Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

True North in negotiations with Thrashers owners ... report

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby IC Khari » Mon May 16, 2011 1:42 pm

2015 is the year ... for something.
IC Khari

Postby Colin Unger » Mon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Just move a team here already!!!
Colin Unger
Site Admin

Postby grumpy old man » Tue May 17, 2011 7:11 am

No question this story has real legs.

To the resident naysayers, it will make my day, in three weeks or less, to say pfffffffffffft, I told ya so...

At that point you may begin projecting doom and gloom on their success or pick something else to be unnecessarily negative about.

/rant
grumpy old man

Postby BVD » Tue May 17, 2011 8:51 am

grumpy old man wrote:No question this story has real legs.

To the resident naysayers, it will make my day, in three weeks or less, to say pfffffffffffft, I told ya so...

At that point you may begin projecting doom and gloom on their success or pick something else to be unnecessarily negative about.

/rant

BVD

Postby grumpy old man » Tue May 17, 2011 9:04 am

That's your most impressive post ever on this site... It shows thought, humour... Something you've never displayed before. I hope that is a sign of things to come...
grumpy old man

Postby Hollywood2 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Stephen Brunt's G&M story says it's a done deal. He's a renowned writer and works at a paper owned by David Thompson.

In the same paper, James Myrtle says:
And the truth is, this is a league where there are at least a half dozen teams in as big a financial mess as Atlanta.

Atlanta is just the first to get out.
He also says in a separate story that:
Amid all of the talk of the NHL's return to Winnipeg this spring, there's also long been the suggestion that True North Sports & Entertainment would not bring back the Jets but instead "promote" their AHL franchise, the Manitoba Moose, to the big leagues.

Which would mean keeping the Moose logo, colours and uniforms.

The latest to report on this was
sportslogos.net, quoting "a reliable source" within True North.

“True North has spent considerable time and money promoting the Moose brand, switching away from that would be like essentially flushing money down the toilet,” the source said.
Hollywood2

Postby Colin Unger » Fri May 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Hollywood2 wrote:Stephen Brunt's G&M story says it's a done deal. He's a renowned writer and works at a paper owned by David Thompson.

In the same paper, James Myrtle says:
And the truth is, this is a league where there are at least a half dozen teams in as big a financial mess as Atlanta.

Atlanta is just the first to get out.
He also says in a separate story that:
Amid all of the talk of the NHL's return to Winnipeg this spring, there's also long been the suggestion that True North Sports & Entertainment would not bring back the Jets but instead "promote" their AHL franchise, the Manitoba Moose, to the big leagues.

Which would mean keeping the Moose logo, colours and uniforms.

The latest to report on this was
sportslogos.net, quoting "a reliable source" within True North.

“True North has spent considerable time and money promoting the Moose brand, switching away from that would be like essentially flushing money down the toilet,” the source said.

If they want people to pay nhl prices they should give us back our nhl team. Not an ahl team name.
Colin Unger
Site Admin

Postby BVD » Sat May 21, 2011 8:08 am

What Moose brand? Outside of some of the kids in town who in the world has any Moose gear?
BVD

Postby Hollywood2 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:03 am

The Moose brand has been successfully developed by True North and they have sold a lot of gear. I think that it would take about two seconds for it to be recognized as an NHL brand if that is the route they go.

Personally, I would have liked the Jets name if Phoenix came here. I think it would be weird to have Jets' records and history linked to two franchises. As a result, I am comfortable with Manitoba Moose (or Falcons or Victorias) for our new team.
Hollywood2

Postby BVD » Sun May 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Hollywood2 wrote:The Moose brand has been successfully developed by True North and they have sold a lot of gear. I think that it would take about two seconds for it to be recognized as an NHL brand if that is the route they go.

I'd like to see how much Moose gear sells compared to vintage Jets gear.

Going simply by what I see out in public I definitely see way more Jets stuff then the Moose.
BVD

Postby bomberblue » Thu May 26, 2011 12:26 pm

I see a fair amount of Moose gear out around town, especially hats and such, but Bombers and Jets/other NHL teams is much higher. Could be a different story if they do decide to keep the Moose name though, who knows.
bomberblue

Postby Do or Die » Fri May 27, 2011 10:12 am

Deciding factor will be "Manitoba" vs "Winnipeg"...
"You can see a lot...just by observing"
Yogi Berra
Do or Die

Postby grumpy old man » Fri May 27, 2011 10:47 am

There has been a tremendous amount of "noise" in Winnipeg about retaining the "Winnipeg Jets" handle. Chipman and his people seem to be very intelligent. I hope they see and recognize the real devotion to that Jets brand. Brand development is a tricky business. The Jets brand has huge recognition factor. IMHO, it seems foolish to try and create a new brand or a less appealing brand (Moose).
grumpy old man

Postby BVD » Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 am

grumpy old man wrote:There has been a tremendous amount of "noise" in Winnipeg about retaining the "Winnipeg Jets" handle. Chipman and his people seem to be very intelligent. I hope they see and recognize the real devotion to that Jets brand. Brand development is a tricky business. The Jets brand has huge recognition factor. IMHO, it seems foolish to try and create a new brand or a less appealing brand (Moose).

For once.... I agree!
BVD

Postby grumpy old man » Sun May 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Interesting interview with Mark Chipman.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip322243#clip322243

Who would you believe in? Chipman or the negatrons?
grumpy old man

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts