Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Do you want the NHL back in Winnipeg?

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Do you want the NHL back in Winnipeg

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 81

Postby Pitbull » Mon May 28, 2007 2:51 pm

It's as simple as this. Do you want to see the NHL come back to Winnipeg?

There is no need to argue about cost of tickets, owners and all that other stuff because we all know, there are always people willing to spend money on tons of things and we aren't the people who are going to make rich owners minds up. They do what they want to do.

Asper wants to own the Bombers, he also wants to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg. The Jefferson Richardson Group wants to be a part of an NHL return to Winnipeg, so does a handful of other companies and they've went public about it too.

Do you want to have the NHL move a team or expand to Winnipeg. Would you like to once again hear your city's name mentioned a few times a week on TSN, CBC and other sports networks and feel great happiness when they win and anger when they lose?
Pitbull

Postby barnes7 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Who doesn't?

Having the NHL in Winnipeg especially if an NHL team worked with the Bombers(advertising and such, avoiding conflicts by never having games on the same night)

The MTS center would need to be expanded to 17-19K But an NHL team in Winnipeg could do very good, atleast be in the middle 10 teams revenue wise.(the top 5-7 are the insane revenue teams like DET, NYR, TML, MTL followed by DAL, VCR, COL)

Expand the MTS past 17K, follow the Jetsowner plan but with 2K more upper deck seats the average upper deck seat could be like 28$(24-32$ CAD) Affordable.
The Beasts of the east have returned
barnes7

Postby Darryl » Mon May 28, 2007 5:47 pm

As if no is winning... some people act way too stubborn to make a point. :roll:
Darryl

Postby Pitbull » Mon May 28, 2007 6:45 pm

I think it's BlueFan just adding a bunch of no's to it. Talk about someone with an agenda.

Doesn't matter what he thinks though, Winnipeg wants the NHL back.
Pitbull

Postby BVD » Mon May 28, 2007 6:53 pm

I voted YES, hell those American teams don't deserve an NHL franchise.
BVD

Postby TYSOALEX » Mon May 28, 2007 8:46 pm

Hell ya I'd want a team back.
Blue Forever!
TYSOALEX

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Mon May 28, 2007 9:28 pm

I do want an nhl team back sure, but at the same a small part of me doesn't... i'll explain;

Since the Jets left, i'd have to say the appeal of the blue bombers hit an all time high - maybe if we won a cup or 2 like in the 80's, it'd be an even crazier amount of support. but i'd say generally, it's been good having the spotlight on the blue crew and hope it continues.

When i look at other cities with big league teams, like the flames, canucks, leafs, habs, (i'd say oilers too but the eskies made themselves pretty respectable in edmonton), i dont see the enthusaism like the riders and hamilton (well till they started to stink over the last half a decade) and winnipeg, since the jets left. I dont know how much that would hinder things in terms of support, but a new team would for sure steal all wind the bombers have been building at least for the next 5 years till a new nhl team would be come the norm again like the jets were.

I do think people will still go to bomber games as they play in different seasons, however it could dent season ticket sales and general interest as everyone would want the 411 on a new nhl team such as who are we getting for players and who CAN we get via trades/signings as we'd basically have to start from stratch or take of a team that obviously wasn't doing it right to have been shown the door of their respective city.
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby SamBourne » Mon May 28, 2007 10:59 pm

Simply put, I want NHL hockey back in Winnipeg. That feeling of being able to live and die with a hockey team has been missing since the Jets left. It's easier to have that feeling when your team is in the world's best hockey league, and able to compete for the Stanley Cup.

But instead of naming the team Winnipeg Jets, we should pick a different name. The NHL Jets had a history of mediocrity and mismanagement-do we really want to carry this over to a new team? New start, new arena-new name-but keep the same colors. Hopefully this new team has better management than the NHL Jets ever did.

BTW, I'm not into bashing the American teams. Minnesota has a long tradition of amateur hockey and sells out nightly, and Dallas has been successful as well. Canadians aren't the only hockey fans on earth.
Sometimes the Bombers struggle. But at least I'm not a Detroit Lions fan. FIRE THE CHEERLEADERS!
SamBourne

Postby Hollywood2 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:28 pm

Hollywood2

Postby peg_city » Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 pm

I am really suprised to see this many people say they don't want to see the Jets back in Winnipeg. Its not like it requires alot from the public. Show up for games and pay more for a ticket. I personally don't mind paying $50 for a Moose or Bomber ticket and wouldn't mind playing $100 for a Jets ticket. The loss of the team ment alot to the community and I wounder if some people forgot the sense of pride it gave to Winnipegers.
peg_city

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Tue May 29, 2007 12:00 am

i dont think we've forgotten the pride but after 10+ years MOST of us have come to accept it and move on. clearly not everyone as any mention of a team in trouble, it's Winnipeg? c'mon! winnipeg??

I agree that the jets are dead. new name would be fine, no one will forget what once was but any remains of the jets probably went down with the old barn. I mean lets say we got a team tomorrow, we'd have new management, new coaches, new players, new arena, why would we slap then with a name that truely isnt theirs? I still say the Blizzard would be a good name, especially if we carried on the white out tradition, but that too could have left with the jets as i noticed the colorful crowds at the moose playoff games
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby peg_city » Tue May 29, 2007 12:08 am

MOST of us have come to accept it and move on

Its alittle unfare to assume things. I personally won't lose any sleep if they don't come back. I would like them to, it would bring alot of excitment to this city but strangly enough probable won't be living in this city long enough to see them back.
peg_city

Postby Hodge » Tue May 29, 2007 11:38 pm

Oh Hell Yeah!

And thats the bottom line.... cause Hodge said so.
You know your a rider fan when....
- You lit a match in the bathroom and your house exploded right off its wheels
-You think loading the dishwasher means getting your wife drunk

The Yheti.
Hodge

Postby Pitbull » Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm

I read in the Winnipeg sun such negativity towards an NHL return to Winnipeg today.
Pitbull

Postby peg_city » Wed May 30, 2007 4:06 pm

I am still not getting what the drawback is. If someone doesn't 'want' a team in Winnipeg it means that there has to be some type of major drawback. This isn't anyones tax dollars at work here. If you don't like hockey then don't go to the games. Thats the great thing about spending your entertainment dollar. Not like we will see a save the Moose rally at the forks if we get an NHL team.
peg_city

Next

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts