Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Do you want the NHL back in Winnipeg?

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Do you want the NHL back in Winnipeg

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 81

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Wed May 30, 2007 4:25 pm

there is nothing wrong with having a team, but there is some issues that might have people turned off...

1. They aren't hockey fans, so they see that much time and money as a waste (and The way winnipeg has always run is 99.9% on tax payers money, so i'm sure some are sceptical)

2. The pain of losing a team in the first place i'm sure still has people fuming. To think of the "save our jets" rally, and it still didn't work? what would stop it form happening again only to break our hearts a second time?

3. biggest issue $$ - remember this is winnipeg, you think people will spend over $2K on season tickets? - $70 on game day tickets here and there? some will, but the majority I think would hesistate, and then we'd get debates about how the moose were so affordable (yet people still barely showed up)
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby dkehler » Wed May 30, 2007 4:26 pm

peg_city wrote:I am still not getting what the drawback is. If someone doesn't 'want' a team in Winnipeg it means that there has to be some type of major drawback. This isn't anyones tax dollars at work here. If you don't like hockey then don't go to the games. Thats the great thing about spending your entertainment dollar. Not like we will see a save the Moose rally at the forks if we get an NHL team.

The problem as I see it is that there are a great number of vocal naysayers that are convinced that an NHL team cannot survive in Winnipeg without significant taxpayer subsidies. Of course, that is on top of the typical average Winnipegger "can't do" attitude.
David
dkehler

Postby Pitbull » Wed May 30, 2007 5:22 pm

So if almost everyone here says Yes, why is No winning or is BlueFan simply posting his agenda thinking that this little poll will not make the NHL come back?

I agree that Winnipeg has the "can't do" attitude and the ones that do have the good attitude aren't even hockey fans.

I also agree that many are fuming over losing the Jets and having the only option being sub par AHL hockey to watch. I also believe that since so much taxpayer money goes into everything in this province, people will think that the NHL players salaries will come out of the public pockets in terms of taxes and not tickets.
Pitbull

Postby General Taylor » Wed May 30, 2007 10:26 pm

Hey Pitbull not sure where you get off saying that Blue Fan is running up the votes on this poll... One user can only vote one time and that includes Blue Fan. I for one am getting sick of your BS and how if anyone on this board says that the NHL cannot return you attack them..

Blue Fan or no other poster has voted more then one time in this poll...
General Taylor

Postby peg_city » Wed May 30, 2007 11:34 pm

Pitbull wrote:I read in the Winnipeg sun such negativity towards an NHL return to Winnipeg today.

The Sun Negative? Nahh
peg_city

Postby BVD » Thu May 31, 2007 8:04 am

What's with the poll? Wasn't it in favour of having a team by a long shot when it was first posted?
BVD

Postby peg_city » Thu May 31, 2007 12:54 pm

Yeah, some keeps on playing around with it.
peg_city

Postby Y2C » Thu May 31, 2007 1:19 pm

Internet polls don't mean anything. Just ask Hal Anderson, the 35th Greatest Canadian of All-Time....... :roll:

I mean there have been maybe a handful of people that seemingly would vote no in this post but apparently 26 people have done so? I'd love to hear the names of those who voted no. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the sudden explosion of members joining up from "Russia", "Poland", and sofourth though.
Y2C

Postby Pitbull » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:24 am

You can be sick of my BS all you want. Doesn't matter.

It just reminds me of the "What Canadian team will win the Cup" and had the NHL Canadian teams and then someone thinks it's funny to add the Moose and within a few hours, the Moose almost have the lead? There is only one member here who is that Pro Moose/Anti Jet with Mod access and it actually wasn't me that accused him of modifying the polls at that time.

And no, I don't have a problem with BlueFan when it comes to football. I don't even know him. His copy and pastes save me the time that I would spend going to the newspaper sites.

But, internet polls do mean nothing anyways. I would just like to hear from these people that say no with their reason for not wanting an NHL team in their city. It's the NHL. Canada is Hockey and since more people than not on this board are sports fans to begin with, why not want the best hockey in this city?
Pitbull

Postby ediger » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:57 pm

how is no still losing?
ediger

Postby BlueBallz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:32 pm

Taynted_Fayth wrote:there is nothing wrong with having a team, but there is some issues that might have people turned off...

1. They aren't hockey fans, so they see that much time and money as a waste (and The way winnipeg has always run is 99.9% on tax payers money, so i'm sure some are sceptical)

2. The pain of losing a team in the first place i'm sure still has people fuming. To think of the "save our jets" rally, and it still didn't work? what would stop it form happening again only to break our hearts a second time?

3. biggest issue $$ - remember this is winnipeg, you think people will spend over $2K on season tickets? - $70 on game day tickets here and there? some will, but the majority I think would hesistate, and then we'd get debates about how the moose were so affordable (yet people still barely showed up)

And I think that's a fact lost on most people who refuse to look at the situation realistically. Salaries are manageble now sure, but they aren't going to stay that way, and it seems some people dont' understand that, or don't want to, because salaries WILL go up, and pretty soon we'll right back to where we started when we had to say good-bye the last time because it was getting too expensive.

Some people may call that being Anti-Jet, but they are too stubborn to see it any other way. And of course the die hards will claim that they will have no problem coughing up the dough to see the NHL return, but they can't be speaking for the average/casual fan, and those are the ones that will need to be attracted to come out, if a franchise is to last, plain and simple.

Others, out of blind devotion and loyalty, accuse the rest of having a "can't do" attitude....awwwww poor babies :lol:

I love the NHL, and the Jets just as much as those fans, but what's the point in hyping it, or debating it, if you're too stubborn to look at the situation objectively or without bias?
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"

Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
BlueBallz

Postby dkehler » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:03 pm

BlueBallz wrote:
Taynted_Fayth wrote:there is nothing wrong with having a team, but there is some issues that might have people turned off...

And I think that's a fact lost on most people who refuse to look at the situation realistically. Salaries are manageble now sure, but they aren't going to stay that way, and it seems some people dont' understand that, or don't want to, because salaries WILL go up, and pretty soon we'll right back to where we started when we had to say good-bye the last time because it was getting too expensive.

Some people may call that being Anti-Jet, but they are too stubborn to see it any other way. And of course the die hards will claim that they will have no problem coughing up the dough to see the NHL return, but they can't be speaking for the average/casual fan, and those are the ones that will need to be attracted to come out, if a franchise is to last, plain and simple.

Others, out of blind devotion and loyalty, accuse the rest of having a "can't do" attitude....awwwww poor babies :lol:

I love the NHL, and the Jets just as much as those fans, but what's the point in hyping it, or debating it, if you're too stubborn to look at the situation objectively or without bias?

Do you really think that we haven't thought about these things?

Do you realize that the salary cap is tied to league revenue? This year's revenue increase can largely be attributed to increasing ticket prices after ticket price reductions to bring fans back after the lockout. There is a limit to what people will pay to see an NHL hockey game, not just in Winnipeg, and I believe that limit is very close to being reached. Therefore, without a huge influx of cash, like the impossible dream of a big national US TV contract, the salary cap is going to plateau within a couple of years maximum.

And Winnipeg seems to be doing quite well paying market rates for tickets to concerts etc. and selling out the building since the MTS Centre has opened. I see no reason why we wouldn't do the same for hockey.

And I don't think much of your holier than thou attitude.
David
dkehler

Postby BlueBallz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:33 pm

dkehler wrote:
BlueBallz wrote:

Do you really think that we haven't thought about these things?

Do you realize that the salary cap is tied to league revenue? This year's revenue increase can largely be attributed to increasing ticket prices after ticket price reductions to bring fans back after the lockout. There is a limit to what people will pay to see an NHL hockey game, not just in Winnipeg, and I believe that limit is very close to being reached. Therefore, without a huge influx of cash, like the impossible dream of a big national US TV contract, the salary cap is going to plateau within a couple of years maximum.

And Winnipeg seems to be doing quite well paying market rates for tickets to concerts etc. and selling out the building since the MTS Centre has opened. I see no reason why we wouldn't do the same for hockey.

And I don't think much of your holier than thou attitude.

Sure they seem to be doing quite well paying market rates for concerts, BUT do they do it 3-4 times a week??

Holier than thou huh? :lol: So sorry if I hurt your feelings...But THAT insinuation is just as idiotic.
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"

Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
BlueBallz

Postby ManitobaMike » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:25 am

peg_city wrote:I am really suprised to see this many people say they don't want to see the Jets back in Winnipeg. Its not like it requires alot from the public. Show up for games and pay more for a ticket. I personally don't mind paying $50 for a Moose or Bomber ticket and wouldn't mind playing $100 for a Jets ticket. The loss of the team ment alot to the community and I wounder if some people forgot the sense of pride it gave to Winnipegers.
Are you going to pay $100.00 a night 40 times a year?
ManitobaMike

PreviousNext

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts