Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

2011 Worlds

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby Hollywood2 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Quarter-finals

Image Czech Republic 4
Image U.S.A. 0

[GAME STORY] ~ [GAME SHEET (pdf)]

I have not said anything about the world championship so far because the tournament really only begins now. The "Big Six" all qualified. However, the host Slovakians and Switzerland did not make the quarter-finals. Germany and Norway did. Good for Norway, who have not qualified for a while.

Jaromir Jagr had a hat-trick for the Czechs. The Penguins are apparently interested in him. He is 39 now.

Today, Germany will face Sweden. Tomorrow, Norway will play Finland (at 9 am) and then Canada will play Russia (at 1 pm). Canada placed first in their pool and Russia was fourth in their's. Ovechkin is in Russia's line-up. All games are on TSN.

Image Jagr!

LINKS:
IIHF.com
Team Canada Site
TSN Tournament Site
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Quarter-finals

Image Sweden 5
Image Germany 2

This was Wednesday's late game. The result was certainly no shock. Germany had a better-than-usual tournament. Sweden will play the Czech Republic in the semi-finals.

Image Celebration time for Tre Kronor.

Image Finland 4
Image Norway 1

Thursday's early game marked Norway's exit from their most successful World Championship tournament. They also made the quarter-finals in 2008 and lost 8-2 to Canada. The Finns will play the Canada-Russia winner in the semi-finals.

Image Celebration time for Finland, too.

IIHF NEWS:

The IIHF announced an alteration in the format of Division I and lower competitions. In recent years the format has been to have a Group A and Group B of evenly seeded strength. The winner of each group would move up, and the 6th and last-placed team would move down. Now the higher seeded teams will be in Group A and the lower seeded in Group B. There will be two teams promoted each from Division I A and one team from each other category. In the senior men's category, the new seedings and pool placements would be as follows:
Code: Select all
    * Division I Group A: Austria (17), Slovenia (18), Hungary (19), Great Britain (20), Japan (21), Ukraine (22).
    * Division I Group B: Korea (23), Poland (24), Netherlands (25), Lithuania (26), Romania (27), Australia (28).
    * Division II Group A: Spain (29), Estonia (30), Croatia (31), New Zealand (32), Serbia (33), Iceland (34).
    * Division II Group B: Belgium (35), China (36), Mexico (37), Bulgaria (38), Israel (39), South Africa (40).
    * Division III: DPR Korea (41), Ireland (42), Turkey (43), Luxembourg (44), Greece* (45), Mongolia* (46).
    * * Note: Bosnia & Herzegovina and Chinese Taipei applied to enter the Division III. The fulfillment of the minimum standards for participation will be reviewed until the IIHF Semi-Annual Congress, 22-24 September, in Istanbul, Turkey. The admission of additional teams could make a Division III Qualification tournament with the two last-ranked teams seeded in Division III (Greece, Mongolia) necessary.
It should be noted that Italy and Kazakhstan are being promoted from Division I to the top division for 2012.

LINKS:
IIHF.com
Team Canada Site
TSN Tournament Site
Hollywood2

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts