Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

And they MVP is?

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

NHL MVP for the 2006-2007 season

Poll ended at Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:06 pm

Martin Brodeur
5%
Sidney Crosby
58%
Roberto Luongo
37%
Joe Thornton
No votes

Total votes : 19

Postby coastal62 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:49 pm

BVD wrote:I'd go with Luongo, Crosby has an amazing supporting cast and Luongo is a one man show.

I don't get where some people are coming from when they say that Vancouver is this absolutely dreadful team that couldn't have done it without Luongo.

Granted, I watch a lot more Penguins hockey than I do Canucks hockey (I'm torn because I loved Luongo in Florida but I hate the Canucks), but what has this team lost, outside of Anson Carter and Bryan Allen, from the 2005-2006 team that had 92 points with Alex Auld in net? Are Anson Carter and Bryan Allen THAT much better than Bryan Smolinski and Kevin Bieksa that a mere 13 point turnaround (and that's assuming the Canucks close the season 4-0) is that much of a cause for a celebration?

Like I said, I don't see as much of the Canucks as most on this board, but without Luongo, they were three points behind the team the went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. That's one win and a shootout loss. How horrendous can they be?

If you do have valid points, I'd love to hear them. Like I said, Luongo is an AWESOME goaltender, one who is going to backstop Canada to the next three gold medals, but in my opinion, and I don't even have an official vote, I have to go with Crosby. Are the Penguins talented? Yes. So were the Edmonton Oilers when Gretzky ran away with all of those Hart trophies. So was San Jose last year when Thornton won it. Last I checked, being a great player on a good team shouldn't HURT your chances.

Practically speaking, a lot of things go against Luongo when it comes down to the voting. Eastern reporters rarely stay up late enough to watch pacific games (advatage Brodeur and Crosby), and the goaltender vote gets split between Brodeur and Luongo (advantage Crosby). Anyone who doesn't think a goaltender should win the Hart will vote Crosby, with the remainder of the votes getting split between the two super-goalies.

For the sake of the Luongo fans out there, I hope I'm wrong, because I think Luongo is going to get second in the voting for the Hart, and for the Vezina (he's slightly more valuable to Vancouver than Brodeur is, but Brodeur's numbers are slightly better than Luongo's). If Luongo ends up getting the Hart/Vezina sweep, I'll be more than happy for him, and he's definitely deserving. But I don't think it's his year... not yet, anyway.

The one thing I think we can all agree on is this: as heated as this debate may get, the names mentioned so far have been Crosby, Luongo, Brodeur, Thornton, and then even Heatley and Spezza. That's going to be a nice thing to see ALL of them don the red and white come 2012.
My girlfriend told me to kiss her where it stinks, so I took her to Mosaic Field.
coastal62

Previous

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts