Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Ottawa v Pittsburgh

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Who will win?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:23 am

Ottawa
57%
Pittsburgh
43%

Total votes : 30

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:32 am

I will have to pick the sens for a few reasons;

1. year after year they are contenders who bomb in the postseason. It's eventually gonna happen that they do what many have expected them to do year after year, so why no tthis one? gotta start somewhere.

2. I think Pittsburg is too young. Sure they picked up some vets like Recchi and Roberts, and i'm sure Mario is throwing in his 2 cents in every chance he gets, but is really enough? it's one thing if it were just sid the kid alone on the team who needed the guidence, but you have a russian who can probably speak about as good of english as Borat, and Staal, MA Fleury. that's 4 playoff rookies (3) as your top point getters and a guy you need to stand on his head is asking a bit much.

3. I've never been a huge fan of Marc-Andre Fleury. Not a big fan of Emery's either but if I had to bet on one of these 2 ponies I would definately take a goalie who's in this position year after year over a first timer, and that inexperience on this team is whats gonna cost pittsburg any real chance at success.

I think it was Ronieck on TSN yesterday who made a good point about the playoffs being, 3x faster, and 3x harder, and you'll never know exactly how to adjust to it till you play it. - with this thought i think pittsburg will win a few, but ultimately they'll fall, but it's all the more reason to look forward to next season, as this should prove to be invaluable experience for all these kids
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby BlueBallz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 am

Taynted_Fayth wrote:I will have to pick the sens for a few reasons;

1. year after year they are contenders who bomb in the postseason. It's eventually gonna happen that they do what many have expected them to do year after year, so why no tthis one? gotta start somewhere.

2. I think Pittsburg is too young. Sure they picked up some vets like Recchi and Roberts, and i'm sure Mario is throwing in his 2 cents in every chance he gets, but is really enough? it's one thing if it were just sid the kid alone on the team who needed the guidence, but you have a russian who can probably speak about as good of english as Borat, and Staal, MA Fleury. that's 4 playoff rookies (3) as your top point getters and a guy you need to stand on his head is asking a bit much.

3. I've never been a huge fan of Marc-Andre Fleury. Not a big fan of Emery's either but if I had to bet on one of these 2 ponies I would definately take a goalie who's in this position year after year over a first timer, and that inexperience on this team is whats gonna cost pittsburg any real chance at success.

I think it was Ronieck on TSN yesterday who made a good point about the playoffs being, 3x faster, and 3x harder, and you'll never know exactly how to adjust to it till you play it. - with this thought i think pittsburg will win a few, but ultimately they'll fall, but it's all the more reason to look forward to next season, as this should prove to be invaluable experience for all these kids

Emery hasn't been in this position year after year, the Sens have. This is only Emery's second year leading the Sens into the playoffs, and last year he didn't look too great. I'd rather take a first rounder who's only 22, and has looked bad mainly due to the fact he's been playing on some brutal Penguin's teams, and still has the potential to be a top goaltender in league.

And I agree, I've said before that I think the Pens have the potential to upset, but it'll be alot harder said than done against a playoff-experienced, and deep team as the Sens. Against a offensively loaded team such as the Sens, the Pens lack of depth behind Gonchar and Whitney will be exposed. Lack of depth and experience will ulitmately hurt the Pens as other teams with more experience and depth will prevail.

The experience will benefit guys like Sid the Kid, Malkin, Staal and Malone however, and it surely won't be their last shot in the playoffs.
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"

Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
BlueBallz

Postby BVD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:04 am

The pens just played sloppy and were out muscled. That Chris Neil breakaway goal was a brutal give away from the Pens.

I wonder if they'll start Thilbault or Fleury for next game. That's a tough choice because do you put a shaky goalie in or sit him down and lose all confidence in him...
BVD

Postby Pitbull » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:46 am

The Penguins might keep Fleury on the bench till they go back home to Pittsburgh to get the fans behind him. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Fleury in game 2. He could be a top goaltender in the league one day and he did quite well this season so I think the Penguins playoff hopes rest on him in net.

However, Crosby was almost shut down in game 1. With so many weapons on the Penguins team, the only problem is their playoff experience. Someone like Roberts can really get this team back on track though.

Still, I'm cheering for the Sens and think they'll win the series. They are just too tough and know all about the playoff game.

I must say that I thought Emery was sloppy, can't believe he won first star of the game.
Pitbull

Postby lil'Blue85 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:38 pm

Sofar, Fleury has done the exact opposite of Choking. He has had three amazing games. I dont blame him for either loss. The rest of the team needs to stop taking all of those needless/costly penalties.

Crosby seems wise beyond his years in his game play. He may not have playoff experience, but its not showing!

Sens will choke. Penguins advance. :wink:
Oh i`d rather be a Bomber than a ******* Roughrider!
lil'Blue85

Postby BlueBalz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:27 am

lil'Blue85 wrote:Crosby seems wise beyond his years in his game play. He may not have playoff experience, but its not showing!

He didn't look to good in losing three big faceoffs in the last minute though.
BlueBalz

Postby lil'Blue85 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:18 am

Yeah not so much... Stupid first goal though! If that hadnt have happened, then the game wouldve gone into OT and may have ended differently. I still have faith in the Penguins though. I think they can pull back into this!
lil'Blue85

Postby Pitbull » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:24 am

The Sens are going to win this series. They are just to strong overall to lose in the first round.

However, Ottawa needs to make their defence stronger against a team that will be hittiing non stop. Remember when Pittsburgh went all out in game 2? Ottawas defence wasn't good enough. Either Ottawa has learned their lesson or the Penguins haven't had that fire since game 2 which also could have went either way.

This series is close, other than game 1, this series could have went either way. I'm glad now that 2 Canadian teams are on the verge of getting to the second round.
Pitbull

Postby BVD » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:34 am

The Pens are just to young, aside from Gary Roberts and Mark Recchi the rest of the guys aren't just playing up to par. Looks like the SENS will prevail to the next round!!
BVD

Postby BlueBallz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:10 pm

The Sens experience, depth, and ablility to roll out 4 lines, should be enough to carry them past the Pens this round. The experience should be good though for young guys like Crosby, Staal, and Malkin.

The Sens will have to get some more solid play from their D, if they want a long playoff run though. Emery isn't the type of goalie that will lead his team to victories if the rest of the team is playing poor, like some other goalies have. He is solid however and his play gives his team a chance every night.

Fleury isn't as bad as some people are making him out to be. He's only 22 for pete's sake and has looked brutal in the past, mainly due to that fact of the poor teams playing in front of him until now. Depth behind Gonchar (who is more of an offensive minded D man) and Whitney is mostly to blame for him looking bad. This year will give him good experience and I still think that he will develop into a top tier goaltender.

Picking up Comrie was a great move for the Sens, as the C postion is so key come playoff time.

Picking up Roberts and Laraque were great moves for the Pens too, as experience during playoff time, and grit, is so valuable. But it is their lack of depth that will be their achilles heel.
Last edited by BlueBallz on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBallz

Postby lil'Blue85 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:30 pm

I still have an ounce of hope left for them.
lil'Blue85

Postby BVD » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Has Laraque even played? I didn't see him on the ice at all (if he was then I guess he was a non factor)
BVD

Postby BlueBallz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Naw I don't think Laraque played actually, and I don't think we'll see much of him now if at all. He'd be more of a liability on the ice against a talent-ridden team like that Sens.

Faint hope for the Pens huh? Who knows, stranger things have happened, and the Sens aren't really known for their playoff success yet, so who knows! It's just too bad they had to face the Sens in the first round.

BlueBallz

Postby JuranBoldenRules » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:27 am

Pittsburgh just isn't ready, Ottawa is the more playoff polished team. Next season, Pittsburgh will win their division and get to the conference final, 2009 they'll hoist the Cup.
JuranBoldenRules

Postby lil'Blue85 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Im lookin to it for this year. They can do it.
lil'Blue85

PreviousNext

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts