Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Naming a hypothetical NHL team in Winnipeg

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

If the NHL returned to Winnipeg, what would you like to see the team named?

Winnipeg Jets
81%
Manitoba Moose
8%
Insert Name Here...
11%

Total votes : 37

Postby dkehler » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:10 pm

BlitzKing wrote:How about we get an NHL team back first....

I can see why some people would think that, but all indications are that when the announcement of getting a team comes, the name and jerseys etc. will be announced at the same time. So the time is now to change minds.
David
dkehler

Postby duffblue76 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 am

Ok so after some further thinking. I believe if the Coyotes did come to Winnipeg, the best thing TNSE could do is pick a brand new name, logoing and jersey. From a marketing perspective you would have people buying the Jets brand, the Coyotes brand and the new team brand. This would give 3 streams for profit to the team. Selling the Moose or moving the team to another town would give them someeasy cash (if they sell) and if they move the team, a fourth brand to market and sell.

Interesting me thinks.
duffblue76

Postby BlitzKing » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:04 am

dkehler wrote:

I can see why some people would think that, but all indications are that when the announcement of getting a team comes, the name and jerseys etc. will be announced at the same time. So the time is now to change minds.

True....but does it really matter what they are called? I would choose Jets over anything else but if they decided to go in a different direction then so be it....Would they not get the same support?

And if rumours are true that Jerseys have already been designed then at this point there is already nothing that can be done....
BlitzKing

Postby dkehler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 am

BlitzKing wrote:
dkehler wrote:

True....but does it really matter what they are called? I would choose Jets over anything else but if they decided to go in a different direction then so be it....Would they not get the same support?

And if rumours are true that Jerseys have already been designed then at this point there is already nothing that can be done....

I think it does matter what they are called because of the brand loyalty and recognition that comes with the Winnipeg Jets name. Like it or not, there are people out there that will basically ignore a team if it is not called the Winnipeg Jets. Whether these people would have a significant effect on the bottom line is unknown, but they conceivably could. Why take that chance?

Anyways, a jersey design being already done certainly doesn't mean that it's too late. It's not like they are in mass production.
David
dkehler

Postby Jimmy Pop » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:27 pm

dkehler wrote:
BlitzKing wrote:
dkehler wrote:

I think it does matter what they are called because of the brand loyalty and recognition that comes with the Winnipeg Jets name. Like it or not, there are people out there that will basically ignore a team if it is not called the Winnipeg Jets. Whether these people would have a significant effect on the bottom line is unknown, but they conceivably could. Why take that chance?

Anyways, a jersey design being already done certainly doesn't mean that it's too late. It's not like they are in mass production.

That would be beyond foolish...

Those aren't fans at all.
Jimmy Pop

Postby dkehler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Jimmy Pop wrote:
dkehler wrote:
BlitzKing wrote:
dkehler wrote:

That would be beyond foolish...

Those aren't fans at all.

What motivates your customers is not "foolish". It is what it is. As I say, the impact of this potential loss of interest may or may not be significant, but it may. Brand loyalty and recognition does not happen overnight and is not by any means a trivial factor.

Yes, True North may very well "get away with" doing whatever they want because we all want an NHL team above all. That doesn't mean it's the best decision they could make though.

And before anyone makes an assumption, yes, I most certainly would be supporting the team no matter what it's called.
David
dkehler

Postby Taynted_Fayth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:46 pm

I wouldnt lose sleep if the jets name was reintroduced, however like the Minnesota North Stars, we should just remake a new name and start a new tradition. IMO the winnipeg Jets ceased to exist in 1996. The day i saw Phoenix honouring and raising winnipeg achievements was the day that team was no longer "mine" (or ours) there is no connection with the team we re-inherit other then shane doan who has publicly stated he doesnt wanna come back (dont blame him tho given the hassel of uprooting your family..ect).

Someone said brand name matters? Did minnesota lose a beat when they switched to the wild? granted they never got the "stars" back, im pretty sure the population just wanted a hcokey team that badly. I can see that being no different here in Winnipeg for how long we've gone without NHL calibre hockey. They could be called the Winnipeg Donkey Jockeys and ppl would still go because its the product not the name that sells tickets (not to mention the superstars coming into town to play us)

now as for name(s) I've often thought our name should reflect our city/province and given how bloody cold we get in winter and a historical past in playoff hockey often immitated yet never duplicated is the Winnipeg Whiteout(s). pretty much anything winter related like blizzard would work for me. i dont want the moose though, only because it started off as the minnesota moose so it'd be a 3rd generation hand me down name somehow upgrading from the ranks of AHL 2x to now NHL level
"There I go... One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
Taynted_Fayth

Postby Hollywood2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:47 pm

If the Coyotes come here then the name Jets should rise like a Phoenix and be re-born!

I would also like Manitoba Moose, since they have a great logo and the name has a lot of respect and fan support. Bringing back Falcons, Victorias, Warriors, Monarchs, or Maroons would also be fine.

I would not like a cutesy, trendy name that will look stupid in 10 years.
Hollywood2

Postby B-17 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:22 pm

It has to be the Jets. Every poll I've seen has Jets at 50% or better as the preference, with the other options (Falcons, Moose, Polar Bears etc) splitting up the other 50%. It's always been "Bring back the Jets", not "bring back an NHL team" - just not the same emotional attachment. Of course, it's not the same players after all this time. Same as the Bombers of today aren't the same as the 1990 Bombers. But they are still the Bombers.

And, finally, look at this from a PR perspective. There is a very loud, very vocal, very passionate "Jets" contingent. All other names, no matter how much they make sense, have no emotional attachment. Imagine, if you will, a public press conference being held at MTS centre, thousands of fans in attendance, awaiting the big unveiling of the new team name and logo. Hush falls over the crowd, fanfare, and the curtain is pulled off to review the new logo of "The Manitoba Falcons". Cue at least 1/4 to 1/2 of the crowd booing - for those fanatics, it's Jets or nothing. And they will boo. Even amidst the cheers of everyone else, you can bet that TSN will be showing the booing fans. PR disaster. Instant dissension and splitting the community. TV interviews with loudmouth fans who say "I wanted the Jets, I'm not buying tickets now".

Now, rewind. Same scenario. The curtain is pulled off for a brand new, updated logo for "Your Winnipeg Jets" screams the announcer. Loud, unified cheering, bedlam ensures, goes on for five minutes. PR heaven. TSN shows screaming, happy fans. Even those who are indifferent to the Jets name would still be willing to be behind this.

Sure, owners who pays for the team can choose any name they want. But it's the fan who pays for the tickets to keep the team afloat. And the majority want their Jets back. It will be the worst marketing disaster since "New Coke" if they don't come out as "The Winnipeg Jets." Guaranteed.

And about the whole "Manitoba" thing - don't be ridiculous. The team plays in Winnipeg. What, are we going to call them the "Manitoba-Northwestern Ontario-Saskatchewan-North Dakota Jets" just so the people in the geography feel attached? No, everyone will know this is Manitoba's team, they play in Winnipeg, and they are called the Jets. Naming them the Manitoba Jets won't bring anyone in from Brandon or Portage who wasn't prepared to come to a game in the first place. But around the world, the brand name "Winnipeg Jets" is still known. Winnipeg has been in popular culture in "The Simpsons" and "The Office". You name a sports franchise after the city, with the rare exception where it already works (e.g. Saskatchewan Roughriders).

You don't roll the dice on a name "you think" people will support, like the Polar Bears or Falcons or Manitoba Jets. You play the odds of knowing that at least 50% are passionate about "Winnipeg Jets" and you have an easier sell for the other 50%. You don't alienate a passionate Winnipeg Jets fan base who willl emotionally reject any other name.
Always my team, even at their worst.
B-17

Postby BVD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:42 am

ManitobaMike wrote:I know for a fact that a team will not be called the Jets. I got that from a TNSE staffer.

Verry interesting, this post was from a long time ago and I also recently heard the exact same thing from a TNSE staffer....
BVD

Postby grumpy old man » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:12 am

Good. Since you've been 100% wrong so far I expect the name then WILL be the Winnipeg Jets.
grumpy old man

Postby BVD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 pm

grumpy old man wrote:Good. Since you've been 100% wrong so far I expect the name then WILL be the Winnipeg Jets.

60% of the time I'm right every time!
BVD

Previous

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts