Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Naming a hypothetical NHL team in Winnipeg

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

If the NHL returned to Winnipeg, what would you like to see the team named?

Winnipeg Jets
81%
Manitoba Moose
8%
Insert Name Here...
11%

Total votes : 37

Postby J_Zilla » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:22 pm

ManitobaMike wrote:I know for a fact that a team will not be called the Jets. I got that from a TNSE staffer.

I know for a fact they will indeed be called the Jets. Mark Chipman himself mentioned it in passing, while we were golfing this summer.
J_Zilla

Postby ManitobaMike » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:25 am

Thats funny... I had lunch with him this summer and he told me that he wants nothing to do with Winnipeg Jets name.
ManitobaMike

Postby FrostyWinnipeg » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:00 pm

The Winnipeg Jets were the worst franchise in NHL history(I can back it up with scary stats), why anyone would use that name again...
FrostyWinnipeg

Postby BleedBlueBlood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:49 pm

How many years later and we still hear chants of Go Jets Go....Go Jets GO........has to be the Jets.
Sink or Swim Mr Mack?

Weekly CFL picks.....www.picksixtysports.com
BleedBlueBlood

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:59 pm

Don't be surprised if it is one of:

The Winnipeg/Manitoba Thrashers

The Winnipeg/Manitoba Victorias

The Winnipeg/Manitoba Falcons
Dreamcatcher

Postby BVD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 am

I think the name will be the Winnipeg Dreamers :D :D :D
BVD

Postby Charger27 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Winnipeg Jets
How can it be anything else?
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't... you're right." Henry Ford
Charger27

Postby duffblue76 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:52 am

The name of the team will remain the Manitoba Moose should the NHL move the Coyotes here.

As much as people would like the Jets name back, there is too much branding and corporate sponsorship that comes with the Moose name. Having all corporate sponsors change the branding and marketing to reflect the Jets name is just too costly.

Sorry fans but sponsors will win this battle.
duffblue76

Postby dkehler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:59 am

duffblue76 wrote:The name of the team will remain the Manitoba Moose should the NHL move the Coyotes here.

As much as people would like the Jets name back, there is too much branding and corporate sponsorship that comes with the Moose name. Having all corporate sponsors change the branding and marketing to reflect the Jets name is just too costly.

Sorry, but this post makes no sense whatsoever.

From what I have heard, a new logo and jersey has already been designed and it doesn't feature a moose.
David
dkehler

Postby Hollywood2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:47 pm

dkehler wrote:
duffblue76 wrote:The name of the team will remain the Manitoba Moose should the NHL move the Coyotes here.

Sorry, but this post makes no sense whatsoever.

From what I have heard, a new logo and jersey has already been designed and it doesn't feature a moose.

My personal preference is "Winnipeg Jets" if Phoenix moves back here and "Manitoba Moose" if it is anybody else. However, from what I gather they are going with a brand new name and look, all of which is subject to revision. There is also a load of misinformation. Uniforms, designs, etc. are done all the time and most do not come to fruition. One year the Jets had a blue and silver look they were contemplating. They made uniforms and had amateur players wear them on the ice to see how they would look.

Corporate sponsors would have to change their ads anyhow to say "NHL" so I don't see a new name and colour scheme being a problem.
Hollywood2

Postby JoePopRoolz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:12 am

If it was any other team (the Thrashers, etc.) coming here, I'd concede and say "Manitoba Whatevers". But if it is the Coyotes franchise coming here, it's a no-brainer:

That team, before they were taken away from us, WAS the Winnipeg Jets. And there is a history and legacy there, plus the fact that justice would be done and a massive wrong would be righted, should that particular franchise come back here to it's rightful home, with the restored original name.

Also, re: this "Manitoba" instead of "Winnipeg" thing: I was born and raised in Dauphin, Manitoba. The Winnipeg Jets were MY team since the first days of the WHA, and the favourite team of all my friends. It didn't matter one darn bit to us that they weren't called the Manitoba Jets. Nor did it matter to any of us that the Blue Bombers were not called the Manitoba Blue Bombers. We still cheered for the Blue. Although I may concede (begrudgingly) on calling a potential new franchise the "Manitoba Jets", I can't see the "Manitoba" making much of a difference to ticket sales, memorabilia sales or fan support.

And some say we should erase the stigma of the past (i.e. the Jets weren't that great a team) and start fresh. Well, again, (re: the Coyotes) it's the same franchise and devoted sports fans stick by their team, good or bad. A new name for the same franchise doesn't erase the bad memories of, say, the 1980-81 season :shock: It's still part of the team's history. The Phoenix franchise, to their credit, honoured the old Jets team records, and the retired numbers (True, they "un-retired" Bobby Hull's number for Brett Hull to wear it, but only with Bobby's blessing, and they re-retired the number when Brett retired. Hey, they even had a ceremony to retire Hawerchuk's #10, something we never got a chance to do). The Jets name means something to us. Assuming we get a franchise, they MUST be called nothing but the Jets.

But I urge anyone who supports the return of THE JETS (not the Moose, or Polar Bears or some of the other goofball suggestions I've heard :roll: ) to sign that petition and keep our history.

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/39649.html

(email this link to anyone you can think of, and tell the recipients to email this link to anyone they can think of)

I know I'm not saying anything new; just wanted to add my two bits worth.
"Vox Populi? VOX HUMBUG!"

- William Tecumseh Sherman
JoePopRoolz

Postby dkehler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:35 pm

^ Thanks for the support, Joe!
David
dkehler

Postby razorsedge » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:28 pm

Here I find you dkehler terrorizing another msg board concerning naming the team discussion, lol.
Support Our Troops!
razorsedge

Postby dkehler » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:30 pm

razorsedge wrote:Here I find you dkehler terrorizing another msg board concerning naming the team discussion, lol.

I'm everywhere!
David
dkehler

Postby BlitzKing » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:53 am

How about we get an NHL team back first....
BlitzKing

PreviousNext

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts