Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

So what ails the Jets?

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby BlueBallz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 pm

They looked like they were starting to turn the corner but recently have been getting progressively worse...

Penalties are killing us but besides that, we can't seem to get anything going offensively.

The Florida game, we were up, and should've kept the lead...so what the heck?

I agree with the move to sit Wellwood in favor of Sheifele...

To me it seems like they've strayed from what made them successful which is Claude Noel's "defense first" philosophy and have gotten a little too confident and trying the run and gun strategy instead.

Injuries are a factor yes, but it can't be the only factor...

Thoughts?
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?"

Madness takes it's toll....please have exact change.
BlueBallz

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 pm

From what I can tell its same thing as last year... solid at home not so much on the road. Back to back nights on the road would probably result the same for any team if they lose a few more tho I'd start gripping the panic button
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby BlueBallz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Taynted_Fayth wrote:From what I can tell its same thing as last year... solid at home not so much on the road. Back to back nights on the road would probably result the same for any team if they lose a few more tho I'd start gripping the panic button

Yes but they did OK on the road earlier.

It's almost like they get shell shocked when they get down, zero confidence when the game is on the line

BlueBallz

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:48 pm

While I didn't actually watch the florida game I think it needs to taken into consideration this is the time that would normally be preseason so to expect them not to be fatigued having played the night before on the road (florida being 3rd straight road game) that's a pretty tall task for any team to have any zip. Thankfully its only game 7 so hopefully they got time to learn on the fly and learn from the shalackin. Bet every single jet is saying there's no place like home right now and might be what the doctor orders
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby Kylearan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:07 pm

The penalty kill is absolutely ruining them.

They need to stop playing big slow guys like Antropov on the penalty kill, and instead focus on installing speed throughout the units. They also need to stop the passive box they tend to play.

Back in the mid to late 80's, the Jets had one of the top penalty kill units year after year. Doug Smail and Ron Wilson were speedy, agile forwards, who pressured the point at every opportunity.

Opposing defencemen could not handle the extra pressure, often sending wayward passes down low leading to turnovers, or losing the puck at the line, creating 2 on 1's and breakaways the other way.

The penalty kill became a weapon that often turned the tide of momentum in the Jets' favor. Right now, the penalty kill is an anchor.

Slater, Burmistrov, and Wright should be constants on the penalty kill. All of them are quick and agile. I'd also install one of Kane or Wheeler on the second unit (they can alternate) because the Jets are lacking another speedy defensive forward.

If the Jets switch from the passive box, to a more aggressive penalty kill based on speed and pressure, I believe they'll turn everything around in short order.
<b><i>From the Great Big Book of Self-Deception...</i></b>
<b>Nate:</b> "...if it appears I hate or have a personal vendetta against Mr. Bauer, it couldn't be further from the truth."
Kylearan

Postby BlueBallz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Kylearan wrote:The penalty kill is absolutely ruining them.

They need to stop playing big slow guys like Antropov on the penalty kill, and instead focus on installing speed throughout the units. They also need to stop the passive box they tend to play.

Back in the mid to late 80's, the Jets had one of the top penalty kill units year after year. Doug Smail and Ron Wilson were speedy, agile forwards, who pressured the point at every opportunity.

Opposing defencemen could not handle the extra pressure, often sending wayward passes down low leading to turnovers, or losing the puck at the line, creating 2 on 1's and breakaways the other way.

The penalty kill became a weapon that often turned the tide of momentum in the Jets' favor. Right now, the penalty kill is an anchor.

Slater, Burmistrov, and Wright should be constants on the penalty kill. All of them are quick and agile. I'd also install one of Kane or Wheeler on the second unit (they can alternate) because the Jets are lacking another speedy defensive forward.

If the Jets switch from the passive box, to a more aggressive penalty kill based on speed and pressure, I believe they'll turn everything around in short order.

High risk, high reward?

A good positional player would do wonders...look at the Habs, Josh Gorges...best player in the NHL at blocking shots.

BlueBallz

Postby BVD » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:44 am

What ails the Jets.... lack of talent.... young team..... a coach that looks and sounds drowsy and not the right coach for this team. Need someone to light a fire under the teams butt to get them motivated to play.
BVD

Postby BlueBallz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:09 pm

BVD wrote:What ails the Jets.... lack of talent.... young team..... a coach that looks and sounds drowsy and not the right coach for this team. Need someone to light a fire under the teams butt to get them motivated to play.

Did I just hear you "Sutter"?

BlueBallz

Postby Steve Fanitage » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 pm

One of if not their biggest "name" players was released by the KHL during the strike. This is one of their best players. Seriously? Maybe some players in the NHL really aren't that great.

Oh, and in regards to hockey players, it wouldn't hurt to work out once in a while.
Steve Fanitage

Postby BlueBallz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 am

Steve Fanitage wrote:One of if not their biggest "name" players was released by the KHL during the strike. This is one of their best players. Seriously? Maybe some players in the NHL really aren't that great.

Oh, and in regards to hockey players, it wouldn't hurt to work out once in a while.

Someone should tell Kane that you can't always score from 20 ft out...like what the h@@@ is that anyway?

BlueBallz

Postby The Voice Of The Truth » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Playing as expected. Inconsistent players on an inconsistent team.

Tends to leave them on the outside looking in in the long run.
The Voice Of The Truth

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts