so called die hard NHL fans are willing to spend $200-$300 a night 40 times a year for a lower bowl seat. :roll:
ManitobaMike

Postby dkehler » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:23 pm

ManitobaMike wrote:I would love to see how many so called die hard NHL fans are willing to spend $200-$300 a night 40 times a year for a lower bowl seat. :roll:

I would love to know where you get those prices considering the most expensive Oilers season ticket works out to ~$160/game. :roll: :roll: :roll:
David
dkehler

Postby BVD » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:56 pm

Even "if" the tickets were 160 dollars... I doubt many peggers would still go. Heck we have troubles selling 20-40 dollar tickets for Bomber games when the team isnt' winning. I can't imagine to many people spending 5 times as much with a team that wont ever contend.
BVD

Postby ManitobaMike » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:07 am

dkehler wrote:
ManitobaMike wrote:I would love to see how many so called die hard NHL fans are willing to spend $200-$300 a night 40 times a year for a lower bowl seat. :roll:

I would love to know where you get those prices considering the most expensive Oilers season ticket works out to ~$160/game. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Thats easy. We have a building that seats 2,000 less than Rexall place. (MTS Centre is not expandable). There is no parking revenue, just concessions. A beer at a Ottawa Senators game is $12.50. Is there any corporations in this town that are prepared to sink between $100,000-$250,000 for one of the private boxes in the MTS Centre? Can we afford a $45 million dollar U.S. payroll that would be needed to qualify for revenue sharing?
ManitobaMike

Postby dkehler » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:06 pm

ManitobaMike wrote:
dkehler wrote:

Thats easy. We have a building that seats 2,000 less than Rexall place. (MTS Centre is not expandable).

Says who it's not expandable?

There is no parking revenue, just concessions. A beer at a Ottawa Senators game is $12.50. Is there any corporations in this town that are prepared to sink between $100,000-$250,000 for one of the private boxes in the MTS Centre? Can we afford a $45 million dollar U.S. payroll that would be needed to qualify for revenue sharing?

Even many of the biggest critics of the NHL returning to Winnipeg have recently realized that we'd probably at least break even. No, it won't be cheap, but there is NO basis for the $200/$300 per ticket fearmongering nonsense. Winnipeg has had no trouble selling out the MTS Centre at market rates since it opened.

We need to get past the can't do attitude.
David
dkehler

Postby dkehler » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:11 pm

BVD wrote:Even "if" the tickets were 160 dollars... I doubt many peggers would still go. Heck we have troubles selling 20-40 dollar tickets for Bomber games when the team isnt' winning. I can't imagine to many people spending 5 times as much with a team that wont ever contend.

Who says we wouldn't ever contend? There is more that can't do attitude I'm talking about.

Anyway, I don't think you can compare the CFL to the NHL directly. Sure, there may be fans of both, but a fan of one doesn't necessarily mean that person is a fan of the other and vice versa. And luckily, we only need around 13,000 people that are willing to pay NHL prices every game (plus corporate box sales). I think it's well within the realm of possibility.
David
dkehler

PreviousNext

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts