Ourbombers.com - Winnipeg Blue Bombers Message Board

Unoffical Bombers Board since 1997

Ottawa Red Blacks logo/jersey

Discussion of the Blue Bombers and the CFL

Moderators: Shankman, Colin Unger, Raydawg, bigg jay, kenny23

Postby Access_Blue » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Great logo (already tops in pro sports) and the name makes sense. Just heard Hunt's interview about the jersey and branding and it's an awesome idea. The lumberjack being the brand is awesome with the jersey having a cutting lumberjack uniform theme in the jersey.

Once people get over the fact the Red Blacks is nothing like it sounds but after the long Ottawa Logging history it will all come together.
Access_Blue
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Postby drive4dough » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Access_Blue wrote:Great logo (already tops in pro sports) and the name makes sense. Just heard Hunt's interview about the jersey and branding and it's an awesome idea. The lumberjack being the brand is awesome with the jersey having a cutting lumberjack uniform theme in the jersey.

Once people get over the fact the Red Blacks is nothing like it sounds but after the long Ottawa Logging history it will all come together.

Saw one facebook posting about the Red Black name, and there were couple hundred comments at the time..... All negative... Lumberjack history? LOL..... Nice damage control by the marketing "wizards".
drive4dough
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Postby iso_55 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Yeah, when I think of the name RedBlacks, an image of a lumberjack sure comes to mind. NOT!! I don't mind the logo but the name is friggin' *******. What a bunch of BS. The name RedBlacks is more embarassing than having two teams with the name Riders. When they make the name official & fans see that hideous jersey, the people in Ottawa are going to be upset.
User avatar
iso_55
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 am
Location: Calgary

Postby gbill2004 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Innovative & different doesn't always = bad. Pretty sure this will be one if the most popular teams names in sports in a year or two, once people get over the "different" factor.
gbill2004
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:03 pm

Postby iso_55 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:14 pm

With such a negative reaction to the name & the pics of the checkered jersey I saw, I have my doubts. Sports fans are a diferent breed. Stuff just doesn't grow on them... Either we like them or we don't.
User avatar
iso_55
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 am
Location: Calgary

Postby grumpy old man » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 pm

The name will grow on them. It's not that bad and hardly embarrassing. Uness the red and white sox are embarrassing. Or the All Blacks. Or the Blue Bombers!
User avatar
grumpy old man
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Postby FrostyWinnipeg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:59 am

No one on here has included the logo in this thread so....

Image

The name I do not mind but the logo :P Do we need another team logo that is a letter?

And where's the B?
Willy & Hall 2014
User avatar
FrostyWinnipeg
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:48 am

Postby drive4dough » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 am

For the record.... The old Ottawa team was call the Rough Riders.... 2 separate words, as compared to Sask being Roughriders.... one word.
drive4dough
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Postby grumpy old man » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 am

There's been so many forums where this is a topic. I can't remember where I posted what. So, for fear of repeating myself, I don't mind the name at all, don't care for the logo.
User avatar
grumpy old man
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Postby Access_Blue » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:55 pm

what is worse?


WHITE SOX or REDBLACKS?


naming a team after footwear sounds silly but once you get the tradition and historical purpose it all makes sense.
Access_Blue
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Postby Kelownabomberfan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Access_Blue wrote:what is worse?


WHITE SOX or REDBLACKS?


naming a team after footwear sounds silly but once you get the tradition and historical purpose it all makes sense.


Redskins. There's a name for you. Imagine trying to go with a name like that in this day and age? :lol:
2013 is here, Mack is gone, Buck is on the bench. Things can only get better right?
User avatar
Kelownabomberfan
 
Posts: 13852
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: K-Town - naturally

Postby drive4dough » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Kelownabomberfan wrote:
Access_Blue wrote:what is worse?


WHITE SOX or REDBLACKS?


naming a team after footwear sounds silly but once you get the tradition and historical purpose it all makes sense.


Redskins. There's a name for you. Imagine trying to go with a name like that in this day and age? :lol:


Indians.... Braves.... There are all kinds of names for people to get in a knot over
drive4dough
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Postby Jimmy Pop » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:03 am

Kelownabomberfan wrote:
Access_Blue wrote:what is worse?


WHITE SOX or REDBLACKS?


naming a team after footwear sounds silly but once you get the tradition and historical purpose it all makes sense.


Redskins. There's a name for you. Imagine trying to go with a name like that in this day and age? :lol:


Relevant.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/06/0 ... kins-name/
User avatar
Jimmy Pop
 
Posts: 721
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:32 pm
Location: 40 yard line @ IGF. Section 131, Row 24

Postby badger35 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

gbill2004 wrote:Innovative & different doesn't always = bad. Pretty sure this will be one if the most popular teams names in sports in a year or two, once people get over the "different" factor.

I doubt any team in the CFL will be one of the most popular teams names in sport.
badger35
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:52 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Postby Snow_Rogue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 pm

The logo isn't too bad, but I'm still not crazy about the name, colours are usually nicknames not team names. I also believe that Ottawa should have gone more old school and traditional with the name in order to sync up better with the rest of the teams.
"Well you can wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which gets filled first!"
User avatar
Snow_Rogue
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:57 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Next

Return to Blue Bomber Discussion

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 8 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 428 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests