Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Off season

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby BlueBallz » Sun May 12, 2013 11:27 am

Going into the off-season...are the Jets on the verge or do they need to change their philosophy?

IMO Ladd-Little-Wheeler has the potential to be one of the best lines in the league.

Sheifele is doing great in leading his team, can he take it to the next level?

Trouba...IMO I think this kid makes the team next year.

Do we trade big Buff? I don't think so...

Lowry? Man...I think this kid leapfrogs Sheifele in the depth charts and if that happens, we're not too bad.

Players like Brassard will give us depth...

What about Antropov? His salary makes me want to dump him but ...

anyways....thoughts?
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"


Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
User avatar
BlueBallz
 
Posts: 8039
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:41 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby iso_55 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Just win, baby! :wink:
User avatar
iso_55
 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 am
Location: Calgary

Postby BVD » Mon May 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Dump Antropov and dump Hainsey and you have 8 million saved right there to use on extending contracts for the young promising guys.

I'd trade Buff in a heartbeat... he's fat and definitely a guy I can see who will fall apart big time as he gets older and more out of shape.
User avatar
BVD
 
Posts: 12026
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby BlueBallz » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 am

BVD wrote:Dump Antropov and dump Hainsey and you have 8 million saved right there to use on extending contracts for the young promising guys.

I'd trade Buff in a heartbeat... he's fat and definitely a guy I can see who will fall apart big time as he gets older and more out of shape.


I'd be onboard with that!!

Hope we draft a forward with our first pick this year
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"


Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
User avatar
BlueBallz
 
Posts: 8039
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:41 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby Colin Unger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:52 am

Ed Tait has tweeted that the Jets are in the running for a very highly touted Finnish Goalie. I'd love to see Pavelec challenged. It would only make him stronger and if he can handle it then he's not gonna handle playoff pressure in the future so we might as well find out now.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/209685101.html
Ourbombers.com
User avatar
Colin Unger
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Re:

Postby tracker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:23 pm

BVD wrote:Dump Antropov and dump Hainsey and you have 8 million saved right there to use on extending contracts for the young promising guys.

I'd trade Buff in a heartbeat... he's fat and definitely a guy I can see who will fall apart big time as he gets older and more out of shape.


Buff makes me crazy. So much talent and so little commitment to being the best he can, and he is probably a coach-killer as well. He reminds me of a phrase from a sports writer somewhere who described a player as " a strip-tease artist. Shows you enough to get excited but not enough to satisfy you."
oderint dum metuant
User avatar
tracker
 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: at The Beach

Postby Colin Unger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 am

tracker wrote:
BVD wrote:Dump Antropov and dump Hainsey and you have 8 million saved right there to use on extending contracts for the young promising guys.

I'd trade Buff in a heartbeat... he's fat and definitely a guy I can see who will fall apart big time as he gets older and more out of shape.


Buff makes me crazy. So much talent and so little commitment to being the best he can, and he is probably a coach-killer as well. He reminds me of a phrase from a sports writer somewhere who described a player as " a strip-tease artist. Shows you enough to get excited but not enough to satisfy you."



Yeah I'm pretty sick of Buff too.. I still think the good outweighs the bad and he's really a weapon when he's on but he makes too many decisions that backfire especially near the end of a shift. People defend him by saying this is just the way he is but I think if he hired a personal trainer and dietician and worked hard he could be a lot better of a player and end up making more money. Not sure why he doesn't.. Soon we'll have enough depth that we don't need to put up with him anymore and he'll be gone. Bring on Trouba!
Ourbombers.com
User avatar
Colin Unger
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Postby EastRiver » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Colin Unger wrote:Ed Tait has tweeted that the Jets are in the running for a very highly touted Finnish Goalie. I'd love to see Pavelec challenged. It would only make him stronger and if he can handle it then he's not gonna handle playoff pressure in the future so we might as well find out now.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/209685101.html


Antti Raanta, the very highly touted Finnish Goalie, signed with Chicago.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672853&print=true
EastRiver
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Postby bobbyboucher » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:55 pm

EastRiver wrote:
Colin Unger wrote:Ed Tait has tweeted that the Jets are in the running for a very highly touted Finnish Goalie. I'd love to see Pavelec challenged. It would only make him stronger and if he can handle it then he's not gonna handle playoff pressure in the future so we might as well find out now.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/209685101.html


Antti Raanta, the very highly touted Finnish Goalie, signed with Chicago.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672853&print=true


*sigh* I guess we should get used to this. I love my city but Winnipeg will always have a tough time luring talent here when more "desired" destinations are in the mix.
Glenn still sucks
User avatar
bobbyboucher
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Postby EastRiver » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Jets Sign F Austen Brassard.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672727
EastRiver
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Postby tracker » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Colin Unger wrote:
tracker wrote:
BVD wrote:Dump Antropov and dump Hainsey and you have 8 million saved right there to use on extending contracts for the young promising guys.

I'd trade Buff in a heartbeat... he's fat and definitely a guy I can see who will fall apart big time as he gets older and more out of shape.


Buff makes me crazy. So much talent and so little commitment to being the best he can, and he is probably a coach-killer as well. He reminds me of a phrase from a sports writer somewhere who described a player as " a strip-tease artist. Shows you enough to get excited but not enough to satisfy you."



Yeah I'm pretty sick of Buff too.. I still think the good outweighs the bad and he's really a weapon when he's on but he makes too many decisions that backfire especially near the end of a shift. People defend him by saying this is just the way he is but I think if he hired a personal trainer and dietician and worked hard he could be a lot better of a player and end up making more money. Not sure why he doesn't.. Soon we'll have enough depth that we don't need to put up with him anymore and he'll be gone. Bring on Trouba!

We finished out of the payoffs with Buff, and we could probably finish out of the playoffs without him as well. Seriously, we need more second-line punch, but one more bad year and Buff's trade value will be way down. With more power up front, we would spend less time in our end, and take a lot of pressure off the defense. Enstrom's series of injuries is becoming a worry as well. He's great when in the lineup, but really missed when not.
oderint dum metuant
User avatar
tracker
 
Posts: 2877
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: at The Beach

Postby EastRiver » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:50 pm

EastRiver
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Postby bobbyboucher » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm

What do you guys think about the Jets trading for Ales Hemsky of the Oilers? The Oilers have stated publicly theyre looking to move him. He's had bad luck with injuries the last couple years but was almost a point a game player before that. Even better, he's a pass first RW that would fill a HUGE need on the second line with Kane. He's still in his prime at 29 and signed through 2014. He does make 5 million but reading an article by Craig Button he figures the Oilers would likely be willing to eat half his salary to move him. He also mentions Hemsky wouldnt fetch much more than a 3rd round pick. A second line of Jokinen/Kane/Hemsky looks mighty fine to me. I think its a great match. Thoughts?
Glenn still sucks
User avatar
bobbyboucher
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Postby BVD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 pm

After watching the game tonight... Bryan Bickell looks more like a player the Jets could use... a big body in front of the net with scoring touch....
User avatar
BVD
 
Posts: 12026
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Winnipeg

Postby EastRiver » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:33 pm

BVD wrote:After watching the game tonight... Bryan Bickell looks more like a player the Jets could use... a big body in front of the net with scoring touch....


Bickell will receive a massive contract from some team that is more desperate than us. Sort of like Ville Leino.
Last edited by EastRiver on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastRiver
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Next

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

cron
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 428 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests