Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

2010-2011 Manitoba Bisons Hockey Thread

Discussion regarding the Winnipeg Jets. You can also visit WWW.OURJETS.COM for an entire forum dedicated to discussion of Winnipeg in the NHL

Moderators: Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby Hollywood2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:14 am

WEEKEND PREVIEW

Image Image

UBC THUNDERBIRDS (9-11-4, #15 in OHT34)
MANITOBA BISONS (11-7-4, #8 in OHT34)

Friday, February 11th, 7:00 p.m. CST @ Max Bell Arena
Saturday, February 12th, 7:00 p.m. CST @ Max Bell Arena

MANITOBA LINKS: [TEAM SITE] : [STATS] : [ROSTER] : [SCHEDULE/RESULTS]
UBC LINKS: [TEAM SITE] : [STATS] : [ROSTER] : [SCHEDULE/RESULTS]
CANADA WEST LINKS: [MEN'S HOCKEY SITE] : [LEAGUESTAT DAILY] : [STANDINGS]
CIS LINKS: [MEN'S HOCKEY SITE] : [SCHEDULE/RESULTS] : [STANDINGS]

The Saturday game is on radio at 101.5 and UMFM.com and there is always the Leaguestat Live Updates. There is a preview at GoBisons.ca. I'll be at Mike Keane Night on Saturday, so a radio that could pick up 101.5 at a Moose game would sure be nice.

There is no UBC update as I post so I am not certain as to their injury situation. They were in desperate shape last weekend when they hosted the Banjo-Mutts. Although they were swept, they flooded the Sask net with shots which implies that they had the potential to pull an upset. The question now is their frame of mind. They are virtually eliminated from playoff contention, and a loss on Friday would put a nail in their coffin, to be hammered in by a fat lady getting ready to sing an opera. Manitoba sits 4th with 26 points and UBC is 6th with 22, and only have 4 games remaining.

These two locked horns in British California back in November, and UBC swept the series with both games decided in extra time. The first game was 3-2 in a SO and the second was 4-3 in OT. Until last week's sweep at the hands of Calgary, that was Manitoba's only sweep against. And, you will note, it was one where they nevertheless acquired 2 points.

So this series will be a chance for the Bisons to show what they are made of. Their only other home series this semester was against Lethbridge, and they swept that one convincingly. Will they be down after their first 0 point weekend of the year?

The Bisons saw the return of forward Ian Duval last weekend. From the summaries and recaps, I could not tell how he was used. I will be looking for that on Friday night. Also, d-man Myles Rumsey was MIA last weekend. I'll be checking to see if he's back, also.

Evan Daum previews this series, and the Lethbridge-Regina one, at South Campus Sports.

ELSEWHERE:
    Image Image There are previews at U of S Site and the C.W. Site. There is a video webcast being provided by the U of S, and they usually do a pretty good job. Sask has pulled within 2 points of the Evil Monkeys. The Banjo-Cats went to Saudi Alberta last weekend and were swept. They pushed the Primates on Friday but on Saturday were squashed. Sask has been on a hot-streak, but I have some questions about their performance against UBC. They caught UBC at a low point and yet lost every stat except the one on the scoreboard. They have won 8 of their last 9, and 5 straight since they lost to the Bisons. Since the CW has operated on the theory that what goes up, must come down I have a hunch that the Evil Monkeys may just sweep the series. The series is also the subject of commentary by Evan Daum at South Campus Sports. He's impressed with Sask's 14 goals against since Christmas. I look at giving up 42 shots in a game to UBC and scratch my head. The Star-Phoenix story should be read if you like reading coaches' quotes.

Image Image The series is previewed at the U of L Site and at the U of R Site. The series will close out the Cougars' home schedule so they will likely have some incentive to close out on a positive note. That's not what the Horny Ones want to hear. They are sitting 5th with 22 points and need to rack up some points. They close with 3 games against Calgary and two against Sask. So they have a chance to make up some ground all by themselves.
OTHER NEWS:
    Image Image
    There were a whole lotta mid-week games out east this week. Here are the scores:

Feb. 8
    Moncton 4 UPEI 5 OT
    Acadia 4 Dalhousie 5

Feb. 9
    St. Thomas 1 UNB 3
    Concordia 2 UQTR 3

Feb. 10
    Ryerson 2 RMC 6
    UOIT 2 Laurier 3

This weekend will mark the end of regular season play in both conferences. 6 of the 8 teams in the AUS will qualify for playoffs. The quarter-finals and semi-finals are best-of-3 and the final is best-of-five, so they need four weekends. In the OUA, 16 of 19 teams qualify (ugh!) so they have four rounds of playoffs. So their first two weeks of playoffs will correspond with the last 2 weeks of the CW regular season.

The CIS Blog has stories on the AUS, OUA West, and OUA East.
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:56 pm

February 11, 2011

TWEETY-BIRDS PICK UP MAJOR VICTORY

Image Image
UBC THUNDERBIRDS 5
MANITOBA BISONS 2

|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [CIS BOXSCORE]
|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF M STORY] ~ [UBC STORY]

This was a tough loss but don't let the scoreline deceive you. The shots were even and the Bisons, in general, carried the play. However, their recent goal-scoring drought stems from an inability in cash in on the chances they have been generating. This game could have been over early wityh the chances the Bisons generated. UBC was satisfied to pounce on turnovers and counter-attack, and wait for a PP. It worked. Two goals came when Bison d-men made a play to keep the puck in the UBC zone while the forwards were in deep and UBC was scrambling under pressure. However, UBC was able to knock the puck out and break out quickly.

Also, UBC was at full health with 6 d-men dressed and 4 full lines.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 1
    SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2

(in overtime)
    |> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF A SUMMARY & STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY]

This win for the Banjo-Mutts allows them to pull within a point of the Evil Monkeys. Look for another close one Saturday night.

Image Image
    LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4
    REGINA COUGARS 5

(in shoot-out)
    |> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF R STORY] ~ [U OF L STORY]

The Horny Ones thought they had this one when they broke a 3-3 tie with a last-minute goal. But they took a penalty and the Banjo-Cats tied it with 10 seconds left, then won the shoot-out.

Image Image

The CIS schedule and the CIS standings are all updated. The CIS Friday Recap is not up as I post but may be as you read. Here's what happened out east, including the early start games from Thursday:

Feb. 10
    Ryerson 2 RMC 6
    UOIT 2 Laurier 3

Feb. 11
    UNB 4 Acadia 0
    StFX 5 Moncton 1
    Saint Mary's 4 St. Thomas 1
    UPEI 2 Dalhousie 5
    UQTR 4 Carleton 1
    Ottawa 0 McGill 7
    Guelph 7 York 8 2OT
    W. Ontario 4 Brock 6
    Nipissing 4 Toronto 3 OT
    Lakehead 3 Waterloo 4 OT
    Ryerson 2 Queen's 3 2OT

Way to go RMC!!! That's win #5. Lakehead continues a gruesome season, Nipissing eaks out another win over a lesser-light, and Carleton came back to Earth. With Universiade players back, McGill was blazing but the Urban Cowboys were not. And just when Guelph started getting some national attention, look where they go.

Dal's win and Moncton's loss eliminates the French Eagles and allows Dal to back into the playoffs over a below-strength UPEI side.

The Canada West Women's Site has a full Friday night report. Here's the scores:
    Manitoba 4 UBC 2
    Alberta 3 Sask 2
    Regina 5 Lethbridge 4
    Bye: Calgary

The Bison Broads are now one point behind the Wilmas with a game in hand in the fight for 2nd. They look headed for a first round match-up.
NEXT UP:
    Feb. 11-12
    UBC at Manitoba
    Alberta at Sask.
    Lethbridge at Regina

Feb 16
    Calgary at Lethbridge (make-up of postponed game)

Feb 18-19
    Manitoba at Alberta
    Sask at Lethbridge
    Regina at Calgary
    Bye: UBC
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:19 am

February 12, 2011

BISONS SALVAGE SPLIT

Image Image
UBC THUNDERBIRDS 3
MANITOBA BISONS 4

(in overtime)
|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF M STORY] ~ [UBC STORY]

The Bisons must have been feeling the heat in this game and responded with a clutch overtime victory. The Bisons seem to be doing things right, but for some reason cannot score on their chances. I see that they outshot UBC 45-29. Although the teams traded goals in each period, there was a real ebb and flow on the shot clock. Manitoba held the edge in the 1st, UBC in the 2nd, and then Manitoba bombarded UBC by a margin of 23-10 in the 3rd period and 5-0 in 2:27 of OT.

I was at the Moose game (Mike Keane Night) on Saturday, but the Friday line-ups looked like this:

MANITOBA

Goal:
Christie (Deckert)

Defence:
Erb - D Crowley
Mealy - Lockerby
Schappert - Tully

Forwards:
Howarth - Beller - Macaulay
Dittmer - Walker - Hellyer
Duval - Cyr - Dudar
T Crowley - Cowan - Waker

UBC

Goal:
White ( Rodwell)

Defence:
McGurk - Schmidt
Lineker - Gordichuk
Pepe - Kakoske

Forwards:
Hamilton - Ruel - Kimber
Desloges - McCrae - Wasden
Inglis - Pajak - Schneider
Grassi - Lamb - Campos

On Saturday it appears that the Bisons subbed in Pawluk for Crowley up front and shuffled the defence pairings so that Crowley and Mealy were together and Schappert and Erb were together.

The Bisons' scoring problems are clearly not due to a lack of chances. I suppose one could say that concerns only arise when scoring chances are not being generated. But here's the numbers following their sweep of Lethbridge:
Jan 28th: 0 goals on 34 shots
Jan 29th: 1 goal on 33 shots (other than shoot-out)
Feb 4th: 2 goals on 25 shots
Feb 5th: 2 goals on 28 shots
Feb 11th: 2 goals on 32 shots
Feb 12th: 4 goals on 45 shots

I guess Saturday night can be seen as a bit of a breakthrough. In the 5 prior games they had 7 goals on 152 shots, or a .954 save percentage for opposing goaltenders.

We'll have to see if the Bisons can cash their chances in their upcoming games against the Evil Monkeys and Banjo-Mutts. One thing you can say for the Bisons is that they have been a consistent team this year. Their sweep in Calgary last weekend was their only whitewash weekend of the year. They have two 4-point weekends, two 3-point weekends, and seven 2-point weekends. Every point will be of great value.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4
    SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 0

|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF A SUMMARY & STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY]

I opined in my weekend preview that the Evil Monkeys might just sweep the series, which was counter to most opinions. I based it on the "what-goes-up-must-come-down theory" in the CW this year. It appears to have happened. I also see that Sask switched goaltenders. It looks like Ryan Holfeld let in 3 of 14 shots before being yanked. He was in large measure responsible for Sask's hot streak, where they won games in which they were outshot. Alberta is not the offesnive juggernaut of years past. The Bisons visit them next weekend.

Image Image
    LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4
    REGINA COUGARS 1

|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF R STORY] ~ [U OF L STORY]

Just as the Evil Monkeys reversed their fortunes in Banjoland, so too did the Horny Ones. I expected the Puddy-Tats to come up with another home win, and they got it Friday night. The rest of the conference can be grateful for that small mercy. So Lethbridge, outscored 82-94 on the season, remains very much alive in the playoff race with no fewer than 3 head-to-head games against Calgary.

Image Image

The CIS schedule and the CIS standings are surprisingly NOT updated as I post. Hopefully, they will be when you read. So I went to the AUS and OUA schedule/results pages for scores. The CIS Saturday Recap is also not up as I post, but neither is the CIS Friday Recap. I wish they would post their recaps on a dependable basis. Here's what happened out east:

Feb. 12
    Saint Mary's 4 Moncton 1
    StFX 6 St. Thomas 3
    UPEI 5 Acadia 1
    UNB 5 Dalhousie 2
    Carleton 5 Concordia 2
    Ottawa 2 UQTR 3
    Toronto 2 Queen's 4
    Guelph 3 W. Ontario 2 SO
    Lakehead 4 Waterloo 2
    Windsor 4 Laurier 3 OT

The AUS regular season is now complete, and Sunday's Concordia-McGill match-up will conclude the OUA's regular season. The AUS standings are now official and the OUA standings are almost there. Here are the matchups:

AUS quarter-finals:
    St. Francis-Xavier v Dalhousie
    Acadia v UPEI
    byes: New Brunswick and Saint Mary's

OUA East quarter-finals:
    McGill v Ottawa
    UQTR v Concordia or Toronto*
    Carleton v Toronto or Concordia*
    Nipissing v Queen's
    * Concordia is one point behind Toronto pending their game v McGill

OUA West quarter-finals:
    Western Ontario v Windsor
    Laurier v UOIT
    Lakehead v Waterloo
    Guelph v Brock

The Canada West Women's Site has a full Saturday night report. Here's the scores:
    Manitoba 4 UBC 2
    Sask 1 Alberta 0
    Regina 3 Lethbridge 2

The Bison Broads now jump into 2nd place and are within 2 points of the Fat Pandas. The top 4 pulled away from the pack, but the playoff match-ups are far from settled. With each side having 4 games left, Alberta has 37 points, Manitoba 35, Calgary 34, and Sask 31. It is unlikely that Sask could take 1st or Alberta 4th, but otherwise the teams could finish in any order.
NEXT UP:
    Feb 16
    Calgary at Lethbridge (make-up of postponed game)

Feb 18-19
    Manitoba at Alberta
    Sask at Lethbridge
    Regina at Calgary

Feb 25-26
    Sask at Manitoba
    Alberta at UBC
    Lethbridge at Calgary
    Bye: Regina
    (end of regular season)
Code: Select all
Current standings:
Alberta     35
Sask.       32
Calgary     28 
Manitoba    28
Lethbridge  25
UBC         25
Regina      18 
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 am

WEEKEND PREVIEW

Image Image

MANITOBA BISONS (12-8-4, #7 in OHT34)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (16-5-3, #2 in OHT34)

Friday, February 18th, 8:30 p.m. CST @ Edmonton [ON-LINE WEBCAST]
Saturday, February 19th, 8:30 p.m. CST @ Edmonton [ON-LINE WEBCAST]

ALBERTA LINKS: [TEAM SITE] : [STATS] : [ROSTER] : [SCHEDULE/RESULTS]

Off the ice, there was a lot of interest happening to the Bisons this week. First, Blair Macaulay was named the CW's WHL grad of the month for January. Second, Greg Beller was named the U of M's male athlete of the week. Finally, Steve Christie signed an ATO to be backup goaltender for the Toronto Marlies for two games against the Manitoba Moose this week. (He saw no game action.)

The Bisons slightly outplayed the Evil Monkeys when these teams played at the Max Bell at the end of November. The Bisons won on Friday 4-2 and then on Saturday Alberta won 3-2.

The Bisons' results have been disappointing since they escaped Regina with a split. They went into that weekend with a chance to catch Alberta for first, but instead are realistically going for 3rd or 4th. The CW Standings see the Bisons sitting in 4th place, 2 point behind Calgary and 3 points ahead of Lethbridge and UBC.

Weekend previews are not yet up as I post. However, last week is wrapped up at the CIS Blog.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    CALGARY DINOS 4
    LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 2

|> [C.W. RECAP] ~ [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF L STORY] ~ [U OF L PREVIEW]

The Horny Ones are a wild and crazy bunch. They have had some wild games but seem to have their best success when they are outshot and win with a rope-a-dope technique and a hot goaltender. Well, Wednesday night they came out like gangbusters in their must-win make-up game against Calgary. In the first period, they outshot Calgary 17-7 yet trailed 2-1. In the end, a last-minute goal by Lethrbidge made the scoreline look closer than it really was. The Dinos made good use of the PP, going 2-for-5.
BACK TO PREVIEWS:
    Image Image Since Calgary was playing a make-up game Wednesday night, the on-line sources are not yet looking ahead to their series with Regina. In my opinion, Regina will come out and play one decent game and one stinker. Any points they can deny Calgary would be greatly appreciated by the rest of the conference.

Image Image Lethbridge is somewhat surprisingly still alive but must be considered to be huge underdogs as they head into Banjoland. They are only 3 points behind the Bisons, and the Huskies are only 4 points ahead of the Bisons. The Bisons hold the tie-breaker over both teams, and also have two games left with Sask. When these teams last met, Lethbridge won the first game 4-2 and Sask took the second 10-1. That perfectly illustrates just how unpredictable are the Horny Ones.
EASTERN PLAYOFFS:
    Image In the AUS, UNB and Saint Mary's get byes through the quarter-finals. St FX plays Dalhousie Thursday, Saturday, and Monday if necessary. Meanwhile, Acadia plays UPEI on Friday, Saturday, and Tuesday if necessary. The CIS Blog also has another AUS Weekly Update..

Image The OUA started their playoffs Wednesday night, and here are the scores:

OUA East
    Ottawa 1 McGill 2
    Concordia 2 UQTR 5
    Carleton 1 Toronto 2
    Nipissing 7 Queen's 0

OUA West
    Lakehead 0 Waterloo 5

The other three series begin Thursday, with Windsor at Western Ontario, UOIT at Laurier, and Brock at Guelph.

The CIS Blog has a Playoff Preview for the OUA West
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:14 pm

SUPPLEMENTARY WEEKEND PREVIEW

Image The weekend in Canada West is previewed at both the C.W. Site and at South Campus Sports. I'd recommend SCS first.

Image The CIS site has released their latest travesty of a Top Ten. Three teams from the OUA East? Ya, right. They also have the Weekend Broadcast Schedule for on-line viewing and listening.

Image The U of C has a Series Preview of their battle with Regina. They have had to switch from their usual Father David Bauer Arena to their Max Bell Arena. Hmmm. Maybe not such a home ice advantage. Also odd that FDB had a big Winnipeg connection through the Nats back in the day and now they go to another Winnipeg-sounding arena. Hmmm.

Image The U of L site has also done a Series Preview of their series with the Northern Hillbillies. They bring up that Sask has the best d-record, and Lethbridge the worst, in this clash of styles.

Image The U of A site has now got their Weekend Preview of the Bisons-Monkeys series, which is also at the Boxscore News. They point out that each of the last 5 series between these teams have been split. Don't forget, if you are at home the game is on SSN.

Image The Bison Broads host Hayley Wickenheiser and the Wilmas in the playoffs this weekend. The U of M Site has a preview. Games go Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (if necessary) all at the Max Bell Arena at 7:00 p.m. Saturday's game is also on 101.5 UMFM,com. The women's league plays 24 instead of 28 games and start their playoffs with the easterners.

Image The AUS playoffs have started and you can check the CIS Thursday Recap. St. FX beat Dalhousie 4-0 in game 1. Acadia v UPEI goes Friday night.

Image The CIS Wednesday Recap has now been posted for the OUA'S opening night match-ups. The other 3 series started Thursday and here are the scores:

OUA West
UOIT 2 Laurier 1 OT
Windsor 1 W. Ontario 4
Brock 2 Guelph 3

Laurier's opening night loss would be a mild surprise.

For all conferences, check the CIS Playoff Schedule and Results Page for updates, including links to boxscores etc.
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 am

February 18, 2011

HERD EDGED OUT IN SHOOT-OUT

Image Image
MANITOBA BISONS 3
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

(in shoot-out)
|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF A SUMMARY & STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY]

I got home from the Moose game just in time to see the shoot-out. The Bisons sure could have used the extra point. The 1st period seemed typical of recent Bison games. They outshot the Evil Monkeys 16-6 yet led only 1-0. Jeremy Schappert scored their goal on a PP. The Monkeys then took a 3-1 lead before 3rd period goals by Jered Walker and Mike Hellyer tied it up.

The results of the evening make a top two finish for the Bisons unlikely. Their magic number for a playoff berth over the Horny Ones is 4. Alberta has almost clinched first.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    REGINA COUGARS 0
    CALGARY DINOS 2

|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF C STORY]

The Dinos had a battle but Regina had a real lack of offence, with only 19 shots and 4 in the 3rd period. I suspect Regina may just surrender meekly on Saturday as their season ends.

Image Image
    SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 3
    LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 5

|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF L STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY]

Remember my what-goes-up-must-come-down theory? Well, the Banjo-mutts may have had their day. They seem to be showing some signs of weakness as they lose a big game to the Horny Ones. The last goal was into an empty net. Still, Lethbridge showed they can score on Sask.

There are many scenarios at play in the CW. While it looks like Alberta-Manitoba and Sask-Calgary will be the match-ups, if Manitoba and Lethbridge win out they will finish 2nd and 3rd and meet at the Max Bell in a playoff series.

Image The CIS Playoff Schedule and Results are updated but there is as yet no CIS Friday Recap.

OUA East
    McGill 10 Ottawa 5 (win series 2-0)
    Toronto 3 Carleton 7 (series tied 1-1)
    UQTR-Concordia did not play (UQTR leads 1-0)
    Queen's 3 Nipissing 6 (win series 2-0)

OUA West
    W. Ontario 4 Windsor 2 (win series 2-0)
    Laurier 2 UOIT 1 OT (series tied 1-1)
    Waterloo 3 Lakehead 0 (win series 2-0)
    Guelph 3 Brock 4 (series tied 1-1)

St. FX - Dalhousie did not play (SFX leads series 1-0)
    UPEI 0 Acadia 1 (lead series 1-0)

The Canada West Women's Site has a full Friday night report. Here's the scores:
    Manitoba 3 Calgary 2 (OT) (lead series 1-0)
    Alberta 3 Sask 0 (lead series 1-0)

The Bison Broads win! SUMMARY and STORY
NEXT UP:
    Feb 19
    Manitoba at Alberta
    Sask at Lethbridge
    Regina at Calgary

Feb 25-26
    Sask at Manitoba
    Lethbridge at Calgary
    Alberta at UBC
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:32 am

February 19, 2011

ANOTHER OTL FOR THE HERD

Image Image
MANITOBA BISONS 3
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

(in overtime)
|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF A SUMMARY & STORY] ~ [U OF M SITE - STORY TO FOLLOW]

The Bisons fought hard but once again came up just short. Still, it was another 2-point weekend. And, it was webcast on SSN, which was nice. To put things into perspective, here are the standings with only 2 games left:
Code: Select all
TEAM         PTS (status)
ALBERTA       39 (clinched 1st)
CALGARY       34 (clinched 2nd or 3rd)
SASKATCHEWAN  32 (could be 2nd to 5th)
MANITOBA      30 (could be 3rd to 5th)
LETHBRIDGE    29 (could be 3rd to 5th)
UBC           25 (eliminated)
REGINA        18 (eliminated)
Of note, the Bisons hold the tie-breaker over both Sask and Lethbridge but not against Calgary.

The bad news came early in this one as Bison captain Mike Hellyer took the pre-game skate but was unable to play. The injury bug has hit the team once again and they had no subs available.

Nevertheless, the Bisons played a strong physical game. The only glaring problem in the game was that the surrendered a great number of short-handed opportunities to the Primates. The Bisons gave up a short-handed goal and Steve Christie made 3 stops on 2-on-1s in the 1st period alone. It was a wild period. The shots were not particularly abundant but they arose from excellent scoring chances. Therefore it was 2-2 with Bison goals coming from Tyler Dittmer and Greg Beller. Ben Lindemulder and Ian Barteaux scored for the Evil Monkeys.

Things calmed down in the 2nd period, yet the Evil Monkeys scored yet another shorthanded goal (by Shawn Ringrose) to take a 3-2 lead into the 3rd. Oddly, they went 0-for-6 on the PP on the night without generating much in the way of good scoring chances.

The Bisons had the only goal of the 3rd when Jordan Cyr cashed in on a turnover when Alberta was monkeying around in their own end. That forced OT and assured the Bisons of a valuable point, and first place for Saudi Alberta.

However, with time running out in OT a crazy bounce from the right wing corner set up the winning goal for Colin Joe of the hosts.

BTW, the Bisons are now 3-6 in extra time this season. The Bisons close at home against Sask whilst Alberta visits British California.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    REGINA COUGARS 1
    CALGARY DINOS 3

|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF R SITE - STORY TO FOLLOW]

Regina put up a good fight and clearly were able to at least Calgary. The shots were only 22-21, in Regina's favour. The weekend results may not strike fear into the Dinos' opponents. But a 4 point weekend was a must and assures them a playoff berth, and in fact a top 3 placing. That is 5 straight wins. They do not hold the tie-breaker over Sask so need at least 3 points against Lethbridge to guarantee themselves 2nd place.

Image Image
    SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
    LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4

|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF L STORY] ~ [U OF S SITE - STORY TO FOLLOW]

The script did not change for the Horny Ones. A tight game which was iced on an empty-net goal. Not many expected them to sweep the Hillbillies, but there you go. Just like that, they have closed to within one point of the Bisons. Even though they have now been outscored 103-93 on the season. The big question for them is: Can they win on the road in Calgary next weekend? They are 3-7-2 on the road so far this year.

Image The CIS Playoff Schedule and Results are updated but there is as yet no CIS Saturday Recap, though the CIS Friday Recap was up by Saturday afternoon so maybe check the link when you read.

OUA East
    McGill already beat Ottawa 2-0
    UQTR 3 Concordia 5 (series tied 1-1)
    Toronto 0 Carleton 4 (Carleton wins series 2-1)
    Nipissing already beat Queen's 2-0

* Concordia @ UQTR on Sunday in game 3. If Concordia beats UQTR then they would play McGill and Carleton would play Nipissing. If UQTR beats Concordia then they would play Carleton and McGill would play Nipissing.

OUA West
    W. Ontario already beat Windsor 2-0
    Laurier - UOIT did not play (series tied 1-1)
    Waterloo already beat Lakehead 2-0
    Guelph - Brock did not play (series tied 1-1)

* On Sunday it is UOIT @ Laurier and Brock @ Guelph. If UOIT wins then they would play the Urban Cowboys and Waterlo0o would play the Brock/Guelph winner. If Laurier wins then they would play the Brock/Guelph winner and the Urban Cowboys would play Waterloo.

St. FX 3 Dalhousie 2 (SFX wins series 2-0)
    Acadia 1 UPEI 0 (Acadia wins series 2-0)

* New Brunswick will play Acadia and St. FX will play Saint Mary's in the AUS semi-finals.

The Canada West Women's Site has a full Saturday night report. Here's the scores:
    Manitoba 3 Calgary 2 (win series 2-0) SUMMARY and STORY
    Alberta 1 Sask 0 (win series 2-0)

The Bison Broads have slain Hayley Wickenheiser and the rest of the Wilmas! After the jawing back-and-forth this will have to rate as a nice one for them. So, once again, it is off to Edmontown to face the Fat Pandas for the bazillionth season in a row for the conference title.
NEXT UP:
    Feb 25-26
    Sask at Manitoba
    Lethbridge at Calgary
    Alberta at UBC
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:39 am

WEEKEND PREVIEW

Image Image

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (16-10-0, #6 in OHT34)
MANITOBA BISONS (12-8-6, #7 in OHT34)
Friday, February 25th, 7:00 p.m. CST @ Max Bell Arena
Saturday, February 26th, 7:00 p.m. CST @ Max Bell Arena : [101.5 UMFM.com]

SASKATCHEWAN LINKS: [TEAM SITE] : [STATS] : [ROSTER] : [SCHEDULE/RESULTS]

This series marks the end of the regular season and may well end the season for one of the teams. A look at the CW Standings illustrates the import of this series. In a nutshell, the Bisons cannot catch Alberta or Calgary. They trail Sask by 2 points and lead Lethbridge by 1 point. Two of those three teams will qualify for the playoffs.

The Bisons hold the tie-breaker over both. The Bisons have a 3-1 edge over the Horny Ones (6-2 on points) and are 2-1-1 over the Banjo-Mutts (5-4 on points). Also, all four meetings with Sask have been in Hillbilly country. Back in October the Bisons won 2-0 before Sask won the rematch 4-3 in OT. Then in January the Bisons also won the opener, 5-3, before Sask leveled the series with a 5-2 win of their own.

The Bisons would finish ahead of Sask if they beat them twice, in regulation or overtime.

The Bisons would finish ahead of Lethbridge if they get 4 points, or Lethbridge loses 4 points, or any combination thereof which adds to 4 points.

Lethbridge holds the tie-breaker over Sask so they would finish ahead of them if they can gain 3 points.

OUT OF TOWN:
    Image Image The C.W. Site, U of C Site, and the U of L Site all serve up previews. Calgary is 4-0-0 against Lethbridge, with the first two wins having come in OT. Lethbridge cannot catch Calgary. Calgary can wrap up 2nd over Sask if they get 3 points, Sask loses 3 points, or any combo of the two.

Image Image The Evil Monkeys will finish 1st and UBC will finish 6th. So this is play-out-the-string time. UBC did better than expected but a decimated D killed their chances of knocking off Sask a couple weeks ago and that was basically it for them. The Primates are vulnerable, no matter who they host in next week's playoffs.
EASTERN PLAYOFFS:

AUS Semi-Finals (best-of-five)

Image Image
    UNB Varsity Reds v Acadia Axemen
    Game 1: Feb 25
    Game 2: Feb 26
    Game 3: March 3
    Game 4: March 4
    Game 5: March 8

Image Image
    Saint Mary's Huskies v St. Francis-Xavier X-men
    Game 1: Feb 25
    Game 2: Feb 27
    Game 3: March 1
    Game 4: March 6

The AUS semis are previewed at the CIS Blog.

OUA East Semi-Finals (best-of-three)

Image Image
    McGill Redmen v Nipissing Lakers
    Game 1: Feb 23: McGill 4 Nipissing 1
    Game 3: Feb 27

Image Image
    UQTR Patriotes v Carleton Ravens
    Game 1: Feb 23: Carleton 2 UQTR 4
    Game 2: Feb 25

Both games are covered in the CIS Wednesday round-up.

OUA West Semi-Finals (best-of-three)

Image Image
    Western Ontario Mustangs v Waterloo Warriors
    Game 1: Feb 24: Waterloo 2 W. Ontario 4

Image Image
    Laurier Golden Hawks v Guelph Gryphons
    Game 1: Feb 24: Guelph 3 Laurier 0

Both games are covered in the CIS Thursday round-up.
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 am

February 25, 2011

BISONS SUFFER UGLY LOSS

Image Image
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 6
MANITOBA BISONS 3

|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF M STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY]
|> [STAR-PHOENIX]

This was an ugly game for the Bisons. Not that they were completely and hopelessly dominated or outplayed, but how could they give up 4 goals in the 2nd period? Yikers.

The 1st period was a fairly even affair. However, the Bisons had trouble pulling the trigger. They were outshot 15-9 but the territory was fairly even. Kyle Ross opened scoring for the Inbreds before Tyler Dittmer tied it up. Then the Bisons missed a wide open net when Wes Pawluk somehow missed an empty-netter. Oh well, 1-1 and a tight game we all thought.

But before the Zamboni's motor had cooled down after intermission Craig McCallam gave Sask a 2-1 lead. A minute or so later Chris Durand gave them a 3-1 lead. Both goals were softies where the Bisons watched a bouncing puck and Steve Christie somehow missed it. So, surprisingly, Jesse Deckert was hauled into goal to finish the 2nd period. He gave up two more goals and it was all over.

Christie was back in goal for the 3rd period, and gave up one more from behind the net. Riley Dudar and Kyle Howarth scored consolation goals for the Herd.

Myles Rumsey was back on the Bison D but Brandon Lockerby was out. Up front, Mike Hellyer and Chris Benias were out still out, as expected. I have not heard their status but they aren't expected back. Here's how they lined up:

MANITOBA

Goal:
Christie and Deckert

Defence:
Rumsey - Schappert
Mealy - D Crowley
Erb - Flynn

Forwards:
Howarth - Beller - Macaulay
Dudar - Walker - Waker
Duval - Cyr - Dittmer
Cown - T Crowley - Pawluk

SASKATCHEWAN

Goal:
Reekie (Holfeld)

Defence:
Zetariuk - Funk
Delahey - Ward
Hobbs - Sim

Forwards:
McCallam - Bosch - Bailey
Ross - Bortis - Hulak
Kaye - Durand - Gillen
Brisebois - Wagar - Smuk

Saturday's game is also online at 101.5 UMFM.

Here's where the teams stand going into the season finale: Sask could take 2nd place from Calgary if they win and Calgary loses in regulation. Otherwise, Sask is 3rd. Manitoba can't finish higher than 4th. Manitoba will get 4th if they win or lose in overtime. Lethbridge can only bump the Bisons out of the playoffs if they win and Manitoba loses in regulation.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 2
    CALGARY DINOS 5

|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF L STORY]

The Bisons were no doubt scoreboard-watching after they finished their game. They needed this result. They have not been lower than 4th all season and would not want to get there at the end. This game was tied 1-1 after the 1st period but then Calgary opened up a 3-1 in the latter half of the 2nd period to win going away. That is now 6 in a row for the Dinos. And they are 5-0 against Lethbridge on the season.

Image Image
    ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2
    UBC THUNDERBIRDS 3

|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [UBC STORY] ~ [U OF A STORY]

This is UBC's consolation prize. One has to wonder about the Evil Monkeys. Although it might be hard to gauge much based on this game, they are hardly stiking fear into their opponents. IMO, they may be more vulnerable to a home ice loss than Calgary right now. Saturday's game is also online at CITR.ca.
EASTERN PLAYOFFS:
    Image Image Image
    Only two series out east saw action Friday night. The rest resume Saturday. All six continue Sunday, if required. The CIS Friday Night Recap is up. The page for CIS Playoff Schedule and Results also is updated. The UNB-Acadia series was to start Friday as well, but was pushed back due to weather.

Image Image
    Game 1: Feb 25: Saint Mary's 3 St. F-X 5

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 25: UQTR 1 Carleton 4
WOMEN'S PLAYOFFS:
    Image Image
    Manitoba Bisons v Alberta Pandas
    Game 1: Feb 25: Manitoba 2 Alberta 0

The Bison Broads win! The Canada West Women's Site has a full report. And the Leaguestat Summary and U of M Story are also posted. Both teams will be going to the nationals.
NEXT UP:
    Feb 26
    Sask at Manitoba
    Lethbridge at Calgary
    Alberta at UBC
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:05 pm

February 26, 2011

HERD BOUNCES BACK ... EVIL MONKEYS ARE NEXT
. . . . . . . . . AND BISON BROADS ARE CHAMPS!

Image Image
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
MANITOBA BISONS 6

|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF M STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY]

First, the bad news (for me). My son hurt his shoulder towards the end of his playoff game this afternoon and was in no condition to attend a hockey game tonight. So we stopped off for burgers then listened to the game on UMFM 101.5 on our way home and then watched Blues Brothers. I guess when one has to miss a game it may as well be on a night that it is at least on radio.

Second, the good news (for everybody who is not a booze-soaked inbred hillbilly) Manitoba wiped the floor with the Banjo-Mutts, smacked them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, then threw them into their tractors and told them to hit the highway back to their sod shacks on the wind-blown prairie. I hope their 8-track players never broke down so they could soothe themselves with some relaxing banjo music on the trip home.

The only line-up change for the Herd was that Brandon Lockerby replaced Pat Flynn on the blueline.

The Bisons came out strong in the 1st period, bombarding Sneaky Reekie with 20 shots. However, Reekie came up big and kept his team in the game so that when they cashed in on a PP in the last minute, they were only down 2-1. Greg Beller scored the first goal and then it was Crowley from Crowley for the 2nd.

Sask leveled the score when Chris Durand jumped on a bobbled rebound and it was 2-2. But then the Bisons got rolling. Ian Duval notched his first of the season and Beller (with his 8th) made it 4-2 after two.

The Bisons salted it away early in the 3rd when Jared Walker notched his 9th after only 43 seconds. Kyle Howarth (with his 13th) scored shorthanded to conclude the scoring. Sask had only 4 shots on net in the 3rd period.

One thing not discussed on radio was the injury status of Mike Hellyer and Chris Benias. My assumption is that neither will be playable.

This means that the Bisons finish 4th with 32 points, down 2 points and one notch in the standings from last year. They will also visit the Evil Monkeys for a best-of-three series in Edmontown next weekend. After losing twice there last weekend, once on a shoot-out and once in overtime, I believe that the Bisons have a great chance to knock the Primates out of the nationals for the first time since King Kong was dancing with an organ grinder.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 2
    CALGARY DINOS 1

(in overtime)
    |> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF L STORY]

Too little, too late for the H0rny Ones this year. When all is said and done, they miss the playoffs by one point. Lethbridge took a 1-0 lead after 22 seconds and then nobody scored until Calgary tied it up with just over 6 minutes left. Lethbridge won in OT. But when combined with the other scores, Calgary still kept 2nd place and Lethbridge kept 5th. Still, Lethbridge was outscored 109-97 on the season. So IMO they got the most possible mileage from their performance this year.

Image Image
    ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4
    UBC THUNDERBIRDS 0

|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [UBC STORY] ~ [U OF A SUMMARY & STORY]

The Evil Monkeys bounced back nicely with a convincing win in British California. However, it did follow an unconvincing loss on Friday night. It all adds up to a situation where the Bisons will head into next weekend thinking of winning the series.

I also heard via HF Boards that T-Bird Mike Liambas (the infamous OHL grad who almost crippled another player with a hit from behind, then turned pro and was suspended from the IHL) was reinvolved and injured Eric Hunter, Alberta's captain, on Friday night. The Globe and Mail is the only source I could find for this story.
    Allan Maki wrote:Alberta head coach Eric Thurston said the incident occurred late in the second period after Hunter had tripped Liambis, a first-year Canada West player who was suspended the balance of the 2009-2010 OHL season for running 16-year-old Kitchener Ranger Ben Fanelli into the boards. Fanelli suffered a fractured skull.

“Liambis goes right after Hunter and drops his gloves and hits him from the side and behind then plants him into the ice,” Thurston said Saturday. “(Hunter) had cuts under his (right eye) and stitches and he’s had headaches and dizziness. Our trainers were with him all night and the doctor will be examining him today.

“He didn’t play the rest of the game and won’t be playing (in Saturday’s second game at UBC).”
EASTERN PLAYOFFS:
    For more links on the Eastern Playoffs check the CIS Playoff Schedule & Results Page and the OUA and AUS conference sites. There is no CIS Saturday Recap posted as of Sunday morning. Here's a quick look at the complete picture:

Image Image
    Game 1: Feb 26: Acadia 0 New Brunswick 4

Image Image

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 26: Nipissing 4 McGill 6
    Game 3: Feb 27: not required - McGill wins series

Image Image

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 26: W. Ontario 1 Waterloo 2

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 26: Laurier 3 Guelph 0
WOMEN'S PLAYOFFS:
    Image Image
    Manitoba Bisons v Alberta Pandas
    Game 1: Feb 25: Manitoba 2 Alberta 0
    Game 2: Feb 26: Manitoba 2 Alberta 1
    Game 3: Feb 27: not required - Manitoba wins series

The Bison Broads win! The Canada West Women's Site may have a full report by the time you read. And the Leaguestat Summary, U of M Story, and U of A Story are posted. This game was tied 1-1 going into the 3rd and then the Bison Broads scored on one of their two 3rd period shots to pick up the victory and their second conference title. This would have to go down as an unexpected title. So good for the gals!
NEXT UP:
    March 4 - 6
    Sask at Calgary
    Manitoba at Alberta
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 am

NEWS AND UPDATES

NEWS:
    Image Regarding the Man-Sask series, the Star-Phoenix's report on Friday and Saturday and The Boxscore News' story on Saturday are all up now.

Image The Mike Liambas story has been generating a lot of press across the country. Here are a whole pile of links for you to check out:
    The story from Vancouver gets more of the UBC side to the story:
    The Vancouver Sun wrote:According to T-Birds head coach Milan Dragicevic, Liambas punched Hunter from the side in retaliation for a spear to the groin. Dragicevic said the UBC program does not condone Liambas's actions but emphasized it was not a Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore type incident.

Liambas received two minutes for instigating, five for fighting and a game misconduct.

"There was no pre-meditation," Dragicevic explained Sunday. "Our player got speared, there was no call and he retaliated. That's what happened. The two players were jostling, they were skating together, side-by-side and Mike dropped his gloves. Their player got knocked to his knees, both players dropped their gloves, there was a tussle and then they were separated.

"Their player skated off on his own and, from accounts, he had a concussion. He sat out Saturday's game for precautionary reasons."

Dragicevic called Liambas 'a character player' and said he is welcome to continue playing for the Thunderbirds. This was Liambas's first year in the program. He is studying human kinetics. The 22-yearold Toronto native finished last season in the International League where, at one point, he received a five-game suspension for a hit that ruptured an opponent's spleen. He was earlier kicked out of the OHL for a hit that fractured the skull of Kitchener's Ben Fanelli.

Dragicevic doesn't feel this latest incident should be viewed as a stain on the UBC hockey program.

"We don't condone what Mike Liambas did to Eric Hunter," said Dragicevic. "That's an action on the ice that nobody is going to condone. However, as a person, Mike Liambas is someone who has character, grit, leadership qualities, volunteers in the community and does a lot of outside activities that don't necessarily get recognized.

"We want Mike Liambas back. He had an 87-per-cent average coming out of high school and was an honours student. Those players are had to find. Sometimes the perception out there is not right. We support Mike Liambas as a person 100 per cent and we are going to support him through this as well."

Dragicevic, who has coached the T-Birds for nine seasons, said he has witnessed incidents worse than the one that went down Friday night.

"I've seen eye-gouging and hair-pulling," he noted.
    I wish that there was some video of this. Hopefully we will also be getting an injury update in advance of the Bisons v Primates series.

Image The weekend updates on CW hockey at The CIS Blog and South Campus Sports also goes into the Liambas situation while also recapping the three series splits which occurred on the weekend.

Image The big championship win for the Bison Broads is covered at The Boxscore News, The Winnipeg Free Press, and The Winnipeg Sun. The nationals go from March 10-13. The CIS Tournament Site has information on women's playoffs across the country.
WESTERN PLAYOFFS:
    C.W. Semi-Finals (best-of-three)

Both semi-final winners will be off to the nationals. No previews are up yet and I'll be posting mine later in the week, but ITM the schedules are out and here they are:

Image Image
    Alberta Golden Bears v Manitoba Bisons
    Game 1: March 4 [SSN Webcast 8:30 CT]
    Game 2: March 5 [SSN Webcast 8:30 CT]
    Game 3: March 6 [SSN Webcast 8:00 CT]

Image Image
    Calgary Dinos v Saskatchewan Huskies
    Game 1: March 4
    Game 2: March 5
    Game 3: March 6
EASTERN PLAYOFFS:
    For more links on the Eastern Playoffs check the CIS Playoff Schedule & Results Page, the CIS Sunday night recap, and the OUA and AUS conference sites. Here's a quick look at the complete picture:

Since UNB is hosting the nationals, and gets an automatic berth, SMU and SFX will be hoping that UNB wins their series so that their winner will be off to the nationals.

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 27: Acadia 2 New Brunswick 3 (4 OT)

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 27: St. F-X 3 Saint Mary's 4

When all is said and done, the favourites went 6-0 in the OUA East playoffs. So we will once again see an all-Quebec final in the OUA East.

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 26: Nipissing 4 McGill 6
    Game 3: Feb 27: not required - McGill wins series

Image Image
    Game 3: Feb 27: Carleton 0 UQTR 4

The OUA West saw two mild upsets, Lakehead going in the first round and Laurier in the second. The Urban Cowboys have won as expected and Guelph appear to be fulfilling their long-awaited promise.

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 26: W. Ontario 1 Waterloo 2
    Game 3: Feb 27: Waterloo 0 W. Ontario 6

Image Image
    Game 2: Feb 26: Laurier 3 Guelph 0
    Game 3: Feb 27: Guelph 2 Laurier 1

OUA East Final (best-of-three)

Image Image
    McGill Redmen v UQTR Patriotes
    Game 1: March 2
    Game 2: March 4

OUA West Final (best-of-three)

Image Image
    Western Ontario Mustangs v Guelph Gryphons
    Game 1: March 2
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:18 am

WEEKEND PREVIEW

Image Image

MANITOBA BISONS (13-9-6, #7 in OHT34)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (19-6-3, #2 in OHT34)
Friday, March 4th, 8:30 p.m. CST @ Edmonton : [SSN Webcast]
Saturday, March 5th, 8:30 p.m. CST @ Edmonton : [SSN Webcast]
Sunday, March 6th, 8:00 p.m. CST @ Edmonton : [SSN Webcast]

ALBERTA LINKS: [TEAM SITE] : [STATS] : [ROSTER] : [SCHEDULE/RESULTS]

There was a time when defeating the Evil Monkeys in a must-win series to qualify for nationals was a daunting task. This year, not so much. They have the pedigree and are favoured but this one will come down to power plays and breaks.

There are the usual pre-series articles posted at the U of A Site and GoBisons.ca. The U of M offered up a second story ominously entitled "Bison men’s hockey seeks first playoff series win over Alberta for the first time in 40 years".

The Evil Monkeys have won more titles than anybody. They have 13 national and 47 conference titles, The Bisons have won one national title (1965), two CW titles (1920 and 1965), and four GPAC titles (1976, 1977, 1984, 1985). They also have a Memorial Cup (1923), an Allan Cup (1928), and a World Championship (1931).

The stories point out that the Bisons are 1-7 in series against Alberta with the last win coming 40 years ago. They do miss out one further loss, in 1985. That year the Bisons won the GPAC title and Alberta won the CW. In a "Western Regional Playoff" Alberta won 2-1 with the last game in OT. This information is at the Bison History Page. This is worth pointing out because back then the honchos out east made the conferences have a preliminary playoff rather than let both winners qualify for nationals. Now, since the three Quebec teams joined the OUA, however, they have deemed that the Quebec conference keeps its berth which has been merged with the OUA. This means that the OUA gets at least two berths in a field of six teams every year. (I blame Trudeau, Chretien, and Mulroney who all deserved torture.)

I digress. In more recent times the Bisons have closed the gap with the Primates. Going into their series in Edmonton two weeks ago, the teams had split 5 straight series, and Alberta eaked past the Bisons 2-1 in last year's final. This year's games have been tight battles as well. In Winnipeg, the Bisons won the opener 4-2 before Alberta took the rematch 3-2. In Edmontown, the Evil Monkeys took both games,4-3 in a shootout and then 4-3 in overtime.

One thing not mentioned is the injury status of both sides. Alberta captain Eric Hunter was beat up in the infamous incident with Mike Liambas, and Manitoba captain Mike Hellyer was last seen on crutches.

Also, the Bisons announced their Mike Ridley Award winners. Most players get $1,000 smackers!

OUT OF TOWN:
    Image Image
    Saskatchewan Huskies at Calgary Dinos

This series has previews at both the U of C Site and the U of S Site. Calgary was #4 in the OHT34 whilst Sask was #6. There is no on-line audio or video. Calgary closed the season strong, going 10-3-1 after Christmas. However, two of the losses were to Sask, by decisive 6-3 and 3-0 scores. Sask took 3 of 4 games against the Dinos on the year. Here's an interesting tidbit:
    GoDinos.com wrote:The second-place finish is Calgary’s best since the 1996-97 season when the Dinos posted a sparkling 22-3-3 record to win the pennant. The Dinos have finished third seven times since 1997, but this will be the first semi-final series hosted at Father David Bauer Arena in 14 years.

Two Canada West teams will get a shot at the six-team tournament this year, with the other being the winner of the Alberta-Manitoba series in Edmonton this weekend. Host UNB is already in and will be joined by two from the OUA and one more from the AUS.

The Dinos last participated in the national tournament in 2000 and have nary a red-and-white banner to their name, while Saskatchewan was last a part of the dance in 2008. The Huskies have to look all the way back to 1982-83 for their last (and only) CIS title, when former Calgary Flames head coach Dave King was at the helm and current Huskies coach Dave Adolph was in the Saskatchewan line-up.

Calgary (17-8-3) has not won a Canada West title in 15 years, and this weekend’s battle with Saskatchewan (17-11-0) at home gives them an opportunity to change that in the comforts of their own Olympic-sized rink.

EASTERN PLAYOFFS:
    For more links on the Eastern Playoffs check the CIS Playoff Schedule & Results Page and the OUA and AUS conference sites. Here's an update on this week's games:

Image Image

Image Image
    Game 3: March 1: St. F-X 3 Saint Mary's 2

Image Image
    Game 1: March 2: UQTR 3 McGill 5
    Game 2: March 4

I saw a bit on game 1 on-line. McGill should cruise to a win in the series. UQTR is NOT a top 10 team. Against the AUS these teams went 2-4-1, including a UQTR split with the STUpids.

OUA West Final (best-of-three)

Image Image
    Game 1: March 2: Guelph 1 W. Ontario 4

The series is previewed at the CIS Blog. Guelph is now in the official top 10. (Oops, I puked.) They were 4th in the OUA West. They were 7-4-1 after Christmas. Not bad, but hardly UNB-like against mostly C level teams. Expect the Urban Cowboys to win and qualify for the nationals.
MISC NEWS:
    The official CIS Top Ten has been released and is discussed at the CIS Blog. It is a curious poll, as always.

Former Jet Mike Eagles has stepped down as coach of the STUpids, as discussed at CIS Blog. He remains the AD.
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 am

NEWS UPDATE

Image Image
The Winnipeg Sun has a Bison story.
Kirk Penton wrote:The Bisons will be without captain Mike Hellyer, who suffered what is believed to be a season-ending injury two weeks ago against the Bears.
I suspected as much. The story also has a link to a fabulous SUNshine Girl! There is also a story in the Edmonton Sun (which mostly looks back at last year's series) and The Gateway. The latter story implies that Hunter is out this weekend but could be back later if the Primates advance. There is also a story in the Brandon Sun stating that former Wheat King Matt Lowry is red-shirting for the Bisons and will be playing next year.

Image Image
The Saskatoon Star-Phoenix also has a preview of the Mutts-Dinos. The Mutts have had a flu bug. They should stop drinking out of toilets!

Image Image
In OUA women's hockey, Queen's beat Guelph in 6 OT periods, setting a record for the longest university game ever. The game came within 9 minutes of the NHL record from 1936. Stories are at the Boxscore News, CTV, and lots of others via Google.

EASTERN PLAYOFFS:

Image Image
Game 3: March 3: New Brunswick 1 Acadia 3

Acadia staved off elimination with the win, to the chagrin of SMU and SFX. The rest of the series pick up on Friday.
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:58 pm

March 4, 2011

BISONS LOSE OPENER

Image Image
MANITOBA BISONS 0
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF A SUMMARY & STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY]

Game one of the series was a bit of a surprise in that the teams played extremely defensive and surrendered very few shots on goal. The Evil Monkeys took a 2-0 lead in the first, where they outshot the Bisons 9-4. Most of those shots came in a brief spurt just past the mid-way point during which Alberta scored both goals.

The Bisons generally carried the play in the 2nd and 3rd, largely due to the fact that Alberta was clinging to a lead and seemed happy to defend it. Nevertheless, the Bisons were unable to cash in on their chances and Alberta ended up scoring an empty-netter when the Bisons pulled their goalie with about 3 minutes to go.

The Bisons were without captain Mike Hellyer but Alberta did dress Eric Hunter.

My guess is the Bisons will try to play the same type of game on Saturday (and hopefully Sunday) but hope they cash in on their chances and that Steve Christie makes the stops at their end.

SSN Canada will have on-line viewing of both Saturday's game (starting at 8:30 CT) and Sunday's game (starting at 8:00 CT, if necessary).

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
    CALGARY DINOS 4

|> [C.W. FRIDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY]

The Banjo-Mutts took control of the game in the 2nd period and took a 2-1 lead over the Dinos. However, 3 goals in 90 seconds mid-way through the 3rd period turned the game around and gave the Dinos a game one victory.

Game two goes Saturday at 8:00 CT and game 3, if necessary, will go Sunday at 8:00 CT. There is no on-line audio or video, so we have to rely upon LeagueStat for live updates.

The CIS Playoff Schedule and Results are updated and the CIS Friday Recap has reports from everywhere except Acadia.

Image Image
    Game 3: March 3: New Brunswick 1 Acadia 3
    Game 4: March 4: New Brunswick 3 Acadia 2
    Game 5: March 8: not required, UNB wins series 3-1

Image Image

Since UNB will host the nationals, the AUS berth will go to the winner of the SMU-SFX series.

Image Image
    Game 2: March 4: McGill 1 UQTR 6

McGill's goalie had a rough night. He only faced 26 shots! This snapped McGill's 9 game playoff winning streak over UQTR.

Image Image
Hollywood2

Postby Hollywood2 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:19 pm

March 5, 2011

BISONS ELIMINATED ON STRANGE BOUNCE

Image Image
MANITOBA BISONS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2

|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF A SUMMARY & STORY] ~ [U OF M STORY]

Ugh! This was a pretty good playoff game with a fast pace and lots of hits. The Bisons had a rough patch in the 2nd period where they were outshot and outplayed for about a 10-12 minute stretch. But otherwise it was end-to-end all night. The winning goal was a shot going wide that hit Jordan Cyr in either the back of the head, butt, or skate and into the net. The announcers and game report saw it differently but I thought it was off the butt. Any way you slice it, it was not a "called shot".

The lone Bison goal was a 2-on-1 which started while the Bisons were short-handed and finished as Chad Erb just stepped out of the box. Nolan Waker fed Del Cowan a nice pass which was converted. Incidentally, Cowan narrowly missed another shorthanded chance earlier on.

On the weekend, neither side had a PP to speak of. Manitoba went o-5 on Friday and 0-4 on Saturday. Alberta was 1-5 on Friday and 0-5 on Saturday. That combines for 1-19.

But the story for the Bisons was the same as for most games after Christmas: they could generate but not convert scoring chances. One goal on 50 shots won't do it. Was Mucha hot? Maybe. But the stats have been the same most weekends lately. Not every goaltender they face can be on a hot streak.

The off-season shopping list for the Herd will be a goaltender to replace Steve Christie and as many scorers as possible. I would like to see Sidney Crosby rest up from the NHL for a season and play for the Bisons!

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD:
    Image Image
    SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 3
    CALGARY DINOS 2

|> [C.W. SATURDAY RECAP] ~ [U OF C STORY] ~ [U OF S STORY]

This series is as expected. The teams have exchanged 3-2 wins and game 3 goes Sunday night at 8:00 CT. There is no on-line audio or video so it will be LeagueStat for live updates.

The CIS Playoff Schedule and Results are updated and the CIS Saturday Recap has reports from all three games.

Image Image
    Game 4: March 6: SSN WEBCAST

Sunday's game would complete the field for the nationals if St. F-X wins. In any event, the winner will play UNB for the AUS title and both finalists will be at the nationals. The game starts at 5:00 CT and is available at the SSN on-line link.

Image Image
    Game 2: March 4: McGill 1 UQTR 6

I have been unable to locate a link for a webcast of game 3. The McGilligutties would host the Urban Cowboys for the Queen's Cup with a win, whilst the Patties would visit the Urban Cowboys.

Image Image
    Game 2: March 5: W. Ontario 4 Guelph 2
    Game 3: March 6: not required, W. Ontario wins series 2-0

The Urban Cowboys breezed through the OUA West and have a berth at the nationals tucked away. With Lakehead going for a dump this year, and the rest of the teams playing at a homogenized Brock-level, there really was no other contender in this division.
Hollywood2

PreviousNext

Return to Winnipeg Jets Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts